2007 sport trac carrier bearing problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 sport trac carrier bearing problem

timkrieger40

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford sport trac
Hi, my name is Tim, I have a 2007 sport trac with a carrier bearing problem. I was told the part was almost $800. Money is tight and I am interested in any ideas on how to fix it inexpensively, is it ok to drive for a bit until fixed, would you try and find the part of the whole drive shaft at a junk yard?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

Is yours a v6 or v8, 4x2 or 4x4, cv-joint center or u-joint cross type?

I've slid your post over to the Sport Trac forums.

carrier bearing noise

I have a 2007 SPORT TRAC WITH THE CARRIER BEARING NOISE. I AM TRYING TO FIND A NUMBER FOR THE BEARING. IT LOOKS LIKE IT COULD BE REPLACED INSTEAD OF PURCHASING THE COMPLETE DRIVE SHAFT. IF I CAN GET ANY TYPE OF NUMBER I AM IN THE AUTO PART BUSINESS SO I CAN FIND A VENDOR TO SUPPLY JUST THE BEARING OR BEARING SUPPORT ASSY. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL . WILLY K

The driveline on most of the modern vehicles ( Ford too ) are designed as a non serviceable throw away part. You may want to consider a single piece driveline made by a local shop. It would most likely cost about half of a new one from Ford. You could even have an aluminum one made. It would be quite a bit lighter and plenty rigid. We have drivelines made for cars we work on in our shop all the time. There is no need for a two piece drive line. The Raptor we just did a new engine and blower on even comes with a huge aluminum single piece driveline. Our rear diffs don't even move so clearance is not issue for us. You would most likely have to supply your yoke and diff. flange along with the proper measurements. Not a particularly hard thing at all. Not to mention that a custom made piece would or could have heavier duty and serviceable U-joints... :usa:

2007-2010 Sport Trac rear driveshaft center support carrier bearing

..It appears the carrier bearing may be offered. a guy directed me to it on ebae. the diagram shows it being for a 2wd and for use on a 3 joint shaft with a slip yoke.

The 2007~2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac that I know about, has 2 High-Speed cv assemblies (1 at transfer case / 1 near the carrier bearing ), Center Support Carrier Bearing and 1 universal joint at the rear 4 bolt flange.

The carrier bearing may actually come off of the shaft ( unlike 2004+ Ford F150 models which are non-replaceable ). = BUT, it looks like you will have to dis-mantle the center HSCV Joint in order to get the carrier bearing off. The hscv joint has a nice "crimp" holding the cv together, and may be difficult to re-seal properly without a special tool...

I have never tore this HSCV apart on this model.. - just observations!

A 1PC, 2 joint shaft is easy to make, there is a "conversion" flange that mounts in place of the stock HSCV joint. = But this design has caused vibrations in 8/10 shafts built.. Even though the angles dont look bad, and the rear suspension is fixed - "IFS" style...

A 2pc replacement shaft has worked perfectly.. No vibration complaints and the design has been out for over a year now..

To find out more - get the Part number from the tube on your existing drive shaft.. The number will look something like 7A2Z-4R602-k or 7a24-4k145-dc ( there are several ford part numbers/revisions )

Locate your number, enter it in a search engine - to find out companies that are making replacement assemblies.

lately I have felt some driveshaft vibrations. I have 60k on my truck and from reading these posts am afraid it's going to be an issue here soon.

found this aftermarket replacement, uses ujoints instead of HSCV's..

http://www.fortwayneclutch.com/inde...k-7a244k145dc-7a2z-4r602-k-7a24-4k145-gd.htmlhttp://www.fortwayneclutch.com/index.php/2007-2010-ford-explorer-sport-trac-new-replacement-rear-drive-shaft-assembly-with-carrier-bearing-sku-7a24-4k145-dc-7a2z-4r602-d-7a2z4r602g-7a2z4r602k-7a244k145dc-7a2z-4r602-k-7a24-4k145-gd.html

Yo, 06bluez - Thanks for the info. I ordered a replacment drive shaft from Fort Wayne. It took a little ajustment (tran. case to fwd shaft bolts had to be shortend). Fort Wayne Clutch & Driveline, are good people to deal with. One word of note is that they are swamped with orders. It took just under a month to get my new shaft. As this wasn't my pri. vehicle, it wasn't that big of a prob. The new shaft was much "beefyer" than the OEM. and inst.was straight forward. Even with bolt adj., 7 beer job:). Thanks again!

Cool glad it worked out! My DS never got any worse, so I'm still on the OEM setup at 103k,. Just had to replace the transmission though so that hurt...

Hi, my name is Tim, I have a 2007 sport trac with a carrier bearing problem. I was told the part was almost $800. Money is tight and I am interested in any ideas on how to fix it inexpensively, is it ok to drive for a bit until fixed, would you try and find the part of the whole drive shaft at a junk yard?

20180515_133616.jpg

Sir;
Here is the part number for the carrier bearing. This is for a 2007 Sport Trac with V8 engine and two wheel drive. You can go to any Ford dealership in your area and pick one up for your vehicle (no driveshaft purchase needed), or go to eBay and you can find deals as low as $135 approximately for Ford OEM dealer. My dealership here at Fort Bragg charged $188.
Hope this helps!

Back