Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Another SOHC no start thread... :(

I never did get to the bottom of it and it's been going on for 3 years now on mine. I went as far as replacing ECM after everything else had been replaced and/or tested. It still seems like the IAC but I don't know that it would cause a no-start. When it happens I can floor it as I crank and...
  2. E

Intermittent no-start *RESOLVED*

Well, I don't want to jump the gun here but I figured I might as well write this up now. I had an intermittent starting issue for the last two years which I have posted a few times in here. It seemed like it was worse when the temp outside was hotter. It would crank but not fire. Or it would...
  3. E

good MAF lb/m?

old intermittent start, new symptom Hi, I have an intermittent start where I have replace tons of stuff. Anyway, we went through a cold spell here and then it's back up in the 70's. The car started way better during the cold weather than when it's hot. Now I'm back running into the same...
  4. E

Fuel pump going out?

Yeah, I cleaned my IAC before I replaced and it didn't help so pretty sure mine was busted.
  5. E

New, reman, or salvage yard for mass air sensor

While you're cleaning the MAF, throw the IAC under the electronics cleaner spray too. Takes 5 min but if it looks as bad as mine did it's worth it.
  6. E

Fuel pump going out?

I had the same issue (plus intermittent no-start), but checked my pressure and it was good. Still don't know what the downhill thing is all about - I ended up just not letting mine drop below a quarter. My rough stumble when starting was due to IAC though - replaced it two days ago and I'm...
  7. E

good MAF lb/m?

You're right, I must have read that wrong - my TPS was 18.4 at on position and then went up to about 90 at WOT. Yeah, I'm bummed out about the intermittent thing. I guess I'll just keep hoping it doesn't happen in the mountains! Thanks for your help diagnosing! I'll post if anything else...
  8. E

good MAF lb/m?

I switched out the wires tonight and it started okay afterward. One thing I thought was really weird and would like to see if this is normal is the layout of the wires. Looking at the engine from the front of the car: Left side looked good with wires 3, 2, 1 in order from back to front matching...
  9. E

good MAF lb/m?

It didn't feel like a coincidence when I hit the throttle and it started, but it could have been. I felt like I waited long enough while the engine was turning over before I hit it. No, I haven't monitored the TPS at engine start with my scanner, but I will check it tomorrow night and see what...
  10. E

good MAF lb/m?

I replaced all the plugs today (new wires arrive tomorrow). I started the car fine after 3, and then after all 6. Then I tried starting it again and it wouldn't start. So I had someone turn the key and I hit the throttle under the hood. Car started right up. Then I got in the driver's seat and...
  11. E

good MAF lb/m?

Thanks for the reply! When I tested fuel pressure with the disconnected hose to the fuel pressure regulator (which I replaced last year) the pressure went up to 39. So ten over idle pretty much. IAT started at 79 degrees and crept down to 75 over a few minutes of idling. coolant temp started...
  12. E

good MAF lb/m?

I was able to test the pressure tonight. 36 at the On position 30 at idle 35 throttling, with no falls when pressed fast. 30 after turning off, slowly climbing up to 36 within a few minutes. I think these are pretty normal readings for a '98 right? Does that pretty much rule out a fuel...
  13. E

Starting & running issues.

Yeah, I would check the sensors and vacuum leak first as that should be fairly easy. Clean your IAC and MAF while you're at it if you haven't before.
  14. E

good MAF lb/m?

I found my fuel pressure tester and confirmed the valve that screws onto the schrader valve is busted. Ordered a new one from Amazon and will have it Wednesday and will post the results. Thanks!
  15. E

good MAF lb/m?

Thanks for the reply! I haven't been able to replicate the no-start condition again yet so I haven't been able to check whether it starts if I open the throttle plate yet. I'll do that with the next no-start. I tested the TPS and it came out good. .94 at closed, 3.74 wide open with no jumps...
  16. E

good MAF lb/m?

Okay, this morning I cleaned the MAF and disconnected the battery to reset. Then I sprayed carb cleaner all over to try and find any vacuum leaks but didn't find anything. The car started great the first time this morning. The 2nd time I had to give it gas, the third time was great. Could my...
  17. E

good MAF lb/m?

Hi, it's been a long time since my last post! Just wondering what I should expect my MAF lb/m ratio to be? Mine read out at .75-.90 tonight at cold start about 60 degree weather. Ex didn't start earlier tonight which reverts back to an old issue I had with a no-start condition. It would turn...
  18. E

99 OHV sat for 1 day now it wont start

Hi, you might want to clean the IAC just in case since it's super easy. That's probably not be your issue, but it won't hurt. I had your symptoms a while back and I know how annoyed you probably are right now with it! Wish I could tell you what actually fixed mine - I did everything you did...
  19. E

Engine dies when you let off of the gas pedal.

yep, clean both - but keep in minde that it is possible your IAC is too far gone and cleaning won't fully fix it.
  20. E

Spark Plug Wire Recommendations

I use Magnecors on my XJ-S and they are fantastic.
  21. E

Another SOHC no start thread... :(

I had the exact same symptoms and changed the same stuff you did. Ultimately it was some jostling around that fixed it after loading it onto a flatbed and transporting it to a friend's, it fired up. Not sure what did it, but please post if you find the answer! Good luck!
  22. E

12/1995 Explorer V-6 4.0 starts then dies after 2-3 seconds

Had the same issue with my '98. changed the filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, and crankshaft sensor (it wasn't firing up at all at first, then got your symptoms after replacing crankshaft sensor). Turns out my fuel pressure tester was busted and I didn't know it so can't tell you...
  23. E

disconnect tool at tank - what size?

Thanks, I did have a little trouble when I did my fuel filter a few weeks ago. Still haven't picked up the multi pack to drop the tank and it keeps snowing here in Seattle which is just crazy.
  24. E

I didn't see the multi-pack there so I'll have to look around some more and check out some other shops. The metal ones were $15 a pop at Schucks so I didn't want to accidentally pick up the wrong one! Thanks for the tip.
  25. E

Hi, I'm about to drop my tank to replace the fuel pump this week. I'm not sure what size disconnect tool to get for the line at the tank though. Does anyone know? I couldn't find it in the shop manual or any of the other threads. I have the one I used for the fuel filter - I think 5/16. I...
Back