1. robertoa1a

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

180k when the odometer broke 5 years ago. 5.0
  2. robertoa1a

Testing antifreeze with a multi-meter

Great advice.
  3. robertoa1a

Can't lower spare tire.

Can't lower spare tire!!! I'm trying to inspect my charcoal filter above the spare tire. The trouble is I don't see a place to put the tire iron to lower it. There is a hole behind the lift gate but when I look in there with a flash light, all a see is a small Alan bolt about a foot deep.
  4. robertoa1a

Can't lower spare tire.

Okay, after trying to lower the spare tire as you would on any truck, (with the factory tire iron through the lift gate) I discovered that there is no where to insert the darn thing. There is a hole but nothing in it. It's like something is missing. Looking inside with a flash light all I...
  5. robertoa1a

po 455 large evap leak. 96 5.0

Turdle. It does not sound strange at all. I will check all that in the am. I am garageless so I need daylight to work. Thanks. I think I knew a little about this stuff at one time but my memory is bad.
  6. robertoa1a

The gas cap isn't the problem. First thing I checked. The gas cap wont throw a code on a '96 any way. Ford disabled that due to lack of baffles in the tank in 96. When the gas sloshed around it would give a false cel. Thanks for the quick response, any other common problems?
  7. robertoa1a

Has any one had a po455 on a 96 5.0? Evaporative emissions system leak (large one). Seems to be running okay but a small loss in performance. Not sure where to look first tomorrow when it gets light out.
  8. robertoa1a

Water pump bolts stuck 5.0 911.

That is great information. My bolt is the one mounted below and to the left. The only thing I can think of is to hit it with an arc welder and let the till it glows. Let expansion crush whatever is holding it up. A tortch would put too much heat on some of the other surounding stuff.
  9. robertoa1a

Water pump bolts stuck 5.0 911.

I have a '96 5.0 150k miles, with a bad water pump. Everything came apart nice execpt for the two studs on the water pump at the far left and right. If theese go into a water jacket, there may be no getting them out due to years of inside rust. The nuts seem to be brazed, welded, or...
  10. robertoa1a

How many more quarts of ATF do I need to add?!?!

Why did you change the filter to begin with? If it was measuring good and running good to begin with, and you were just doing regular maintenance, then add fluid till the stick shows normal. I doubt that you can ruin a 4R70W trans by having a little too much fluid. On the other hand, some...
  11. robertoa1a

How many more quarts of ATF do I need to add?!?!

There is a section here dedicated to transmitions. Usually home mechanics don't usually f with auto trans deeply. The people in the trans section have the most reliable info. I think that three quarts in the pan may be accurate, but when you consider how much fluid is in the torque...
  12. robertoa1a

Problem Starting

You need a DC amp probe. With all the accessories off have one person start the engine while the other uses an amp probe on one of the battery cables. The starter should draw around <35 amps. An amp probe has a clamp on one end and most of them don't measure DC amps so use the right one.
  13. robertoa1a

Hot Air Only

The sound you are hearing may not be the blend door. Let the glove compartment door down and there is a flap/door, inside/outside air door. Is that the one you are hearing. If so, maybe re-evaluate.
  14. robertoa1a

Problem Starting

This is one of those, where there is more to the picture than meets the eye. For starters, pardon the pun, amps are drawn, not forced in. Having an unlimited suply of amps would be a good thing. Volts on the other hand, should be a constant. In cars 12v (-or+) a one isn't much of an...
  15. robertoa1a

1998 explorer maintainability

It depends on how it was maintained. Parts and service are very reasonable. The lock issue may be as simple as the child lock being engaged intentionally or that the old owner has spilled junk in the switches. If there is gunk in the switches then some electrical contact spray can sometimes...
  16. robertoa1a

Two issues...can anyone help

They still sell parts. Just not the engine.
  17. robertoa1a

They said that I couldn't have it towed to my house because it had no title. In most states there is a regular title or a demolition title. This row of vehicles had neither and is located near a giant recycling company???
  18. robertoa1a

Buy new or restore?

I think your mustang would look right on an explorer chasis. My neighbors think I'm a red neck though.
  19. robertoa1a

I bought some parts from a junkyard that looked suspiciously like a cash 4 clunkers grave yard. The trucks looked fine but without engines. When I asked if I could pay to have one towed to my home for a few days to pick my own parts, they replied that it isn't legal to do that.
  20. robertoa1a

I'm looking for a door lock wiring diagram for a 1998 Explorer XLT.

The inside of the switch may have gotten rain in it. Sometimes some contact spray helps. Other Times the corrosion is worse.
  21. robertoa1a

DIY is in peoples blood.
  22. robertoa1a

Urgent Issues

You may have some air getting into the exhaust via rusted egr causing small backfires. In any event, the DPFE is famous for failing and may be the cause. Exhaust sounds can trick your ears when you are sitting in the drivers seat.
  23. robertoa1a

Urgent Issues

Most likely loose metal blowing around, caused by wind turbulence, like the heat shield on the exhaust.
  24. robertoa1a

I've bought stuff from Joe. He's been reputable.
Back