Corroded Battery Terminal / Cable | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone have the part number for the assembly I need to replace. When i called with the part number from here they told me it does not fit my 2015 only 2014 even though my explorer was built 12/14

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have the part number for the assembly I need to replace. When i called with the part number from here they told me it does not fit my 2015 only 2014 even though my explorer was built 12/14
What is it exactly that you are replacing and what part number did you use?

Peter

I have a 2015 and wrote the post below within this thread:

"At around 38k miles my MFT started acting up a bit so I checked underneath the red cover the positive terminal this morning and it was almost identical to the photos posted by Medic531. I had to buy the part DA8Z14526A, the positive terminal assembly and a new battery. It should be noted that there was a difference between the old and new part, the actual clamp that grips the positive terminal appeared to be copper on the old part and now looks like it's anodized aluminum/steel on the new part. My Explorer is also a 2015 and now I'm wondering if Ford was sold a defective batch of batteries that had positive terminal posts that loosened up over a short period of time and began leaking. It probably wouldn't hurt to check under the red hood of the positive terminal now and then as well as check the negative terminal as preventative maintenance."

Welcome to the Forum Jonathan. :wave:
Page 20 of your Warranty Guide lists everything coved under the Emissions Warranty. The battery and cable are not listed.

Peter
I guess I got lucky. They replaced my cable under the Emissions Warranty. I had to pay for the battery

Any ideas of where to buy online the positive battery cable for a 96 explorer V6 4.0? I only found for the 91-94 series, is it the same?

Any ideas of where to buy online the positive battery cable for a 96 explorer V6 4.0? I only found for the 91-94 series, is it the same?
I think you may be better off asking this in the appropriate Forum; Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers
Members there may be more familiar with the interchangeability of the cables. Have you checked sites like eBay and Amazon?

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I will try in that one. Yes I searched at eBay and Amazon but I don’t find years from 95 to 2000!

Thanks a lot

Have you tried RockAuto on line?

Hi all, I had the same problem with the corroded battery on the positive terminal of my 2015 explorer. After cleaning, the positive terminal doesn't seem tight enough anymore and car dealer says i have to buy the entire assembly (DB5Z-14300-A). Thanks to you all, i now know i don't have to buy the entire assembly but just the positive terminal head (DA8Z-14526-A). Just before i make this purchase, i'll like to find out if this part or the full assembly are covered by warranty? if so where can i get documentation to support this? My dealer says it is not covered, and i am surprised, as this damage doesnt seem to be consumer caused.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you still covered by the 3yr/36k mile warranty? Looks like a few members had repairs done under warranty.

Peter

Hi all, I had the same problem with the corroded battery on the positive terminal of my 2015 explorer. After cleaning, the positive terminal doesn't seem tight enough anymore and car dealer says i have to buy the entire assembly (DB5Z-14300-A). Thanks to you all, i now know i don't have to buy the entire assembly but just the positive terminal head (DA8Z-14526-A). Just before i make this purchase, i'll like to find out if this part or the full assembly are covered by warranty? if so where can i get documentation to support this? My dealer says it is not covered, and i am surprised, as this damage doesnt seem to be consumer caused.
If your car is still under warranty, I am surprised the dealer said you had to buy anything. It all should be covered, it was for me.

Are you still covered by the 3yr/36k mile warranty? Looks like a few members had repairs done under warranty.

Peter
My car is 2years plus and below 10,000miles. They explained that the part is not covered under warranty, however, I wasn't shown any reference. I'll like to have a reference so i can go back to them.

My car is 2years plus and below 10,000miles. They explained that the part is not covered under warranty, however, I wasn't shown any reference. I'll like to have a reference so i can go back to them.

If you read page three of this thread there are a couple of us that think Ford may have purchased a batch of defective batteries. It's not the part or positive terminal head that ruined itself, it's because the battery had a loose positive terminal post that leaked causing the damage to the positive terminal head (DA8Z-14526-A). Since in your case you are well within your warranty period, Ford should replace the defective battery and the positive terminal head or entire harness assembly, it's their choice, at no cost to you. In no way shape or form should anybody be responsible for a defective battery that damages other components within their warranty period. Just my two cents.

We have corrosion but on the negative side on our 2014 Explorer Limited. Clamp is stuck to terminal. Too bad they don't sell that clamp separately. Going with a generic clamp. Can't justify $300 for full cable assembly. Thanks for all this good info guys.

Peter

We have corrosion but on the negative side on our 2014 Explorer Limited. Clamp is stuck to terminal. Too bad they don't sell that clamp separately. Going with a generic clamp. Can't justify $300 for full cable assembly. Thanks for all this good info guys.

Was it this terminal?
4454d917b16aa087efdfae625ccf7ca8.jpg

I think it's from edge/mkx and some have said it may be a suitable replacement for many other ford vehicles including F150 and explorer (BT4Z-14450-BA).

According to the AutoNation Ford site, that part does not fit a 2014 Explorer Limited. Negative Term - Ford (BT4Z-14450-BA) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter
Yes, it is listed for edge/mkx, but according to reviews on various sites and amazon, many people have used it successfully on F150 and explorer. There's lots of little quirks like this with all of the manufacturers where a part that is the same/similar is available for one vehicle, but not listed for another.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all,

I have a 2016 Explorer, and during my latest oil change, I noticed quite a buildup of blue gunk under the red terminal cover. After I cleaned much of the stuff off, I realized the bracket is almost completely corroded in two.

Questions
1) I've done some searching, and it appears that this can be done as a diy project, but would it be covered under warranty?

2) can the metal bracket that fits over the terminal be replaced by itself, or will the wiring need to be purchased as well? I've seen comments made where Ford will not sell just the bracket, and the job will be over $300.

Anyone go through this? How common is this problem? I've never had this problem in my life, but I am seeing that I am not the only one to experience this with the Explorer. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Back