Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. U

Need a new Exhaust...Suggestions?..'97 SOHC

Thanks guys. I have also heard that FW sounds less than stellar on SOHC so I may avoid that.
  2. U

Need a new Exhaust...Suggestions?..'97 SOHC

Hey guys, I just celebrated the one year anniversary of when I bought my Explorer. A year later and 16k miles, not a single thing has gone wrong with it and I'm extatic! :) That said, the exhaust is about to fall off and I have a few questions that I hope some can chime in on. Does a bad...
  3. U

MagnaFlow for 97 SOHC?

I have looked all over the internet and can't get any leads on where to get a MF for my 97 Explorer. Do they just not make them? :( Any suggestions?
  4. U

How many miles?

1997 XLT control trac AWD/4WD SOHC 98,000 miles. Low Miles!!! Repairs needed that I know of... New exhaust New tires New brake pads Other than that, running perfectly fine! Picked it up 4 months ago for just $3,500.
  5. U

Corporate Fleet Lease Vehicle?!?

Thanks fellas for all the info! On the carfax is stated that when new it was under the fleat lease title for nearly 7 years. They put 80k on the truck and then sold it to a private buyer in '04. The Explorer was then traded to a ford dealer in Nov. of 08. During this period of time...'04 to...
  6. U

Corporate Fleet Lease Vehicle?!?

Hey guys, I have posted before on here and recieved excellent info...and I am in need of some more of the same! I just ran a carfax on my '97 SOHC Explorer and found out that when the vehicle was first made, it was under the name/owner of a "corporate lease vehicle." I am not sure what...
  7. U

XLT-Eddie Bauer-Limited?? What's the difference?

Yeah that makes sense guys. I didn't take into account the cosmetic options as well as heated mirrors, seats, etc. So maybe you could call my XLT a fully optioned XLT? While I am thinking about it...let me get the opinion of some of you knowledgable denizens.... I have the SOHC...
  8. U

XLT-Eddie Bauer-Limited?? What's the difference?

Okay guys, something has me wondering....what makes an XLT an XLT? A Limited a Limited? So on and so forth.... I have an XLT with... -luxury package (i.e. leather seats, power seats, over head console) -6 Disc changer w/ premium sound -Moon roof -Towing package -Remote start/keyless...
  9. U

Hey! Newbie here with a few questions...

I made a 900 mile treck to Wisconsin a couple months back so the MPG jumped to the 19mpg range, obviously. But other than that, I have consistently been in the 13-15mpg range. Is that normal? I figured the SOHC would get at least as good of MPG as the push rod V6. I was hoping for consistent...
  10. U

Hey Guys, new to the board!!! Ready for more power!!!

To expand further on the timing chain issue....how hard of a fix is it? A do-it-yourselfer? My buddy made a very vague guesstimate at the cost of such a fix and he said "Maybe anywhere from $500-800." What are some figures for those who have "been there?" edit: I bought the Explorer...
  11. U

97 Explorer Rear Wiper Issues...has me pulling my hair out.

I have been all over the internet and can't seem to find how to remove the rear wiper blade on my '97 Explorer. There looks to be a pin that needs to be removed that is held in place by some sort of clip that sort of has a star like shape to it. But, alas, I can't seem to get it off and am...
  12. U

Hey! Newbie here with a few questions...

In terms of whether it is a good buy or not, I bought a 97 Explorer 3 months back with 93k miles. It is the 4.0 SOHC, so obviously it is not the same as yours, but I have since put 4k miles on it and haven't had a single problem. Really nice ride, great power with the SOHC, so yours will be at...
  13. U

I have heard of problems with the timing chain on the 97. Is this what you speak of? I have been told by one of my friends that is an Explorer enthusiast to get that swapped with a new one relatively soon. He said "if the chain goes bad, you are talking catastrophic engine failure." Although he...
  14. U

Just wanted to say what up fellas! Glad I found this forum. Hopefully I can pick the brains of some of you and learn some things! I just bought my first car/truck a few months back....a fully loaded 1997 Explorer XLT w/ SOHC engine. I couldn't be happier with the thing but am now ready to...
Back