Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

ABS light is on

I have a 93 XLT and the ABS light was on as well. After about 6 months of trying everything, it turned out to be the ABS control relay under the hood. Swapped out the relay and the light is off and the ABS works like it should. Just remember that the relays die after a while as well and I guess...
  2. N

Side mirrors are no good for towin...need help

I use the kind that strap onto your side-view mirrors. They work great for seeing around the back and at the same time the stock mirrors work good for viewing your blindspot.
  3. N

How fast can you change the plugs on your V6???

Just replaced all 6 and it took 45 minutes for all 6 as well as a complete oil and filter change. The passenger side ones are definitely harder to do, but easier through the wheel well. I did NOT have to remove the wheel either.
  4. N

where or how to hook trailer chains when using bumper-mounted trailer ball

I also use those same holes on the crossmember. It's just above the rear of the spare. I am able to cross my safety chains and haven't bound them up at all. Of course you have to make sure the chains are long enough anyway. I have use a trailer with a chain to short to use on any hitch. I...
  5. N

4X4 woes

To properly test the module you need to remove the 8-wire and 5-wire connectors. Turn the ignition to the run position, but don't start it. Then push the button. If the light flashes then the module is good. If the light is steady then the module has gone bad and needs to be replaced. If you...
  6. N

Turn signal dosent flash but stays on.

On my 93 when a bulb burns out, it blinks twice as fast. When the flasher went out, it didn't blink, but just stayed on steady. Replace the flasher under the dash on the fuse panel with a new one and you should be good to go. Flasher costs a couple bucks is all.
  7. N

Radius arm bushings...is this right???

I have a place locally that has them for $18.99USD per side. Installing a pair this weekend.
  8. N

Door Handle Doom!!!!

Ditto the epoxy method. I repaired the passenger door about a year ago with an entire tube of 5 ton epoxy. I've stood on the handle since then and not had it break or crack. I filled the backside of the handle and door around the ends where it broke.
  9. N

Check oil light on?

My 1993 does this when parked facing uphill on cold days. I discovered that it's partly due to the oil level sensor being near the front of the oil pan so that when it is elevated somewhat, the sensor sits just out of the oil in the pan. I've pulled and cleaned mine and then parked in various...
  10. N

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

I used a piece of high-temp heater hose of the correct diameter cut to length to fit in the case. Been going strong for over a year since my repair.
  11. N

Flying Ranger

He only forgot the all-important, in-cab video.
  12. N

four wheel drive problems

I have posted a response to this before, but here it is again. That is normal behavior for a 4x4 that is engaged and the wheel is turned almost to the lock limit. It's caused by the joints in the axle binding when the wheels are turned to an extreme angle. If you are on pavement, don't do it...
  13. N

Gas Mileage

I have been averaging around 15-16 daily driving. Just got 14 over the weekend with it fully loaded and pulling my camping trailer. Involved a lot of hills and also some unloaded beach time in 4 high. I was actually suprised at how good of mileage I got on this trip. I was expecting something a...
  14. N

where to put fog lights/driving lights???

Depends on your style of offroading. If they hang low, you risk taking them out with a rock, log, or even a high curb. Personal preference always counts, but Al is right about the lower performs better thing. I have my mounted inside the cutouts on the bumper. That way they are low, but also...
  15. N

Explorer prototype

The insurance adjuster that came out when my wife totalled her Focus had a setup like that in a cargo van. It was a pretty sweet setup with a couple laptops and a cell connection for getting immediate online quotes. I sat with the adjuster for an hour or so to get everything taken care of and...
  16. N

1st gen X info

Don't know how, but he bought it off the original owner. They made no modifications to it. He has the original window sticker listing all the items, but none were on it except the tranny cooler. The door code shows the 3.73 open rear diff. Guess someone at the dealer goofed when adding the...
  17. N

What is this.......

I would check the heat shields over the tops of the Cats. They are only tack welded on the corners. Mine had one weld each holding them on. I just reached up and ripped them off. No more rattle. This is a common problem for a lot of cars. My wifes 2003 Taurus has the same rattle and I have...
  18. N

Restore?

I have used Restore on my '93 XLT OHV for the last 3 oil changes. I noticed a difference after the second use. The engine rev'd better and stopped trying to stall on cold starts. One word of caution though. It cleaned up stuff a little too good and now I have a small oil leak that probably...
  19. N

1st gen X info

My '93 XLT has 4wheel ABS(really 2 front sensors and a rear axle sensor), 3.73 open, cloth interior, 2 side by side cupholders and no EGR. My dads '94 Limited with the tow package did not have a receiver and has a 3.73 open. Otherwise he has just about every other option available.
  20. N

steering wheel adjustment.

Another possibility could be that the steering shaft was connected together 90* off going to the steering box. Check that as well as the other suggestions.
  21. N

93 X at mechanic's shop. info? (4x4) switches

I found the document, but lost the link where I got if from. I will scan it in and try to get it posted on here. It's a pretty thorough test procedure for the wiring, module, buttons and motor connections. I should have it up tomorrow.
  22. N

93 X at mechanic's shop. info? (4x4) switches

I have a document that I found on the web listing the test procedures to check the module and the switches. It will also test the continuity to and from the shift motor. It is at home and I can't find the link just now, but when I find it or I get it off the printout later tonight at home, I...
  23. N

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

I use a long dental pick tool that I picked up years ago for who knows what. It slips down and has a nice little bend on the end to get under the red lock ring. Pull it out and pry back the tab on the center pin, pull the brown wire from the back and Voila. No cut wires and neat as can be. I was...
  24. N

Another cruise and abs question...

I have a 93 XLT with the ABS light on. I have air in the ABS pump and haven't taken the time to fix it, so just pulled the fuse. The cruise works just fine in mine with the light on and the ABS disabled. Cruise works fine with or without the fuse with the ABS light on. Something wrong with your...
  25. N

can anyone find my gears

sounds like the transfer case got stuck in a neutral position. What happens when you rev the engine? Any resistance when reving in a gear position? Does the driveshaft spin at all? If the shaft is spinning, but no forward/reverse motion of the vehicle, then check the diff gears.
Back