Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Which exhaust system for '99 SOHC

Hey guys. Haven't been on in a while as everything has been working fine, but I recently moved to MA and small pinholes in my exhaust have caused me to fail inspection. Admittedly, it's all pretty rusted out underneath and the mifler back could use replacing, so I wanted to go ahead and get it...
  2. O

What are correct A/C pressures for a charged system?

I hooked up my manifold set yesterday and recharged with one can. While running, the low side was at 35, high at 230... it was approx 85-90 outside. I wanted to make sure it wasn't overcharged, or that I didn't need to add more. I think I have a slow leak, but I'm not too sure. I think the...
  3. O

Trying to diagnose AC problems

Hey. thanks for the update. I actually got a friend and another user on the board here (I don't his user name, OPaul maybe) to help me out. He had the manifold set so we hooked it up. The pressure was low, so we added a can of coolant plus dye and leak stopper, and then another can of coolant...
  4. O

Trying to diagnose AC problems

Hey guys. Quick post with a description of my issue and some of the reading I've done so far and what I've gained from it... I got my Ex in Jan/Feb and have been using the heat no problem. When I would turn the heat on high it would get hotter and when I would turn the temp down it would get...
  5. O

Tow in OD or not to tow in OD?

I'm getting a Jonboat from my wife's grandfather and had been debating about adding a hitch or using the bumper. I know the Jonboats only weight a coule hundred lbs... and I would guess the same for the motor and trailer, so I figure I'm looking at about 1000 lbs or slightly less. If I tow...
  6. O

Blue...Headliner

is that a bottle of simply orange I spy??
  7. O

What did I do to my throttle cable

Sorry to post without offering any help, but what's this throttle cable mod and what's the benefit? Something i should look into?
  8. O

Running out of fuel??????

Just to chime in here... I had between 1/8th and 1/4 tank of gas and I parked facing downhill in my driveway (about 15 degree slope) and I couldn't start. I had to dump some gas in the tank to get it to start. On top of that, a girl in what looked like an older 5.0 Ex at school the other day...
  9. O

Brandon's Ongoing Problem/Repair List

Spent yesterday afternoon the the parking lot of Advance Auto Parts replacing my alternator (was only spitting out 10 or 10.5V). This is actually the first thing I've ever fixed by myself on a car (not counting the e-brake cable) and it was a pretty good feeling knowing I fixed something myself...
  10. O

Hey guys, This may seem like a dumb question, but here goes... After I remove the tires and caliper, how does the rotor come off. Is there anything else you have to unscrew or should the rotor just pull outward. I tried pulling on it, but it didnt come off, and before I go PB Blasting it and...
  11. O

cant unlock with the key

I noticed this the other day when my battery died and the fob wouldnt work. I tried using the key to manually unlock the door and it wouldnt work! Luckily, the passenger door was open. I'll try a little PB or WD in the lock mechanism to try and free it up.
  12. O

Do I need to change my wheel bearings?

I bought the Haynes manual which has been extremely useful so far. It was only like 20 bucks. The impression I got was that you have to damage the seal between the inner and outer bearings to remove the inner bearings. Perhaps you could just repack the outer bearings to avoid having to get a...
  13. O

Do I need to change my wheel bearings?

Hey guys. I've had some conflicting opinions regarding whether or not I should change my front wheel bearings on my 2WD '99 and thought I'd come to you for a little more advice. When at the garage getting a couple new tires put on, the guy pointed out to me that my front wheels were a bit...
  14. O

Well, fwiw, the e-brake was obviously rusted through and in disrepair when they did the inspection last time. I actually didn't notice it until i had to put new tires on after the fact. maybe they just missed it. I wonder how they test the e-brake. Do they compress it and release it? Do they...
  15. O

SO I managed to finally get the cable disconnected today and replace the rusted out e-brake cable. It was pretty nasty. Also, getting the new cable on was a HUGE pain. It almost seems like the rubber cover was too long, but I found out if you put the part that actually connects to the brake...
  16. O

Rear passenger door won't open/unlock all the way

^ I got the same problem too. Any word on fixing it? What you had discussed before was the window motor, correct?
  17. O

Need to replace rusted through e-brake cable

So I got the car up, the cable slack, the tire off, and then fought with the cable connectors for about 2 hours. I absolutely cannot get any of the brake cables (front, intermediate, or back) to dislodge from their little metal connectors. It pretty much looks to me like they're rusted in. I...
  18. O

Hi again, everyone. Hope your superbowl weekend was enjoyable. Wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help on the engine clean. i used some engine cleaner I bought at Advance (their brand) and it worked alright. I hope I covered the right stuff, but if I didn't, the Ex didn't seem to mind...
  19. O

thanks for the advice. I'll try to check what i can while the car is up on stands and I'm under there. Sad thing is, I'm new to basic repairs, so I really don't know what is what.
  20. O

ah crap. had I read this, i would have bought the purple power stuff. I ended up getting the Advance general brand engine cleaner spray. What all should i cover before i do it? The wires where they connect to the spark plug? Maybe the electrical relay up near the cab? Anything else? (also...
  21. O

'99 Ex EB - stock I found this thread talking about replacing the e-brake cable on a Ranger. It should be roughly the same, but if any of you guys have experience with it, some first hand 9and maybe even pictures) would help. The guy at the garage said the part was $70 with about an hour's...
  22. O

School Me on Clay Barring

Hmmm, alright. I really just wanted someone who knew what they were talking about to verify that this might work before I went out and spent the money. So let me make sure this is the order i should do things, because it's sort of a mixture of info I've heard from different sources. - Someone...
  23. O

How long can i last?

Haha, alright. See, I just got my 99 Ex and reading that thread about the Death Rattle made me think my engine was going to collapse after about 1000 miles, though my engine sounds nothing like that.
  24. O

How long can i last?

fwiw, if you are able to get a video or audio of what it sounds like from inside the car while driving. I'm interested in knowing what to look out for on mine so i can address it before it becomes serious... or is this something you couldn't miss?
  25. O

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Thanks for this thread man. When I bought my Ex, the compass/thermostat display was bad. The guy I bought it from said the dealer told him it would be a couple hundred to replace. Undoubtedly, this helped devalue the car a little bit. After resoldering the resistor, works A-OK. Thanks to the OP...
Back