• Register Today It's free!

Just picked up my 3rd explorer.

Alaskanredneck

Reaction score
City, State
Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS
I haven't been active here in years because when I moved from Alaska to Washington I had to sell my 2nd explorer. But today I finally got my 3rd explorer. It is a 3rd gen 2004 xls. So far the things I have found wrong with it are, slight rough shift between 1,2,3, air bag code 42, cruse control does not work, radio doesn't work. I replaced the fuse for the radio and the cab filled with smoke from under the dash near the fuse box but the fuse didn't blow so I quickly pulled the fuse. Looks like I have a project.

15298848166268122541367508650611.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fun times! Be sure to have the dealer check for any recalls. I don't remember if the '04 is subject to the brake pressure switch recall. That switch is powered all the time (even with the engine off and key removed) and, if faulty, might result in an engine fire.

Your immediate problem (smoke under dash) is different, since on the inside of the fire wall.

How many miles on it? Not sure about the rough shifting, but might need a tune up (sparks, wires); throttle body cleaning; fuel injector cleaning; MAF cleaning; lots of things.

If the transmission fluid is filled correctly, about the only thing most DIYers can manage to repair are the servo bores, which frequently fail on these trucks. These guys have the best fix I've seen (don't have to remove the trans): Ford Lincoln Mercury Explorer Mountaineer Navigator Servo Bore Fix. I recall that the overdrive servo controls not just overdrive but also some of the lower gear shifts. The intermediate servo handles the shift into 3rd gear.

Welcome back!

It's good to be back! I'm curious if the explorer has the 05s28 recall on the power steering. I know when I worked at ford they were expanding the vehicles it covered. I know the radio didn't work so I pulled it but it was too dark out to throw a new fuse in and look for smoke. I'll check tomorrow.
I ran seafoam through the intake and surprisingly didn't get any smoke. I haven't checked the maf yet but it's on the list. I want to change all the fluids as budget allows plus I want to find a way to put my light force lights behind the grill. As far as the tyranny goes I'll probably change the fluid and add some lube guard platinum. That's about all for tonight.

I figured out the smoking. I pulled the stock radio out and the back of it was burnt and smelled like smoke. I could not find and evidence of cooked wiring anywhere else so I installed an aftermarket head unit and have not had any problems since.
Drew it has 138,000 miles on it

I just did a trans service using Castrol Trans Max and it really shifts nice now. Old fluid was somewhat dirty but no excess junk on magnet or pan bottom. given your mileage I would be curious to see the pan and magnet. The OD band is applied for 2nd and 5th in Drive selected, as well as gear position manual 2. The INT band is 3rd only. In town I like to run with OD forced off so it does not unnecessarily shift into OD and wear the band.

05s28 is speed control recall, not power steering. I do not remember any power steering recalls other than electronic power steering on 08+ Fords.

Thought I should clarify, bands are actuated and released via servos, so anytime OD band is applied and released, servo bore wear occurs. Same for INT band.

I'm not sure why I typed power steering. As a Ford service advisor I installed more of those damn fuse wires than I could count.
As soon as i have the money I want to do a filter change. I know the trans was replaced about 30k or 40k or so under warranty , so the trans does not even have the full vehicle mileage on it.

Your explorer is still a baby at that mileage. Congrats.

Your explorer is still a baby at that mileage. Congrats.

I bought mine last Sept with 62,947 miles on a 2003 XLT for 6500 otd and it still only has 65,800 or something like that. As I don't drive much being disabled other then to doc appointments/grocery runs/pharmacy runs

Wow CoolHand that's incredible.
I painted the grill black to match the rest of the X today. I'll get pictures when its light out again. I also picked up a 52 inch led light bar from a local auction and I cant wait to install it.

Back