Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

2004 4.0 sohc lifters clattering ONLY when hot???

kinda. sounds like your is idle higher than mine but that could be the video
  2. Z

ill try to get a video. but it does it at idle up to about 1300 rpm. sounds like its low on oil but its not. or the noise you get on a really cold morning when the oil is really thick and dry up top
  3. Z

i have a 2004 explorer 4.0 sohc 115,172 VIN "K" engine built sept 18,2003. there is a clattering noise from inside the valve covers only when the engine is HOT. when the engine is cold there is no noise. no death rattle or lifter noises. just quiet 4.0. bought it with 59k. used 5w30 motorcraft...
  4. Z

2004 explorer 4.0 driver side head rear corner head gasket seeping?

2004 explorer 4.0 vin "K" 113,600 miles. analy maintained and runs excellent. never given me a problem other that your typical wear items. just finished changing the fuel filter on my truck and did a good look around for leaks etc. and notice the driver side rear outside corner is seeping some...
  5. Z

anyone use this cai for the 2004 ex 4.0

nevermind i looked it up by the part number on google and it isnt the same as the pic on the website
  6. Z

anyone use this cai for the 2004 ex 4.0

AFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake Systems Part # 54-10001. found it on Realtruck.com says it fits the 04 and the 05.looks like it has the spot for the maf to bolt on to
  7. Z

Trying to find a CAI for my 04 explorer sohc 4.0

ive been looking for a cai for my ex but cant find any that will fit cause of the MAF sensor style. the MAF is slides into the intake tube then is screwed down with 2 torx screws. the pipe that it is screwed to is molded into the air filter box cover not removeable unlike the previous ex's. i...
  8. Z

Oil leak, I dont know where to start...

any motor can sound tired after 200k but its the maintence that will get it another 200k. ive had customers with trucks with nearly 400k and they run better than the ones with 100k. the key is to maintain it very well. if you beat the crap out of it it just gonna eat money. fix stuff before it...
  9. Z

Ticking sound even when I just changed the oil, what do I check first?

it wouldnt hurt to check the rocker that ticking it the video is very loud
  10. Z

Ticking sound even when I just changed the oil, what do I check first?

i would bring the oil up to level i thinkg 20w-50 with lucas might be too heavy causeing the oil pump to have a hard time bringing the oil up top. i wouldnt go any heavier than 10w-40 with lucas
  11. Z

Problem with Dome Light

alot of dome light issue have to do with sticking latches /switch in the doors start there wd/40 or any penetratiing oil and once you confirmed thats it then try to use a gel lube spray cause the wd-40 will eventualy evaporate then it will stick again
  12. Z

Swapping Radio....

if it will fit in the dash. sure the wiring might not be the same though cause its a 6 disc
  13. Z

its never removing the valve covers that is hard its getting to them that is the worst.if its in the way then move it/ remove it. there is only like6-8 bolt per cover so thats easy. as for the headgasket vs rings i dont really know. but if you do a compression test and find a weak cylinder then...
  14. Z

Tow rope questions

if ever in doubt get the strongest explorer wont break it.i agree with him the looped style and the shakles for each end is a good choice can be easier to strap stuff
  15. Z

i dont know which gaskets leak most but you do have over 200k on the car so everything is fair game. check you valve covers gaskets, oil pan gasket, head gasket, maybe you double gasketed your oil filter sometime the old o-ring on the old filter will stick to the car and you wont know it and...
  16. Z

Gas gauge not working

it has the old fashioned electronic floating lever sending unit. the guages do a test to see if they are working everytime you turn the key on. but you probably have a bad sending unit. best to buy a ford part not a aftermarket part. aftermarket has more problem and dont rebuild it it not worth...
  17. Z

RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix

i had the same problems. change the switch on the master and bye bye problems. $34 to for what a rip off NH might not have sale tax but stuff is getting a bit pricey out here
  18. Z

Chipped Wheels (with pics!)

they might but if its the cleaner then why is it only near edges and not the whole wheel
  19. Z

Got body lift done (pics)

looks great just neeed to do something about that tail pipe/ exhaust system
  20. Z

Tow rope questions

what are you gonna be towing
  21. Z

i would do a realy good visual inspection for leaks top,bottom and sides of thr motor. if none are seen i would do a compression test to the cylinders. motor does have alot of mile on it so the ring could be worn. then do the coolant system pressure test for the hell of it. maybe its a gasket...
  22. Z

where is the Idle Air Control Valve on 2004 explorer

i have a 04 explorer 4.0 with the engine code K flex fuel engine with fly-by-wire throttle system and i was looking for the Idle Air Control Valve and cant find it. its not where they used to be on the older 4.0. i want to clean it cause im doing a bunch of maintence stuff before winter. it also...
  23. Z

Knocking sound under center console

it soulds like someting is hitting something due to the torque from the motor twisting everything when its first started. i would go under the car and shake your exhaust, transmission, driveshaft and everything untill you here anything.
  24. Z

Transmission problems!

i cant help you there but it sounds like you have one of those explorers that just hate their owners. my only opinion is to keep researching and look for a very good transmission shop that knows how to fix transmissions with out replacing everything until they hit the right spot. or if you have...
  25. Z

'97 explorer heater

i would check the motor, might be dead. check your switch that might be dead. if your getting power the the switch but none at the actuator plug its a god chance its the switch that is dead. check you fuses too
Back