• Register Today It's free!

Program new key fob?

gtyates

Reaction score
City, State
Goodlettsville Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'09 Sport Trac, '21 Explo
I am having issues trying to program a second key fob for my 2009 Sport Trac. I have followed the procedures to get the truck in programming mode, but it will not go into this mode to allow me to attempt to set up the second fob. Any ideas on why it will not go into programming mode? I have done this on other Ford trucks without any problems, but for some reason when I do the 8 cycles with the key the power door locks never respond to indicate they are in programming mode.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What instructions do you have? Dont want to lead you down the wrong path, but I thought TWO fobs were required for a DIY addition of a 3rd, 4th, etc.

Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter Programming
>
NOTE: All remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

NOTE: Programming of the RKE transmitters can be accomplished using a scan tool or by carrying out the following steps:

1. The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode using the RKE transmitter, keyless entry keypad (if equipped) or door lock control switch while the driver door is open.
  1. Turn the key from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module successfully enters the program mode, it locks and then unlocks all doors.
  1. Within 20 seconds, press any button on an RKE transmitter, and the doors lock and then unlock to confirm that each RKE transmitter is programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.
  1. If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Inspection and Verification in this section. Make sure that no more than the maximum number of 6 RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.
  1. Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:
    • The key transitions to the OFF position.
    • Twenty seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
    • The maximum number of 6 RKE transmitters have been programmed

Tech by Trade, those instructions are what I have followed. Several times on different days. It will not enter programming mode. I have the Forscan software, can it be done using it? Is suspect it can.

I can answer my own question. Apparently the 10 second count to turn the ignition 8 times is more like 5 seconds on mine. However, I finally was able to get into programming mode and add the second fob. I will save Forscan for later projects. :)

Back