Completed Project - Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Stock pan. I'm using a -10an bulkhead fitting for the drain.

IMG_20180316_182158.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, is that a built in rubber seal like some drain plugs?

Excellent. I was planning to make the same drains for a turbo before I changed my mind. But I am going to install external filters plus a pre-oiler pump to run before the starter engages.

I still might need to run a line to the pan depending on how I route the oil to and from the main system and external pump. I'm not sure yet, I want the filters to be separate from the pre-oiler if I can. I haven't through through that completely yet.

One head down. Took quite a while with only a Dremel and sanding drums

IMG_20180319_130537.jpg

IMG_20180319_185239.jpg

yea, those iron heads are brutes. It has to be a labour of love.

Oh, that is hell to sand bigger. I've got a single carbide porting bit, and I've done about 3 1/2 heads with it. Sand paper is great for the final step and the throat a bit, but you need a real porting tool to remove much metal. I bought this one bit about 30 years ago, and I've used it for lots of other things. It makes short work of edges of control arms, brackets etc, deburring the edges. It was about a $15 tool in the 80's. I need a couple of others to do some aluminum later on, no need to buy a set unless you do that kind of work a lot.

One head down. Took quite a while with only a Dremel and sanding drums

You have some serious patience. Most any work I do with my Dremel, I expect things to take a while...

Update:
Engine is mostly back together. I'll be working on the cold side piping on monday.

Pics

IMG_20180414_014349.jpg

IMG_20180412_192842.jpg

IMG_20180412_225836.jpg

Any pics of what you did with the oil return at the oil pan? Looks great!

Yeah, almost forgot. Just dropped the pan, drilled it for the fitting, tightened down the fitting with some blue locktite and installed the line.

IMG_20180402_200437.jpg

Just need to shorten the drain line and hook it to the turbo

IMG_20180414_194910.jpg

IMG_20180414_194955.jpg

Very Nice!

Ditto, and I like that black woven hose. That engine bay looks almost huge with everything removed. Well done, it looks like you are down to a lot of little stuff to finish it up.

Nice work, I really enjoyed seeing all the pictures.
I cant wait to see how much fun you have with it when it is running!
Keep up the good work!

Thanks everyone. I had some thinwall stainless laying around so im using it for the intake piping. The whole thing will be two pieces and is easily removed. Wastegate flanges are welded up and ive started on vacuum routing and layoutfor the MAF and BOV

IMG_20180425_164127.jpg

IMG_20180423_135020_294.jpg

IMG_20180425_164127.jpg

IMG_20180425_001249.jpg

It took some figuring but i get to keep my factory battery location

This has got to be the most ive ever fit into an engine bay. It is packed! Im seriously concerned with heat now. I think a gt500 style hood would let in enough air to keep it cool.

Screenshot_20180130-133644.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

super impressive work!
That had to be slow going. Kind of a labour of love.

Back