Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

First real complaint

Seats in my 98 Sport are still infinitely better than any late model Explorer I've been in. I always thought the control trim was too flimsy, but it's somehow still hanging on after 23 years of getting kicked the crap out of by eight or nine different pairs of boots.
  2. R

Anyone still driving 2nd gens?

99 Sport in my profile pic is still running strong. Not a daily driver and has some electrical gremlins (we pull fuses before parking for a long time), but still a nice truck for around town or when the snow or mud is too deep for the Tacoma.
  3. R

Radio is distorting. Found these cut wires in the trunk. Please help

I wouldn't assume anything without tracing them to their source + continuity tests, but it looks like aftermarket powered sub wiring. By most standards, red = positive battery, clear = ground, thin blue = remote power on signal from head unit to amp. If installed even remotely correctly, the...
  4. R

Explorer feels extremely unsafe on slick roads

What tires? In snow driving, a 2WD sedan with studded snow tires will blow away most 4X4s running all season tires.
  5. R

Truckhaven Oct. 21st -23rd 20th Anniversary Run Part 2

We made it home safe in spite of an hour detour in the slums of Palm Springs. Had a blast as always. Great to see everyone!
  6. R

Finished loading up firewood and getting ready to head out. Should be bouncingaround 2:30pm :bounce:.
  7. R

Glad you took time to tackling the trailer tire trouble. Trashing or tearing your trailer tires while traveling would be terrible.
  8. R

If it counts, I'm still IFS on 32s. Sad more people don't want (or can't make time) to take stock 4x4's here. Truckhaven is so diverse. It's one of the best places I can think of to wheel a stock vehicle... and with a whole group full of folks who don't mind taking it easy between the big dog...
  9. R

QFT. Map and/or GPS would be nice if anyone has them.
  10. R

This looks increasingly inviting and I feel inclined to invert my inscrutable indifference.
  11. R

1999 Ford Explorer Sport restoration

Note that some parts from 95-97 will also be compatible. AFAIK, the Sport frame is pretty much the same between 95 and 99, but body and trim redesigns changed a lot of finish items from 96 to 98 and again from 2001 to 2002.
  12. R

Just WOW Ford....

Agreed, but I don't think it's just a matter of comparing to more expensive models. IMO previous generation Fords at comparatively similar price points had MUCH better fit/finish than the current generation. My 98 Sport is 18 years old and the factory paint and trim on it is still almost...
  13. R

Fuel mileage going from stock wheels/tires to larger tires

Hard to compare two different trucks from different years... even of the same model. There are just too many variables. I'm pretty sure I never got 19 on my sport from the factory.... but the SOHC6 4WD is a completely different beast than your AWD V8 so to some extent my mileage means nothing...
  14. R

Fuel mileage going from stock wheels/tires to larger tires

You didn't mention what mileage you were getting before or what TYPE of tires each were. I'm getting 9 to 13 on the road (factory was 15-18), but that's after sliders, skid plate, locker, body lift, larger/more aggressive tires.... all of which have some affect on mileage. Anyway, all told I...
  15. R

2001 Ford explorer sport 2 door 4.0l 4x4 body lift?

Welcome to the forums! There's nothing designed specifically for your Explorer, but you can use Performance Accessories PA 883 or PA 792 with some tweaks. Search forum for 'body lift' or check stickies (lifting your explorer)
  16. R

WTB EE rear sway bar

I have one I pulled one off my sport after I lifted it, but shipping will be a killer on this. Planning any road trips to SoCal? :D
  17. R

1998 wading

Never seen an actual howto... but you might want to look at this thread and ask about the kit used by glenn_a. It looks clean.
  18. R

1998 wading

Air intake is at headlight height, so your diff and transmission vents are what you should worry about. I've been in over 2' of water quite a few times and my diff oil still looked pretty good when changed, but if I was expecting regular floods I'd extend the diff and transmission breathers...
  19. R

Question for the Treadwright guys

I have the Wardens on my Tacoma now, but I've been off road with both in the Explorer. Wardens are basically BFG A/T clones, so they're good 'overall' trail tires. Excellent for sand/rock/dirt and decent on pavement, but not so good for mud or heavy water/snow.
  20. R

Question for the Treadwright guys

I have both. Warden on my DD and Guard Dogs on the trail truck. For a daily driver, definitely Warden... unless your commute is mostly mud and rock :D. The Guard Dogs are great offroad and pretty tame on pavement as far a MTs go, but they are still loud and (in E range) heavy for street...
  21. R

New Mexico Man

re: http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5060109877.html The OHV V6 wasn't used after 2001. It's going to be an SOHC, so depending on mileage, budget time/money for timing chain issues or just skip it.
  22. R

Moab 2015 - May 22-24

Wasn't all bad ...
  23. R

Moab 2015 - May 22-24

Glad we got to meet everyone this morning. Hope today's runs were better than our ride. Trails and views were awesome. Rain, hail high winds and hoarfrost forming on arm hair not so awesome. Sorry if we can't make the dinner tonight, but we're going to need some recovery time.
  24. R

Moab 2015 - May 22-24

Sorry Rick. Hope you feel better soon. No need to live with the pain. Get the surgery ASAP.
Back