Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

8.8 Axle Facts and Swap info

Quick dumb q...I swapped my 8.8 out of my 96 Ex into my 94 YJ...I'm looking to regear, and I'm wondering if I can use a ring/pinion set that is classified as being out of a Mustang 8.8? I know it says not to use the whole axle, but are the gears pretty much the same?
  2. P

T-case issues

Parting it out. I'm stealing the rear end, tires, rims, and backseat. If anyone else wants parts, make me an offer. I'll ship small and easy-to-get-to parts, but if it's large or difficult to remove, you'll have to come pull it yourself. Just send me an email here if you're interested.
  3. P

Regearing - ratio advice

I actually run 4.10's with 35's on my Jeep Wrangler with no issues, plus I get 22-25 mpg in a vehicle famous for 18 and less.
  4. P

T-case issues

Yet another change in plans. Vehicle didn't sell, and my buddy, who is a mechanic, very strongly feels that it's the torque converter. I just got a rebuilt/upgraded TC off of eBay, and once it's delivered, he's going to help me put it in. I'll post here when it's done and what the result is.
  5. P

T-case issues

Decided NOT to put the money into it, but decided to sell it as a parts or repair vehicle instead. Was going to post my eBay listing in the For Sale thread, but since I'm not an Elite Explorer... If anyone's interested, my eBay username is puddlepirate72 Thanks and good luck.
  6. P

T-case issues

Okay, so, transfer case rebuilt and installed. Now I have new symptoms: Vehicle does not come out of park even when you move the gearshift, yet the shift lever on the transmission IS moving with the gearshift (automatic tranny). O/D OFF light flashes. Other than those two symptoms...
  7. P

T-case issues

Actually, the clutch pack looks okay. It's dirty, but it appears to be in decent condition. Same with the planetary gear set! WOOOHOOO! So my plan is basically just to replace the three parts that need it; shift fork, pump, and motor, at least for now, because I only plan to use it as a...
  8. P

T-case issues

Aaaaaaaaaalrighty, then. Sorry about the delay, but I finally have it cracked open, and here's what I have: Shift fork nylon guides are completely gone, AND there's a chunk missing out of one of the "heads" (circled in yellow): Okaaaaay, for some reason, the yellow isn't showing up, but...
  9. P

T-case issues

Yeah, I was kind of figuring on a full rebuild, and I was actually going to do it whether or not it needed it, since it's got 218k on it, and since I'll have it apart, anyway. Thanks for the reply, and as I said, I'll keep everyone posted. I'll be finishing up the t-case yank and crack...
  10. P

T-case issues

Alrighty then, first of all, just bought a 96 Exploder XLT, and I've pretty much narrowed the issue to either the t-case or the shift motor. Anyway, here's the symptoms: In 2HI: Plenty of vroom-vroom, but when you put it in gear (it's an automatic tranny, BTW), lots of clicking/grinding and...
  11. P

I bought my X to avoid this...

From what you said, you seemed to have done everything right, especially the slowing down for poor road conditions. Some drivers are just a-holes. Don't let them bother you. But this is one reason that one of my biggest pet peeves is another driver sitting next to me, no matter how I...
  12. P

Spring wheelin

As long as I have my tranny/t-case issue licked, I'll need to de-virginize my '96 :)
Back