Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

AAMCO trans fluid and additive?

Aamco Well, never received any feedback from the corporate office. Instead, I got a phone call from the shop owner saying they had been contacted by the corporate office. The shop said the corporate office said I was unhappy with their service, and that the shop would be happy to dain my...
  2. M

MerconV Thanks again everyone for all the help. After checking around, it does seem as though the additive to dexronIII/mercon is normal practice in many shops in order to meet MerconV spec on the cheap. I can't believe it is as good as MerconV, which is semi-synthetic, but I also don't...
  3. M

I'm beginning to believe this may be correct. I put in a call to AAMCO's national customer service line. The person took all the info and told me one of their corporate techs would review it to see if this is normal and accepted AAMCO practice and get back to me. We shall see. At any rate I...
  4. M

Had the 5r55E serviced at AAMCO. Just the normal pan drop and filter change. Looking at the reciept, it said four quarts of DexronIII/Mercon. Asked the shop owner and he said that they use an approved additive in the Dex/Merc that meets MerconV specs. Said they use it in all cases that call...
  5. M

Acceleration Problems?

engine performance. Not sure of your problem, but I can help a little by ruling out the "water wetter" for you. The water wetter does NOT make the coolant 20 degrees cooler. Only a thermostat designed to open 20 degrees cooler than the stock one can do that. What the water wetter is...
  6. M

six great years with a 99 4 door xlt.

batteries. As far as batteries go, here in the Dallas,Texas area I seem to get about three-four years max with any battery. The heat really does them in. I have high hopes for my new Sears Diehard Gold as consumer reports rated them good for southern climates. People in more...
  7. M

Runnin'onEmpty- Darn! completely forgot I replaced the front pads at 40K!
  8. M

Goodyears are thumping

Goodyear Rt/S Yep! Mine had about 30K on them when I started hearing a Waa-Waa sound that increased with speed and was most noticeable at about 30 mph. Had the tires rotated and the suspension checked. Everything was perfect and the tires had no visible defect. However, the...
  9. M

Have had the Ex for six years now! 74,000 miles Update - On the third battery, on the third set of tires, on the second IAC, new Monroe sensatraks at 55K, and replaced one ABS rear sensor. Thats it! Oh, did the Om12 gasket/tentioner recall years ago also. Maintenance ...
  10. M

iac question??

IAC and trouble codes. My IAC failed and did not throw a code. I tried to clean the IAC and that seemed to work at first - but a week later I was stuck and a new IAC was the only cure. Never threw a code during the whole ordeal. As stated, there are codes that the IAC can set, but it seems...
  11. M

Changing Engine Coolant?? Brands

flushing Do not flush your system if the fluid is clean looking with no rust, and your system is working properly. You won't improve anything, and you can possibly damage seals, heater cores, etc, if you fail to get all the flush out. A simple drain and fill is all you need, and most...
  12. M

Mobil1 Extended Performance oil

Motorcraft filters I use Motorcraft FL1-A filters based on oil filter tests from www.bobistheoilguy.com and the fact that they are available about anywhere, cheap, seem well made, and are original equipment. However, I think I will switch to the new Mobil1 extended life oversize filters when...
  13. M

SOHC: What is this !?

thingie. All right! Now... is it a problem that the black rubber thingie pops off occasionally? Looks almost like its just a bumper for the acctuator rod.
  14. M

thingie Well then.... I don't know what it is. Someone will post with the right answer I'm sure.
  15. M

What??? Well, I don't have access to my 99 SOHC right now, but that looks like the location of the IAC on mine. However, that thingie looks way different than my IAC. EDIT on my 99, the EGR is on the front left of the block.
  16. M

Firestone Destination LE

Firestone Destination LEs old mechanic - the tires have M+S on the sidewall after the size. I'm not exactly sure what M+S tires are supposed to look like or even what test (if any) a tire has to undergo to meet that designation. After dirving a few more weeks on these tires I am still...
  17. M

Another High Idle Issue

run high. Idle speed is physically set by the IAC, although the PCM does take into account info from other sensors. The IAC is supposed to send a cel if your idle is over 1000. That being said, my IAC went on the fritz and never threw a single code. Cleaning the iac fixed the problem for a...
  18. M

Nitrogen

rippermac - thanks for the first hand report. All my info came via articles from Road and Track, etc.... The articles I read were pretty adament that nitrogen leaks out of car tires slower due to the size of the gas molecules, but I defer to your actual experience in the matter. :)...
  19. M

Nitrogen

Nitrogen and air pressure. Checking you air pressure (cold or hot) has no effect on what happens to the air in your tire as the tire heats up. Heat and pressure will increase as the tire warms up either way. A cold check is preferred as it is an easily repeatable baseline - and...
  20. M

Nitrogen

Pure nitrogen resists heat build up and transfer in tires better than air, doesn't hold moisture as well as air, and wont leak out of tires as fast as air. Nitrogen is used in airplane tires and heavy use commercial tires. In these uses, the tires are usually recapped, so the inners must last...
  21. M

Firestone Destination LE

Bought some Firestone Destination LE 255/70/16s for my 99 Explorer XLT last week. I must say they are by far the nicest riding and handling truck tires I have ever owned. They are M+S rated, not off-road tires, but handled some light gravel and dirt trails just fine. If you are looking for a...
  22. M

15-35% mileage increase

Well...duh....if it was round, things would fall off.
  23. M

15-35% mileage increase

Gas mileage. C'mon guys. A simple, cost effective, mechanically and environmentally friendly way of increasing your gas mileage doesn't exist. If it did it would be common knowledge and included in fuels or the cars themselves. Big oil companies and auto manufacturers do not have some...
  24. M

Mods To Make My 01 Last Longer

All the mods you want to do will cost a whole lot more than switching to synthetics like the new Mobil 1. Also, the switch to synthetics combined with proper maintenance will probably be more effective in making your EX last longer than the mods you mentioned.
  25. M

Is my IAC just too old

Iac Yep, same here. Cleaning fixed the problems for a few months, then I just bought a new one. Wish I did it sooner as idle and start-up are smoother now.
Back