Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Chasing a 565 code (canister purge solenoid)

So, I actually have 2 '94 explorer xlt's. One has rear collision damage, but runs great with no codes. A planned engine donor for my other one. The other has a key on engine off 565 code. There are no other symptoms, like rough idling or a strong fuel smell… This morning I swapped the...
  2. M

Transmission Kick-down issues...

No, the kickdown does a lot more than just when you push the throttle to the floor. When you let off the gas, and the truck downshifts, That was the kickdown. When you're heading up the hill, and you push on the gas harder to make it down shift, that was the kickdown too. Almost every time your...
  3. M

Transmission Kick-down issues...

I have a '94 4-door, 4wd, automatic and the kick-down in the transmission seems to be acting weird. I have already tried adjusting the kick-down cable a few times. The symptoms change a little, but don't go away. Basically, while cruising certain speeds, the transmission will shift into too...
  4. M

A4LD tranny expert needed...

Well, somehow I scared it back into working. All I did the other day was adjust the kick-down cable and remove/re-plug a few vacuum lines to see if there was cracks and/or fluid inside them. I drove it to work yesterday in the middle of a hot day, and all seemed fine. Got to love the ghosts...
  5. M

Also, forgot to mention this... The partial fluid change didn't really make the difference I thought it did. After the change, I test drove it at night when the temp was in the 60's. It started acting up again during the day when it was much warmer out. Last night I drove it, and the problem...
  6. M

I haven't seen a vacuum leak yet. And yes, I think this tranny has an adjustable modulator. By modulator, I'm guessing you mean the vacuum diaphragm the manual points out. The re-built tranny has a gear looking knob on the diaphragm, however, it's too tight to turn by hand, so I wanted to...
  7. M

So I have a '94 explorer 4x4 4-door with a rebuilt tranny in it. A few days ago, it started shifting a bit weird. Everything seems smooth except the torque converter seems to lock up too soon. In over-drive, it will try to lock the converter at like 35 mph, which leaves the rpms at only...
  8. M

Trailer Wiring Info?

I was told by another driver that my trailer lights weren't working. I checked the trailer on a different vehicle, and it's not the trailer, or a buld. I checked the connector pins on the bumper with a test light, and I do get power to each pin, i.e. running lights, left and right...
  9. M

Ok, I'm completely stumped!

This sounds very similar to my issue. I had similar codes, and problems. Mine ended up being a bad PCM and a bad O2 sensor. When the O2 sensor was pegged on lean, I'd get a Fuel Pump Circuit Failure code. When the O2 sensor pegged to rich, I'd get a MAF Below Minimum Voltage code. Never...
  10. M

Low to No idle - can start with throttle - Here I go again...

It seems fixed now. I did have a bad PCM, and a bad Bank 1 O2 Sensor. I was reading through TSB's and other forums from work. I found a problem where the O2 Sensor can short out, and actually short that circuit in the PCM. My cousin borrowed a Snap-On Motis from someone. We hooked it up and...
  11. M

I'm not totally giving up on this truck. I'm just putting it on the back burner for awhile. I'm having leg surgery in March, and simply don't have the time or money to chase a problem like this. Right now, I'm looking to use my tax money to buy a little POS economy car. Something that...
  12. M

The only aftermarket thing installed was a interlock alcohol tester. I was the guy who installed and removed the interlock. That's what I do for a living is deal with CO's DUI people. CO requires an interlock after any DUI. I am well in tune with testing wiring because on most 2006 and newer...
  13. M

I returned the Napa PCM, got my original back, tried it. It started right up, idled perfectly for 5 minutes, then died. I'm back to the original problem with the stock PCM, or I have a different problem with the used PCM and no way to flash it's codes. Someone shoot me...
  14. M

What would you guys do if this was your vehicle? Continue trying to fix it, or abandon the idea in search of a different vehicle? Here is my history with it: I bought it around June '09 for 200 bucks with a blown transmission. It ran really well, but gave a Neutral Safety Switch code and a...
  15. M

Yeah, I did forget to mention that in the first post yesterday. However, I am still not fixed. I replaced the PCM with a matching numbered PCM from a junk yard. Now I get an entirely different set of running issues. The CEL comes on & goes off. The engine runs much better, but stumbles...
  16. M

So, went to pull n' save auto parts and pulled a used PCM from a '94. The key numbers all matched. The truck started right up and seemed fine until I hit the highway back. I started feeling slight hesitation followed by the CEL coming on. I pulled into a parking spot with the code reader...
  17. M

Okay, this morning I disconnected the battery, tested the resistance of both O2 sensors for a short as described by ShopKey. Both tested okay. I disconnected the PCM, and tested the resistance of all 3 ground wires against a frame ground. All the wires tested with 0 ohms, so good contact to...
  18. M

The fuel pump has power and does not ever shut off during these episodes. When turning the key to on, I can hear both the fuel pump relay click, and I can hear the fuel pump power up. I swapped a few relays in the power box since they are the same part number, so it's not a relay issue. The...
  19. M

I pulled the memory codes at lunch. I got a 543 - Fuel Pump circut open battery to PCM. I looked on ShopKey this afternoon here at work, and it says it is either a short in the Left O2 sensor, or it's a bad PCM. Being that I previously saw the 542 - Fuel pump circut open PCM to engine...
  20. M

Well, it did it's acting up again last night and will not start this morning without throttle. I did get a CEL to turn on and back off a few times while it was acting up. I have yet to check the memory codes to see what it was. I am willing to bet that I'll get some sort of oxygen sensor code.
  21. M

Well, so far so good. My Exp has not had any issues starting since. I'm thinking I'll replace both the fuel pump relay and the EEC relay. However, after talking to my cousin, who is a very skilled tech. He told me he had seen a 1st gen explorer at his shop recently having a very similar...
  22. M

I might be getting somewhere... Or Not... Okay, forget the 2 temp sensor codes. I hadn't warmed up the engine before the KOEO test, duh... Then, when I did try to start it, it started, idled, and ran as smooth as could be. For 2 days now, I've been disconnecting the battery, messing with...
  23. M

Can anyone tell me if this makes sense? Being the engine will not run on it's own, I did a Key On Engine Off code test. I am getting both a 116 code and a 114 code. The 116 is the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor, and the 114 code is the Intake Air Temp Sensor. Both of those codes say "voltage is...
  24. M

I managed to get it up into the garage this morning. I'm planning to remove the throttle body off the upper intake and checking all the ports going into the IAC. Another point worth mentioning is this. I can get it to start with throttle. While I'm holding the throttle, the engine does NOT...
  25. M

radius arm bushings

Not a lot of info in the original post, so I'm just going to mention ideas... 1. Are the cross member holes chewed, rough, cracked, or otherwise miss-shaped? Napa sells the cross members for about 60 buck each. 2. Were the plastic cups installed in the correct order? I.E. The metal...
Back