Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

OD on or off?? 08 V8 6sp

These ohc ford v8's were meant to rev. I dont see where the engine taching a little higher when towing is a bad thing other than more fuel usage. My buddy, who is a Ford parts manager and drag racer, says to me to "let it eat". So thats what I do. The only time I will turn the o/d back on is if...
  2. V

2007 Explorer tow mirrors

http://hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors/ I went through 3 sets of those dumb strap on things. Hell, I even emailed CIPA to see if they were planning on making tow mirrors for the 06 to 10. Got a very short answer. NO! So I bit the bullet and bought these. They are phenominal. Cant say...
  3. V

OD on or off?? 08 V8 6sp

Where I live in western PA, I leave it out of o/d. Way too many hills. I have always been told that excessive shifting is what cause heat and heat causes trans. failure. My thoughts are this: at 60 mph I am taching about 26 to 2700 rpm. I can live with that. Truck feels strong and pulls my...
  4. V

Tell Me What You Tow...

I have an 06 awd Mountaineer with the 4.6 v8 and factory tow package. If it matters, I also have a Magnaflow catback with a kkm intake. She makes a little more power over stock. I have a Husky friction type sway controller along with a an 1200 lb tounge weight weight dist. hitch. Inside the...
  5. V

Tell Me What You Tow...

http://hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors/ I have these mirrors. They are awesome. Will cost you about 175 bucks, but well worth it. I tried those crappy strap on things and hated them. Found these and never looked back.
  6. V

Shorty Antenna For 08 Explorer

I just bought a black rubber on at Pep Boys for 10 bucks. Its about a foot long and looks way better than stock. They come with different adapters to fit your car. Didnt notice any difference in performance over stock, which is a good thing.
  7. V

Explorer with OEM 20" Flex Wheels?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241250 Heres my old post. Complete with pics....
  8. V

Explorer with OEM 20" Flex Wheels?

They will fit. I have the Ford Accessories 20's from an Edge on My Mountaineer. All I had to do was cut a hole in the rear lining of the rear center caps to get them to clear the axle nut. The fronts mounted up just fine with no mod at all. Even the tpms synced up.
  9. V

What's a good size trailer to buy with out being to big for my EX

I have a 19 foot tt that weighs about 5000 lbs when all loaded up. My v8 Mountaineer tows it great on the highway at 65 to 70 mph with no problem. You do know its back there for sure, though. Funny thing I just discovered is that it pulls better at 65 to 70 than 55 to 60. Could be the sweet spot...
  10. V

Will Explorer tow a Roo?

Def try to find a v8 with a tow package. If you were just towing for short trips, I would say the v6 would be fine, but sounds like you have some serious travel plans in mind. Go for the v8 with tow package and you will have no worries.
  11. V

Weight Distribution Bars and Backing Up. Make a Difference?

I def. need more practice, but man, that trailer was acting completely differently with the spring bars removed. I thought I had lost what little skill I had acquired! Glad to hear you confirmed what i was thinking. BTW, The camper is a tandem axle. Funny you mentioned using the mirrors. I was...
  12. V

Weight Distribution Bars and Backing Up. Make a Difference?

Towed the travel trailer home after a weekend of camping and ran into some difficulty backing the trailer up. Normally, we would back in then remove the weight distribution bars from the hitch. Today, I needrd to allow the awning some time to dry out, so I rolled it out and figured I would get...
  13. V

What do I need to get started towing a camper?

Sounds like we have similar travel trailers and tow vehicles. I find the "sweet spot" on the highway for me seems to be about 65 to 70 mph. Less shifting than traveling at 55 to 60. Really impressed with the tow capabilities of the v8 with tow package. Strong set-up.
  14. V

Towing in Overdrive...Bad?

I was thinking the same thing. Dont see where the harm is on a flat or down hill.
  15. V

Its the 6 speed trans..
  16. V

Dash Rattle Question.

I have a rattle that seems to be somewhere around the radio area of the dash. It sounds like a small bag of change (nickels, dimes, etc.) behind the dash board. Anyone have any idea about this? Its the only rattle I have and it drives me nuts!
  17. V

I have a 5000 lb travel trailer I have been towing with my 06 tow package equipped v8 Mountaineer. The owners manual states that you should not tow in o/d. What about if the road is completely flat or I am going downhill? Why let it rev to 3000 rpm at 60mph if you dont need to? Just wondering...
  18. V

Travel Trailer

Saw a second gen Mounty towing what had to be a 23 to 25 foot travel trailer on i 77 today.
  19. V

Travel Trailer

My wdh is a Valley product goood for up to 800 lbs. tongue weight. Cant remember what sway control is. Towed the thing out of my driveway to the storage area and the sway control kept locking up. I know its my fault. Need to learn the ins and outs of adjusting it. It will come with time. I will...
  20. V

Travel Trailer

Towed the new TT home yesterday. About 100 miles down all types of roads, i.e. interstate, small town, suburban strip mall, etc., etc..Mountaineer did great. I was alot more comfortable just generally manuvering around the streets and in traffic than I thought I would be. Handled the steep hills...
  21. V

Travel Trailer

http://www.stewartsrv.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09902613X8K11K2010J7I54I01JPMQ3706R0&veh=147957&pov=1387323 That is a nice looking trailer! This is what I will be picking up on Saturday.
  22. V

Travel Trailer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11954-Suc.../dp/B0019IL6EQ As far ar mirrors, I went with this for now. They were cheap (abot 20 bucks each) and are so easy to install/de-install. Another bonus is that once they...
  23. V

Travel Trailer

^^huh??^^
  24. V

Travel Trailer

I sure will. In the meantime, check this out. I really think you and I will be fine based on this. http://www.campinglife.com/output.cfm?id=2242963
  25. V

Travel Trailer

I have an 06 Mountaineer 4.6 with the factory tow package. I just purchased a 19 ft. Jayco TT that weighs about 4000lbs empty. I havent towed it yet. Picking up trailer this Saturday. After all the people I have talked to and the research I have done on this site, I think you will be fine...
Back