Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Disable tpms on 2010 ford explorer with forscan software

Just a thanks to @Larryjb . The 06 we're putting on the road has some worn tires and questionable rims (curb rash and corrosion) while the 04 that we're retiring had new tires and unblemished rims, just no sensors. I've been looking for a few weeks to find some nice replacement wheels/tires...
  2. S

2006 4.0 Starts then dies after water pump replacement.

Check your wiring harnesses by the connectors. I was just going through my kid's 07 4.0 and most of the harnesses on top of the engine (MAF, coil pack, throttle body) and even the one that went to the O2 sensor were brittle and busted and crossed. Every wire. I have never seen anything like it...
  3. S

06 4.0 Lots of codes, erratic ignition timing, rough idle, smooth throttle

Kid had been driving the 2007 Explorer (not the one with the bad timing chain) for a while. She came home with a check engine light on for a lean condition. I had forgotten to tighten the throttle body clamp and think that was the issue. While the car was here, I decided to clean up the MAF...
  4. S

So, here's the update, 1 month later. I got the kid situated with another Explorer that she bought before this one. It had unresolved collision damage and needed some airbag components replaced to get that road worthy. A local U Pull It salvage yard fixed us up with everything that it...
  5. S

Just hooked it back up... ran it around the yard a few times and then took these... If you see something that I should be focusing on that I missed, please let me know. Had it running for another 20 minutes or so and still no codes.
  6. S

I think I have an update, here... So, thanks to @94Eddie , I started going through some of the "Schrodinger's Box" videos. One of them is discussing the "adaptive learning tables". After seeing this explanation, it's like you writing or typing without thinking about what you're doing...
  7. S

These are great videos. As evidenced by my first post, the LTFT show that Bank 1 is running rich with Bank 2 running relatively symmetrically lean. Also, new codes have popped up... P0301, P0302, P303... all of the Bank 1 cylinders. Since the engine runs much better and the data... MAP...
  8. S

I had a chance to hook the code reader up to my (good) 04 Explorer. Big difference in the MAP sensor readings. When running, 18 is about the reading for the 06 Explorer with something around 9.4 on the (good) 2004. The MAP sensor and EGR valve was something that was freshly replaced by the...
  9. S

Appreciated. I don't do this diagnostic stuff enough to become "good" at it. So everything involves a steep learning curve where I relearn the stuff that I had gone through years earlier. Refresher courses are always welcome. This is one of the big reasons that I've stuck with Ford vehicles...
  10. S

You guys haven't failed me yet. My kid picked up an 06 SOHC 4.0L Eddie Bauer with 178k for a winter/ bad weather vehicle. Good price because the owner was told it needed timing chains (new engine) by a garage after putting thousands into repairing it... tires, battery, plugs, wires, numerous...
  11. S

2001 mazda b3000 shift correction kit

Sounds too familiar. See the "5r55s Fail" thread. I had the springs switched from the Transgo kit... then apparently messed up the spring that controls the 2nd/OD servo, so it was rubbing the control valve. I know that it's a slightly different valve body, but if you didn't change anything...
  12. S

2001 mazda b3000 shift correction kit

That's the valve connected to the shift mechanism. So when you move your gear shifter, it's not manually moving anything in the valve body of the transmission.
  13. S

Rookie 5r55s rebuild fail

Thanks to both of you for steering me in the correct direction. I got it. I went over the entire valve body again... just double checking everything. Remember that I earlier posted that I had switched the yellow and green spring? Well, when I did that, I distorted/flared the yellow spring...
  14. S

Thank you for that. I didn't have this problem prior to the rebuild... but I did get a new solenoid pack and swapped it out. There there wasn't any difference in driving it... OD light started flashing within a half mile of the house... and still wasn't any fluid between the servo and cap...
  15. S

While I see that there is a bleed/drain in the OD servo bore between the servo and the cap... am I correct in thinking that there should be some evidence of residual fluid in there when it is pulled apart? I can't remember how much (if any) fluid was there when I originally disassembled it...
  16. S

Thank you for the advice. I checked it... saw that it was the one that is pretty deeply recessed in the bore. The end plug did stick a bit when I tried to pull it out with a bolt, but disassembled it and reassembled it. Looks to be in the same spot.
  17. S

I went ahead and bought the Rotunda"air test" plate as well as a Sonnax vacuum test kit. On the Air Test, the clutches seem to engage fine. I'm not sure what to look for on the Servo tests, I did re-install the OD servo... I didn't see anything wrong with it. While I had the adjustment...
  18. S

I missed the second part of this post, earlier... And that MIGHT be exactly the answer. Kind of. The Transgo kit has a green spring and 2 yellow springs... exactly in that location. I think my eyeballs are going south, but I got the larger springs switched! That would indeed be a rookie...
  19. S

Thank you for the response. There weren't any of the flare issues with the transmission prior to it failing and the band looked new... but knowing that this was an issue, I did look into it. Since the price of the tooling was prohibitive, I used a machined/o-ring version of the servo instead...
  20. S

I've done a few AODEs, but this was my first (and maybe last) 5r55s (06). Transmission whined a bit, but worked fine and shifted well, prior to the OD sprag failing (150k miles). There wasn't a lot of debris, but it did get the surface of the OD Planet gear. On teardown, everything looked...
  21. S

Finally signed up

I hope you guys have the slightest notion as to how valuable you guys are to those of us looking to learn, keep our vehicles in tact, and hoping to stay out of the repair bill poorhouse. I don't log in very much, but if I have a problem with any of my Ford vehicles, there's probably something...
  22. S

Ford CEO is todays one-percenter

There are few CEOs who could have done what Mulally has done. It is going to be tough to continue sales acceleration from this point without progress in the securitization market (shadow banking system), but we're looking at 15M US auto sales which is significantly up from the 10M unit mark in...
  23. S

2004 Ford explorer intermittent bang / clunk

Sorry to get off topic... but maybe it helps someone else. My sister-in-law just had this problem. She replaced 2 tires because of uneven wear/alignment issue... the other 2 tires were fine. She drove it but soon complained of the clunk... she took it to a mechanic and they showed her...
  24. S

2004 Ford explorer intermittent bang / clunk

Are your tires the same height?
Back