2001 Explorer Sport Trac PATS system. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Trac PATS system.

Patricia Miller

Reaction score
City, State
Tunnelton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
If the keyless entry pad is disconnected would that cause it to die out while idling it runs good on the road but if idling will just shut off as if you turned the key off. Any help would really be appreciated. Thank You.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the check engine light turn on when you turn the key to on ( cluster light bulb check) ?

does it stay lit when engine is running?

This may help. You can go to an autozone , or sometimes an oreilly's auto parts store to have the codes scanned.

The codes will be displayed as such PXXXX with the X's being digits.

Please have the codes scanned, and write them down. We don't need the definitions, just the codes.

They scan these codes free of charge hoping you will buy the parts they recommend. While they could be correct, in most cases they are not. Don't purchase any parts. Thank them for reading the codes, and post them up here in this thread. You can always return to the parts store for parts if needed.

I got the codes the only one it throws is P0118 any help that someone could give would be greatly appreciated this vehicle is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

Could be the ect sensor is causing the issues.

Verify coolant level in the radiator - also look in the reservoir. If the coolant level seems good, I would replace the ect sensor

There are 2 "coolant" sensors. One is for the gauge, usually called a "sender unit". Ignore this one.
Replace the sensor with 2 wires.

Here is a link with several pictures of 4.0 liter ford coolant sensor ( and sender) locations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=For...hdjVAhWDMGMKHRAcC50Q_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=791

You will loose some coolant when changing this. And, I am not positive but the thermostat housing which this threads into might give issues also. Be careful not to crack it.

Will get it replaced ASAP hopefully that will cure the problem. Will post after it's done that will determine if I have to shoot it to rput it out of my misery or not thanks again.

Thank you very much Turdle it is finally fixed and I really appreciate the help you gave it was the ect sensor got it changed about a month ago and it has done well ever since. So again thank you.

On a SOHC engine, both the sender and sensor have 2 wires. Makes it hard to know which is which is which.

Tip: While the engine is warm enough to register a temp on the gauge. Disconnect one of the 2 connectors on top of the t-stat housing and when the gauge drops to cold, replace the other one. That will be the ECT sensor.

Thank you koda 2000 I appreciate the info but got it fixed about a month ago and it is running good now.

Back