Big Rust Hole Rear Passenger Panel Fixable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Rust Hole Rear Passenger Panel Fixable?

Donald Sanders

Reaction score
City, State
Holland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone this is my first post on the forum and I have quite the question for you guys. So I have had this Rust hole on my 2005 Explorer since I got it but when I went to the auto body the other day the guy told me that he wouldn't do anything for me because it would cost $1,200 and that he sees this issue all the time with Explorers. I appreciated his honesty because that price point really isn't worth it especially with the age of the car. But I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is anything I could do about it to fill it in and just make it look better. I am aware of POR-15 which would slow the rotting process down for awhile but I would really like know if there is any way to patch it up to make it look nicer. Thanks, everyone
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a picture of the hole? That might help in determining if there's anything else you could do.

Anything is fixable given enough time and money. But that leads to the question: "is it worth it"?
If you have one rusted area, chances are there are more rusted areas that you dont see yet.
Do you live in an area that uses salt on the roads in the winter time?

What’s your goal? How long do you plan to keep it?

Do you have a picture of the hole? That might help in determining if there's anything else you could do.
Wait, are you not able to see the picture in the post?

No pics, just an unclickable IMG tag.

No photo in post, yet.

What’s your goal? How long do you plan to keep it?
My goal actually is to keep it forever. Not obviously to use it as my main vehicle forever probably retire it around 200k and then use it as a part time car for when I need it. However it is my first car and I really want to keep it but if it’s all just going to rust out then I’m not sure what to do.

Anything is fixable given enough time and money. But that leads to the question: "is it worth it"?
If you have one rusted area, chances are there are more rusted areas that you dont see yet.
Do you live in an area that uses salt on the roads in the winter time?
Yeah there a small spots that I can see around the vehicle but I can and will easily cover these up from spreading. Yes I live in MA so during the winter our cars get beat up from the salt especially cars like mine.

The frame rust will tell you if it’ll be around long term. To fix that right you’d have to cut out the quarter and replace and repaint. To get a few more years out of it you could do a Fiberglass may repair and do a touch up respray.

4.0?

The frame rust will tell you if it’ll be around long term. To fix that right you’d have to cut out the quarter and replace and repaint. To get a few more years out of it you could do a Fiberglass may repair and do a touch up respray.

4.0?
What do you assume that would cost I have no problem spending good money because I do like the car and it’s in really good condition besides that rust spot. Like I mentioned I had gotten a quote from the auto body saying $1200 but that’s on their time as well so it would probably be more then me doing it.

400+. You’d need a welder, good compressor, and a paint gun, cut off tool, a second vehicle to drive.

Is it a V6?

Make friends with someone who has a mig welder with gas, Cut out the rust area and replace with good metal. You could grind out the area and do a fiberglass repair as previously stated but if planning on keeping the vehicle for some time you are better repairing it properly. Which ever way you go you will have to regularly oil spray the vehicle. Mine is an 02 in the rust belt that I got when it was two years old. Had it originally Krown rust proofed where they drill holes in vulnerable areas. I have it re-sprayed every two years but frequently touch up with aerosol cans of oil spray. I replaced the rear struts etc. last summer and after only one winter with salt and brine on the roads the new parts already look like a barnacle. The rear brake lines and backing plates are especially vulnerable.

400+. You’d need a welder, good compressor, and a paint gun, cut off tool, a second vehicle to drive.

Is it a V6?
Alright doesn't sound to unreasonable and no it has 4.6L V8. Its a 2005 XLT model.

Make friends with someone who has a mig welder with gas, Cut out the rust area and replace with good metal. You could grind out the area and do a fiberglass repair as previously stated but if planning on keeping the vehicle for some time you are better repairing it properly. Which ever way you go you will have to regularly oil spray the vehicle. Mine is an 02 in the rust belt that I got when it was two years old. Had it originally Krown rust proofed where they drill holes in vulnerable areas. I have it re-sprayed every two years but frequently touch up with aerosol cans of oil spray. I replaced the rear struts etc. last summer and after only one winter with salt and brine on the roads the new parts already look like a barnacle. The rear brake lines and backing plates are especially vulnerable.

I mean I would really love to keep this car but I have heard of SUVs and Pickups being more prone to rust because of all the spots were dirt and salt is kicked up and gets stuck. I don't if that totally true compared to other cars like a Honda Civic or Accord because I never really see those or maybe even just sedans in general with rust.But I again appreciate your post and time here it really does help thanks!

Since it’s the V8 you could probably keep it around a few More years. I’d crawl under it and see how much rust is underneath. Is there more rust elsewhere on the body? The $400 repair won’t fool anyone, and it’ll be obvious it was repaired.

Back