Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bterrell

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer xlt
Has anyone ever replaced the r.f. axle bearing in a 1998 explorer AWD? It's not the one at the hub but in the axle housing. I'm a tech at a caddy dealer have limited resources but hard u need a special tool. Is it true and can u do it without the tool. TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't speak from personal experience, but I'm guessing you remove the CV axle and use a slide hammer with the same type of attachment you'd use to pull out the rear axle bearing. Then to install the new bearing you could use a bearing installer tool (maybe need a length pipe due to the depth).

I've seen this type of bearing replaced on the Trucks TV show and IIRC that's how they did it. If you have an O'Reilly store where you live, they seem to have the best quality of loaner tools you can borrow (with a deposit of course), but I'm sure other stores (AutoZone, Advance, NAPA) loan similar tools. If something special is required for this job they may have it as a loaner tool a well.

I'm about to begin collecting parts to rebuild two of my front diff's. I've got the stuff coming to do my AWD transfer case, the viscous clutch showed up today(cute little thing). I think a blind bearing puller is what may be the specialty tool for those bearings. I bought one to do the AWD pilot bearing, but I already have axle bearing puller tools. The axle bearing pullers are rented by all the parts stores, I've used those many times. There are three sizes in those kits, one may work fro that small front axle bearing.

This (along with a slide hammer) is what you use for the rear axle bearings. IDK if this would work to remove to remove the front axle bearings. If not (as aid) you may need to borrow a "blind bearing puller" tool.

s-l1600.jpg

Blind bearing puller:
s-l1600.jpg

Not that they haven’t covered it but just go rent the tools. It makes life easy. I’m finally getting around to doing my axle seal. You can see the bearing you’re replacing in there.

Don’t know if you’ll need it but a race and seal installer.

A598D198-AE1F-4B09-B623-2019DFB50D67.jpeg

BB4D0496-13A6-4A1A-8BBE-51EB751D1D79.jpeg

C07A3BDF-8651-4037-B22E-5E42C0758592.jpeg

Not that they haven’t covered it but just go rent the tools. It makes life easy. I’m finally getting around to doing my axle seal. You can see the bearing you’re replacing in there.

Don’t know if you’ll need it but a race and seal installer.

View attachment 160294

View attachment 160295

View attachment 160296

If your seal is leaking, it's possible that a worn bearing may be the reason why. Before just replacing the seal make sure the axle doesn't wiggle around in the seal, because if it does your new seal will still leak.

It has about half an inch of in and out play from the CV that worried me but I guess that’s just normal? I had the front diff out this winter so I’m hoping I damaged it moving it around the garage.

It has about half an inch of in and out play from the CV that worried me but I guess that’s just normal? I had the front diff out this winter so I’m hoping I damaged it moving it around the garage.

CV joint in/out play is normal.

Had my neighbor come tap it in while I was under guiding it in straight. So far no leaks. Buts that’s only 10 miles or so. Nothing seem to have play in it. Hope it works I’ve been wanting to get this out of the way for a minute now.

Has anyone ever replaced the r.f. axle bearing in a 1998 explorer AWD? It's not the one at the hub but in the axle housing. I'm a tech at a caddy dealer have limited resources but hard u need a special tool. Is it true and can u do it without the tool. TIA.
Should be the same as the older Escalades, exactly :lol:

Well it looks like a new bearing will be ordered soon. Replacing the CV also. It was a refurbished one and has a lifetime warranty so maybe it has a grove it. Just going to do it all I’m not pulling it out to replace one piece at a time.

Went from a drip to pouring out.

Back