• Register Today It's free!

Radiator overflow tank

mcalloway2

Reaction score
City, State
freeport florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford sportstrac XLT
I have noticed for quite some time I regularly have to fill the plastic radiator overflow tank. The actual radiator is never needing fluid. I don't see fluid leaking anywhere. I replaced the engine January 2014, Ford Dealership did the work and water was in the engine. Should there be some concern now? Thanks in advance.

Michael

Yes. Your coolant is going somewhere. If there are no leaks anywhere, it’s going into the motor. How often do you have to add coolant?

First place to check for coolant leaks on the 4.0L SOHC is the lower thermostat housing. Check for visible coolant on top of the housing and inside the intake valley using a flashlight and mirror. Very common failure and likely source of coolant leaks.

Yup. Just replaced my OEM "plastic" thermostat housing assembly with an aluminum unit. Had a "puddle" of coolant on the garage floor. Traced the pathway up the D/S of the rear of the engine. Se aching thru the posts here someone mentioned that the coolant would/could travel via the valley to the rear of the engine and down the D/S.

Back