Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

2nd genTransmission in 1st gen explorer?

Thanks. I just needed some confirmation before spending the money. I'm going to meet with the guy this evening. He claims the M5OD is straight from Ford Motors and has never seen an engine. You can't beat that for $500. I'll keep you posted on the install.
  2. P

2nd genTransmission in 1st gen explorer?

The M5OD-R1 transmissions were used in (4.0 ohv) explorers from 1991-2000. Does anyone know if the bellhousings were diffierent, or should it just drop in? I found a good deal on a transmission made for the 95-98 4.0 ohv's, but don't want to throw money away if it is not going to line up on...
  3. P

? for those who have swapped rearend w/discs

boneyard outside Dallas :D I have been gong there for years, they always have at minimum 15-25 explorers on the lot at any given time. $200 is pretty standard for them on a rearend. Still wondering about the master cylinder ?
  4. P

? for those who have swapped rearend w/discs

This will be the 2nd rearend I've installed in my 94, but the first one with disc brakes. I picked up a 97 w/ 4:10LS and discs for $200 + donor master cylinder. I noticed that the master has a cruise switch located on the top, mine is manual trans and does not. Can I just cap off the hole...
  5. P

U-Joints

I'm partial to dana spicer's as well. Ran them on my old jeep and swear by them. They are harder to find for an explo...no local auto's are going to have them. I called my local driveline shop who uses nothing but spicer. They had them, think I paid like $12 each. Only thing is they are...
  6. P

Radiator Installation

www.radiatorbarn.com $120.00 free shipping next day delivery lifetime warranties on all their radiators great customer service I have bought a few radiators and a/c condensers from them, and I can speak first hand to their warranty guarantee...no questions asked they paid to have the...
  7. P

Replacement radiator

www.radiatorbarn.com They carry a few different brands, all which are good quality(much better than autozone). They have the best prices around, free shipping, and lifetime warranties on all their radiators. Plus 1 day shipping in most states I can speak first hand to their customer...
  8. P

argh! cracked heater hose plastic T

I believe that is the return side. As long as your heater is in the off position then the heater valve should be closed and no water circulating on that side. You should be able to get to the store and back without any problems. Like stated above, you can also either clamp off both heater...
  9. P

Removing heat vents...

91-94 a/c vents just slide in and out fairly easy. All you need is a slender flat head screwdriver or small flat piece of metal. Slide it along the side in between the outside of the a/c vent and the vinal dash. There are small tabs in there that will release when you do. The big vents have...
  10. P

installing fiberglass fenders, help

Jaimie, Do you mean mounting tabs for fender skirts? I didn't need tabs, Perry's glass has a small inner lip that runs along the fender; it is about 1/4" or so. I drilled small holes every 6-8" to mount my fender skirt to the glass. I used flathead bolts and nuts to attach to fiberglass...
  11. P

installing fiberglass fenders, help

No one mentioned, but maybe you already realize...you will need to cut/remove some of the stock fender tubs. You can easily cut them with a box cutter, dremel tool or similiar just make sure you don't cut any wires or harnesses attached to them. A lot of guys totally remove them, personally I...
  12. P

Long travel leaf springs

deaver's explo pack comes standard with 3" of lift over stock...but they will make custom ones to fit any specs you want. It will probably cost you more though. Call and talk to someone over at Camburg to get better details. I went with the standard prerunner pack, but was told the option to...
  13. P

Rear Fiberglass Fenders

Are these for function or more for looks? Install will depend a lot on what you want from the rear skins. Like Jaimie said there are many ways to mount rear glass. If they are for looks only, then I would rec just installing them directly over your stock sheet metal. This way you don't have...
  14. P

nerf bar hassles

They just bolt to the frame, as long as you get short ones for a sport, anything from 91 on up to 01 should work fine. The smittybuilt ones I use to have were made for the bII's up threw 94sport explorers..all the same.
  15. P

Rad Leak ?

Like Josh said above...it is very common for the plastic radiators to have small leaks in the seams where the plastic and aluminum are crimped together. Check both driver and passenger sides of the radiator. Follow the seam where it meets aluminum and look for dampness. Even then you might...
  16. P

93 Exp - gas gauge doesn't gauge

If it is stuck on "E" my guess would be the float as well. I had the same symptoms when my float went on my 94 a few years back. Simple fix...and you can buy the float separatly...which is what I did. If your truck has the original fuel pump in it though, you might consider just replacing the...
  17. P

Jegs roll cage

What ever works :thumbsup: Baseplate/w either bolts fed threw...or welded to and a few lug nuts and your set. I've even seen guys fab plates using an old rear hub assembly.
  18. P

Jegs roll cage

Yes most companies make a tire mount you can buy...but if you have fab skills and a welder it would be just as easy for you to make one yourself. You'll pay at least $50 probably more at any of the fab shops for a well mand tire mount.
  19. P

Jegs roll cage

Most simple designs for tire carriers are just crossbars X with either a threaded bolt you simply fit the tire over and tighten with a large nut, or some sort of tire mount fabricated to the center of the crossbars. The possibilities are really endless. Here are a few ideas...the first pic is...
  20. P

Jegs roll cage

You want pics of tire carriers similar to what you see in rangers...but for an explorer? Or you want pics of ranger bed cages w/tire carriers? single, dual,flat,vert, removable, what? I have tons of examples just need to know what you want to see? I'm with 410 here, I've seen the made to...
  21. P

towing

Physically capable.....not mentally :confused: *mechanically :D thats why I said as a one time deal he would be fine...a sport is perfectly capable of pulling 4000lbs if need be, and no tow vehicle is available. It can certainly handle the weight...I had no problems running at 65mph...
  22. P

towing

People under estimate what our vehicles are capable of. Can it do it?...yes. Is it wise?...no. If you were wired with controller and elec-brakes....and it was a one time thing you would be fine. On a regular basis not so good for your clutch, tranny, or engine. I use to tow our 24' 3400lbs...
  23. P

what kind of gas milage is your 91-94 getting???

94 2door, M5OD manual tranny, 3:73s, 32BFGs w/ 175,500 on the engine. Tires run at 28/26psi front/rear summer and 32/30 winter In town: 14-16 depending on how heavy my foot is :D Trips at 34/32psi Highway: 65-69mph @2100-2250rpms a/c off, windows down...17.5-17.9mpg 70-75mph...
  24. P

Heater/AC Poping Noise

Sounds maybe like your blend door is sticking, poping open and closed as you switch back and forth threw the controls.
  25. P

Heater/AC Poping Noise

"pop" noise from where? Are we talking inside the cab...like from under the dash somewhere? Or...somewhere in the engine compartment?
Back