Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

Explorer Shaking at Highway Speed (60 - 70 mph)

Yeah the tires I had purchased originally were the issue. But since then I found the ultimate solution to all my Explorer problems (shaking, pinion whine, etc), I traded it in for a Jeep! :thumbsup:
  2. X

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

I think this is probably a different experience for each person depending on the age and condition of their vehicle... mine was pretty bad. Used the offset wrench to start but soon I couldn't get a turn on the top bolt and ended up cutting it off with a dremel. I finally rented a hub puller to...
  3. X

Burning Oil Smell

Follow up... I am pretty sure it's the pinion seal from my research, I pulled the diff drain plug and there's oil in there. I bought some extra gear oil and a pump to keep her full until I can get to a mechanic. Would be hard to do myself in the snowy driveway right now but seems pretty...
  4. X

Burning Oil Smell

Thanks for the reply... Doesn't appear to be coming from the valve cover, I got under the truck and it is coming from where the shaft enters the front diff, but it is all over the oil pan as well, however I think it would be the farthest forward stop since I was driving it would spray back. I...
  5. X

Just to follow up, finally got new tires and the shake is gone, so tires were the issue the entire time.
  6. X

Burning Oil Smell

After -18 degree weather this week, I got home today and smelled burning oil from the engine. Looked around but it was dark when I got home and couldn't see any head gasket obvious issues with a flashlight. Just wondering where I should start looking tomorrow when the sun is up. I had...
  7. X

I love my Explorer except for the shaking, both the highway speed shake and idle shake, and I assume the highway at 65 mph is the tires, but I am waiting until I need new tires to see if that's the problem. If you have a full size spare, put it on that front right (or whatever tire) and see...
  8. X

Nope, and I am assuming it's my tires since nothing else has helped. Curious, which tires do you have and what size?
  9. X

REAR end FLuid replace

If you are talking rear diff, I have an 05 as well, just open it up, siphon out the old fluid, siphon in or shoot in new fluid plus diff additive sliplock if needed, till it runs out, pretty easy. Manuals are confusing at times, just look at it from a basic point of view. Won't get rid of the...
  10. X

Photos 3rd gen pic's

2005 XLT
  11. X

2" hitch explorer - ranger

I purchased a class III from Uhaul for pretty cheap. Just order it off their website and they shipped mine for free. It was an easy install using a floor jack to get it into place. It's heavy duty and it mates with the little hitch and covers it.
  12. X

Bully Nerf Bar Install - 2005 Explorer

Thanks for the info, it was helpful. I got them on with the use of a lot of washers to lower the brackets, so the bars don't hit the doors. Overall I would say these don't really fit the explorer, yes you can make them work, but it's a pretty rigged up setup, the steps aren't really at the...
  13. X

That does help a little... but even if I remove the factory bolts, the holes won't line up unless I get out the drill. The factory bolts seem stronger anyway, considering they are on a plate/bracket.
  14. X

I purchased some Nerf Bars from etrailer.com http://www.etrailer.com/p-NB-308B.html First, my Explorer is the XLT model with no factory installed steps. However when I got under the truck to install these, there were already bolts hanging out from the body panel where it said to put bolts...
  15. X

Humming Noise At Rear of Vehicle

That stinks man. I took mine in for shaking at highway speed, spent $1200 on a drive shaft, axle, etc, and it still shakes, I live with the shaking and whining down the highway now, such a pain when you spend the cash and you don't get it fixed.
  16. X

Humming Noise At Rear of Vehicle

Glad you found a fix, but this is different, if you hear the noise, let off the gas, and it goes away, and if you get back on the gas and it comes back, it's the rear pinion whine.
  17. X

Replacing Rear Diff Fluid

Yeah sawdust might work better... it's TSB 05-12-6
  18. X

Replacing Rear Diff Fluid

Yeah, to be clear, what's causing the noise is pretty well documented and understood, and there's also a TSB out for it, so it's not a maintenance issue. The solution is widely known as well, but I can't see paying a few grand to quiet a noise that many have said just came back again a short...
  19. X

There's no shaking when I apply the brakes and I just did my pads a month ago. My rotors do look pretty crappy, so I was going to slap some new ones on soon anyway. I don't think that they would cause the whole vehicle to shake at a specific speed when not applied, do you?
  20. X

Here's a follow up... So I have been living with this vibration for a while now and decided to try another shop yesterday. They had a Road Force Balancer and I figured that before I buy new tires I would take it there for that. So they test drove it and said all they can feel is the brakes...
  21. X

Whining Sound @ 55-60mph+

It's a plug, you just pull the plug with a very large 3/4 drive socket extension. The fluid won't just come out, you have to siphon it out.
  22. X

That's unfortunately about right at most shops, although it is a rip off.... you can do it yourself very easily if you have a few things on hand. If you don't, by the time you buy the right socket to pull the plug, and get yourself a vacuum pump or something to get the fluid in, you may as well...
  23. X

It's the rear pinion whine that many of us have, changing the fluid only seems to quiet it down, or change at what speed it happens, it won't solve it, trust me I have tried different variations of fluid, more or less friction modifier, it won't solve it. So I just ignore it like many others...
  24. X

2005 Explorer XLS 4WD Tire Vibration Problems

Thanks for the tips!
  25. X

Rear Diff Fluid????

+1 - You should use full synthetic, and add the friction modifier, according to the manual.
Back