Trailer socket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer socket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Google.
The Ex isn't wired for trailer brakes, so you will need a brake controller and wire it in also. Not easy but not impossible.

faq043-trailer7waydia-ver2_2_800.jpg

Call etrailer.com customer service. They will ask some questions about your Ex, and help you get set up.
I added all wiring/fuses/etc for lights, 12V Aux, and brake controller to 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager to tow a 3000 lb popup. As was said, not easy, but not impossible. Took me 2 days, including adding the hitch receiver.

Thanks for the reply. I made a bracket, installed the socket and wired everything except the brakes. My trailer is way under 3000 lbs and I don't need brakes. If I find it's unsafe I'll get the controller. At least all the lights work and I can charge the battery

Your brakes are designed to handle up to the GVWR of the Explorer. If the combined, loaded weight of the Explorer-plus-camper is greater than the GVWR of the Explorer, I highly recommend you run with trailer brakes functioning.

Thanks for your concern. We're taking a one day trip next week so we'll see how it works and if we need brakes. In another lifetime I used to tow a 5000 lb boat with my '68 Ford 3/4 ton truck with a 12' slide in camper and yes the trailer had brakes. The whole rig weighed 15K lbs.

Back