Aftermarket Tail Light Options | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Tail Light Options

For the last 2 days I've been trying to open the broken tail light I had because I want to potentially use some of the parts for a headlight build. I must say, they did a hell of a job gluing these together! I tried everything, including a heat gun, baking it, and in the end I only managed to break off some pieces of the front plastic. So I took a dremel to it, and just for fun I'll post how it looks inside. It's actually really well built in every regard. Everything is on very solidly, screwed in place with many screws, and nothing feels cheap. (The rusty screws are from my water damage)

The brown boards are for the Z-like lights and the white ones stick down into the reflector for the turn signal lights.

RhO9aEa.jpg

Here's the LED boards. I'm holding the turn signal one, the three on the right are for the Z-lights. The black shrinkwrapped things in the wiring are the control boards, there's two of those. All the wires are proper gauge, compared to most china stuff I've ripped apart that has like 3 strands of copper in them.
rwYn168.jpg

As I've taken out all the components I'm currently re-baking it for much longer to see how long it really needs to be in before the glue lets go, in case someone else wants to open theirs for whatever reason :D. I'll update if there's any success.

Edit: After 30 min at 140C/280F (I tried 120C/250F yesterday for 20 min with no luck), the general plastic of the light was quite soft, and I managed to pry the parts apart, however, I'd say it was too hot as it's likely to bend pieces so that they don't go back together anymore. So I'd say 30-40 min @ 120C/250F should do the job, and if not, try increasing by 10 degrees and keep trying. Make sure it's resting on wood in the oven and isn't touching anything that's metal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW that is awesome.. THANKS for the details.. looks like a decent product for price overall. Great job on explaining it

Finally installed my Torcia aftermarket lights. Obviously I think they look amazing now hope they have the longevity and realiability. The install likely took longer than it should have as I was overly careful and a PIB with my wires.. Just my nature. Love the look. Quality is great. same experience as Rainlord. they are a bit smaller overall so there is maybe an addtional 16th inch gap around top. Nothing to be really concerned with as overall the fit and finish is good as well. My Family including wife( my most critical one) loves the look.
truck tail lights 1.jpg
truck tail lights 3.jpg

Rain Lord, they look awesome and reasonably easy to install. Two questions though?

1. Do they make a version for 2018 models.?
2. Do you keep the OEM Amber Turn signals or do they go back to Red.?

I cannot speak to the 2018 version or if they are available for 2018. mine is a 15 and the amber goes away.. mine are all now red.

Thanks I prefer the Amber so back to the drawing board. I will give you props for the WWP sticker though.!!! I will keep my Sylvania LED back up lights and turn signals.

I agree to some degree on the ambers. They were kind of unique. I liked the sequential chasing turns on these ( similar to the Mustang). I really thought these set my ride apart as they are that different. Amber turns would have been cool. Amber is one of their options just not with the smoke lenses. I like the dark look so to speak.
I kept my original enclosures and could go back in flash ( no pun intended) if needed...

Anybody know where we can get the Torcia lights any more? Everywhere seems to be sold out...

Finally installed my Torcia aftermarket lights. Obviously I think they look amazing now hope they have the longevity and realiability. The install likely took longer than it should have as I was overly careful and a PIB with my wires.. Just my nature. Love the look. Quality is great. same experience as Rainlord. they are a bit smaller overall so there is maybe an addtional 16th inch gap around top. Nothing to be really concerned with as overall the fit and finish is good as well. My Family including wife( my most critical one) loves the look.View attachment 162801 View attachment 162802
Any idea where we can buy those nowadays? And how have they held up?

Any idea where we can buy those nowadays? And how have they held up?
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here Feb. 25, 2021. Hopefully he is still following.

Peter

FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here Feb. 25, 2021. Hopefully he is still following.

Peter
Ah, didn't notice that. Thanks, Peter! Fingers crossed!

Ah, didn't notice that. Thanks, Peter! Fingers crossed!
If anyone is still looking for these lights I believe I stumbled across them on AlphaRex’s website while looking around for headlights. They sell a blacked out one and a red smoked one

Back