• Register Today It's free!

rough starting on e85

kmartin

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer Sport
2004 Ford Explorer sport trac flex fuel. I am running a stint on e-85. The Sport Trac just started doing this. When engine is cold, it starts rough. Sometime I have to restart it, if I don't give it some gas. It will only do it for a few seconds and then be normal. The "service engine soon" light does not come on. Today, I have noticed that, it seemed it couldn't decide between 500 or 1000 rpm before it went to normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any help or others had the same issue?

Perhaps the E85 is "cleaning" out stuff in the fuel system. Perhaps the "computer" is now adjusting to the use of E85. Try "resetting the "computer".

I wouldn’t bother with the E85 unless nothing else was available.

Ok, I now been running regular gas for over a month now. I can tell sometime when I go start the vehicle that it does have some low rpm, roughness in idle when I start the vehicle after it sat for awhile. But it was not near as bad as when it was on E85. Some one mentioned about resetting the computer, I didn't do that as I don't know the proper procedure to do that. Also, I am going to get the plugs, wires, pcv, and the rubber elbows replaced for the 100,000 mile service. Maybe that could solve it. Any ideas?

You can reset the reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

I am getting a friend of mine to change the spark plugs and PVC valve. Upon opening the hood, we notice some startling things. One, the hose that connects the value cover to the air intake was disconnected at the air intake. So I probably was getting some dirty air in there for sometime. I got my vehicle inspected in March, so it had to happen sometime after that. My friend also found a lose dirty white cap close by and we couldn't figure where it came from. Any help would be appreciated.

If you were sucking unfiltered air, change your oil.

Define "cold"
What is your average air temp in the morning?
Have you EVER run E85 before?
Is the station that has E85 busy? Or is this stale "Winter" E85?

Answer are below.
Define "cold" Vehicle sat for awhile. Temp gauge all the way down. No residual engine heart left."
What is your average air temp in the morning? I park in garage, so about 65-70 degrees. But I have experience this other than mornings.
Have you EVER run E85 before? Not on this vehicle till I think last year. Sheetz is a popular station in our area and they started selling E-85 at some of there stations.
Is the station that has E85 busy? Yes, but don't know how much E85 gets sold either.
Or is this stale "Winter" E85? No way to tell. Vehicle ran fine all other time. Couldn't tell that it was E-85 in it, other than some of those rougher starts and gas gauge goes down faster.

If they still had winter blend E85, I think they’d quit selling it, as they are probably losing money on it and could better use the tanks for storing gasoline they actually sell.

Sounds like "Gasoline Addiction".
The gum and varnish build up from years of gasoline use - E85 free's that varnish and likes to clog fuel filters and injectors.
Gradual increases of E85 over time help.
Start with 2 or 3 gallons of E85 per tank and after a few tanks change the fuel filter before going to full E85.
How many miles on the fuel injectors (since changed or removed for cleaning)?

My '99 Ranger is a 3.0 flex Fuel vehicle and sometimes it does what you say yours is doing. After running it for a few minutes it seems to smooth out. I have 87 Octane 90/10 in it and all I can contribute the ruff running to is moisture in the fuel. One day when I knew it was empty, I put in 100% Gasoline and it didn't seem to like it at all. I figured it must be because it is Flex Fuel and must like a little alcohol. I wonder if it would run on 190 proof Everclear? (corn liquor)

190 proof is 90% alcohol and about 10% water (vs 15% gasoline in E85).
Essentially the same, but yes - possible.
Just VERY expensive!

VERY ! $200 a gallon !

I'm finding it for $20 to $25 a liter. And I think it is 95% alcohol, as refined as alcohol comes. Still expensive.

image.jpg
I thought this was a bigger bottle. I paid $17 for 1.75l last time I was in KY

Hell yeah ! You found it for a good price ! In College we use to take an empty bottle, shake it real hard then take off the cap and with it turned on its side, light it. It would go/say "swoosh" ! Ya wouldn't have to drink it all to do that now, a drop or two in another empty bottle will do the same...and now I see the red part of the label, lol
I no longer consume (diabetic) but that Bacardi in the background is sure looking good )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oakheart is decent. I used to buy the everclear to make apple pie “moonshine” before I could just buy legitimate moonshine.

Back