• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Floor Board Flooded

MarkM

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4WD
It's been a while since I've posted an issue, but here we go...

I recently went to vacuum out my car, when I notice the front passenge floor board was SOAKED. I've had the leaky roof rack and siliconed the s**t out of it, and I can't find any water up high so I'm confident that isn't the culprit. I peeled the trim and carpet up and it is literally pooling there. About 5 minutes with a wet-vac took the pool away, but it's still wet. I can't find anywhere above the bottom of the door line that's wet, and most of it isn't even that high. I'm dumbfounded as to where this damn leak is, but it's wreaking havoc on my carpet.

Anyone have a similar issue, other than the roof rack, that caused this issue. If so, what was the fix?

We have about 2 weeks of precip in the forecast and I really want to resolve this PITA. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a sunroof? If so the drain tube may be kinked or clogged.

Same thing as rkh58. Sunroof drain tube.

Happened to my 04 Expedition. Twice.

Runs down the right A pillar and outside.

X3... tube is clogged or disconnected.

If you can find the exit for the sunroof drain, then using compressed air, at a pressure of not more than 3 - 5 PSI, blow air from the bottom of the drain going toward the top, with the sunroof open, and the seats covered. If there is a blockage, this will clear it. If you blow from the top down, you run the risk of blowing the tube off of the tube at the top. Usually, it is pieces of leaves and pine needles that cause the clog. Once it is clear, run some water through it, with a few drops of chlorine bleach, to break down any algae that might have formed on the inside of the rubber hose.

I've cleaned many plugged sunroof drain tubes -- some of them so plugged with rubble that compressed air was useless. What works well is an old speedometer cable chucked in a cordless drill. Rotate the cable slowly as you feed it into the top of the tube. Eventually, it will find its way down the A-pillar and out the bottom where it drains. Continue twirling the cable as you extract it, then follow up with a puff or two of compressed air. Works every time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had never thought of doing that to clear a drain. Only wish that I knew that trick about 45 years ago, when I had a clogged drain hose on a 1970 Cadillac with a sunroof that leaked whenever the roof got wet. We had to totally remove the sun roof to replace the drain, a job that took almost 20 hours to do, since we had no experience with them, nor did anyone else. GM washed their hand of it, and said to contact American Sunroof, since they were the OEM supplier.

Thanks guys, I'll give that a check.

Pics would be fantastic - finding the drain outlet would be a big help.
G'luck

Did It Work?

Curious if this worked for you? I am having the same issue on my 2013 Sport, passenger, 2nd row floor saturated! I can't find the drain tube "exit" - dealer is wanting the charge minimum of $250 to chase a water leak...

Curious if this worked for you? I am having the same issue on my 2013 Sport, passenger, 2nd row floor saturated! I can't find the drain tube "exit" - dealer is wanting the charge minimum of $250 to chase a water leak...
There is a thread that shows the location of the drain tubes. The tube for the back of the moonroof runs down the driver's side behind the rear door.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414250

Peter

I just purchased a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT. We had a thunderstorm the other day and my vehicle was parked at work. There was no flooding in the area, no windows left down. The passenger side floor board was completely drenched with water. The water was only on the passenger side and under the passenger seat. I took it into the service department and they checked the window seals, air condition, underneath the car. They were gonna test the windshield. They have yet to find the defect or where the water is coming in from. My car has been in the shop for 3 days and they cannot find where water entered the vehicle. This is the ONLY area in the whole vehicle drenched with water. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have only had the vehicle for 20 days. I haven't even made a payment on it or got my plates in yet. TY

I have not experienced this problem on my Explorer PIU, but can give you some guidance based on thirty+ years experience with Crown Victorias. The cowl is equipped with a trough which is designed to drain rain water off to the sides. Over time, this trough can become clogged with leaves and debris. Checking this may require removal of a cowl vent grille or moulding. Also, make sure condensation from AC operation is draining through an open hose to the ground on passenger side. Sometimes this hose may become detatched or clogged. Hope this helps.

Does your EX have a sunroof? If so, check the drain lines from the sunroof.

Does your EX have a sunroof? If so, check the drain lines from the sunroof.
She does not have a moonroof. She also posted the same post in the Water Leak thread.

Peter

I’ve seen some other threads about water leaks but not the same as the one I’m having with my 2013 Explorer Sport. I have water coming in on the passenger side of my vehicle and it puddles right in front of the passenger seat. I couldn’t find any water coming in from my sunroof or the passenger door. It seems like the water came from the right side of my glove compartment. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this or should I just drop by a dealership?

Probably other folks had this issue. I'd start off by searching the forum.

I’ve seen some other threads about water leaks but not the same as the one I’m having with my 2013 Explorer Sport. I have water coming in on the passenger side of my vehicle and it puddles right in front of the passenger seat. I couldn’t find any water coming in from my sunroof or the passenger door. It seems like the water came from the right side of my glove compartment. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this or should I just drop by a dealership?
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's "search' feature.
You likely have a blocked moonroof drain tube. Check out this thread for a diagram. Moonroof Drain hoses c/w diagram

Peter

Another possibility is a clogged a/c drain line. Our '04 did this, water in passenger floor, and it turned out to be the a/c drain line was clogged. The a/c condensate goes to a drip pan at the bottom of the dash, then it drains on out of the vehicle. Ours was completely clogged, so water was dripping out of the pan and into the floor. I, too, thought maybe a sunroof drain leak, windshield leak, maybe a bad door seal, but after some testing it became obvious the water was not coming in from external sources which lead me to the a/c drain line.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just purchased a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT. We had a thunderstorm the other day and my vehicle was parked at work. There was no flooding in the area, no windows left down. The passenger side floor board was completely drenched with water. The water was only on the passenger side and under the passenger seat. I took it into the service department and they checked the window seals, air condition, underneath the car. They were gonna test the windshield. They have yet to find the defect or where the water is coming in from. My car has been in the shop for 3 days and they cannot find where water entered the vehicle. This is the ONLY area in the whole vehicle drenched with water. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have only had the vehicle for 20 days. I haven't even made a payment on it or got my plates in yet. TY
I have a 2016

Back