Can't find a throttle cable!?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't find a throttle cable!?!?

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT AWD
My throttle cable is stretching.....I've gone from 1 zip tie to keep it taut to 3 in the last 6 months. I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere, OEM or aftermarket. XL2Z9A758AA is the part number but obviously has been discontinued. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it will be a junkyard item.

Yea, that's what I was afraid of. Not that I mind a junkyard item but if I'm going to the trouble to replace something I sure would prefer it to be new

Where does that show the same part number? I can't find it.

That's for the ranger 2.5L I4. It looks the same.....the length may be different. It might be worth a shot though.

I'm not sure that's true. Doesn't the basic part number just identify it as a throttle cable in general?

The middle identifies the part type, the prefix is the build date and vehicle types, the ending is the variation of the part. So it all needs to match, unless it's a superseded part.

As an example, I just hunted the torsion bar isolator pads for our 2nd gens. That is an F87Z 5B333 AA part, obsolete now. In searching, I found listings with it for other part numbers. The 98-11 Ranger with the same suspension uses a superseded part, 6L5Z 5B335 AA. I found three of those on eBay for $53 each. The old one was $30 from Ford ten years ago. Ford still carries the new Ranger part, for almost $70 each now.

Ford parts hunting is a tricky thing to do. Sometimes you get lucky and find NOS parts for great prices. Sometimes there's nothing left to get. The battery cables for example are not to be found, I've looked several times with no results.

Keep looking, it often takes a lot pf patience.

My apologies to linking to a close but no cigar part. If I get a chance later, I'll do some more hunting.

Well I ordered it anyway.....hopefully it will work or maybe with some modifications. I'll let you know when it comes.

Yep.....that definitely DIDNT work lol. The cable matched perfectly and was identical.....except it was about 4 in short. Too bad......junkyard it is I guess.

Back