Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

How to: 4406 Shifting: How To

Wow this is a great thread, I just installed my 4406 manual yesterday and I have all these same questions. I understood there was an electric clutch inside, but rather than use it to lock the front and back shafts so I shift on the fly, can I apply 12 volts and "lock" the transfer case output...
  2. G

Anyone have a custom steering wheel?

I'd love to get one too, but with all the buttons on mine, plus I'd probably have to pay for a new air bag, it would be pretty expensive. Do you know if they sell them for other cars with air bags? You're not wanting the chromed-chain one are ya?? (kidding!)
  3. G

Quad? Or Lift & 33's?

"...you want a more aggressive daily driver or you just want to blend in with the soccer moms." So.....do ya wanna lift it or be a soccer mom???? Haha, LMAO, good one Alec! :D
  4. G

Radio Display Problems

Do a search for "radio display fix" or something like that, there are several good threads explaining what the cause is and how to fix it. It worked on mine.
  5. G

Centerforce Clutch

Is 42,000 miles on a clutch all that bad for a truck with big tires and going off-road?
  6. G

my bulb blew up

How come you need to take the light out, did it leave some sort of residue that you need to wash out? The vacuum cleaner took me a couple minutes and the bulb was already out of the socket...
  7. G

All 5.0 with Flowmaster 50 SUV's for 5.0, can I get a part#?

Anyone with Flowmaster 50 SUV's for 5.0, can I get a part#? I want to install a 50 SUV series muffler on my 5.0 X. I can't find a good part number. Did you guys use the dual 2.25" in and single 3" outlet, part number 524553??? What happened with the stock "resonator" that's after the stock...
  8. G

my bulb blew up

I had the same problem, blew up (2) on the same side. I used my household vacuum cleaner and attached a small hose to the end of the vacuum hose w/ duct tape. I inserted the small hose into the light bulb socket and easily sucked out all the glass in just a few minutes. I didn't want to have to...
  9. G

3 inch body lift

3" BL I used the PA 883 kit for a Ranger on mine, just like most everone else. There are mods you will need to do concerning rear bumper brackets and bolt sizes, when you do a search you will find all kinds of help. Try searching for "pa883", I got 7 hits... Good luck and Aloha!
  10. G

front plate removal

I took my front plate off and it left 2 big ugly holes in the bumper cover! :fire: But I solved the problem by covering the holes with a new winch... :bounce:
  11. G

Helpful suggestion BEFORE adding bodylift

I have a hitch on the rear and I didn't want it looking like it was hanging down so far. So I only raised the rear bumper 2" and drilled a hole on the black plastic trim piece between the bumper and the body to put the handle through. Works great.
  12. G

front locker for IFS Xplorer.

Thanks, Jason_25 Is there a particular reason why the rear is better? I have IFS, so I guess traction would be better with more flex in the rear? Or is it better to push than pull? Also, I have LS on the rear end (and 69,000 miles), would switching to a locker be like going from bald...
  13. G

front locker for IFS Xplorer.

jobunn That looks like a really nice locker! How much did your rear locker help? Is it better to have a rear locker first if you only have one, and get the front later? Thanks
  14. G

Safety concerning Removal of sway bars

I still think the bars have nothing to do with dive. If you drove at 30 MPH and slammed on the brakes, and you could somehow stop time(??), you could ge out, unbolt the bar from either end, and it should not be under any load, just like it should be at a stop sign. Please, anyone correct me...
  15. G

Safety concerning Removal of sway bars

Disconnecting a bar won't make the truck have more or less "dive", it just affects the side-to-side. I disconnected my front one once and it scared the piss outta me. Yes, you learn to get used to it, but it's like having 15-20 PSI in your tires, it's not the first swerve that gets you, it's...
  16. G

Comment by 'GR899V8' in media 'More snow'

That's a great shot! Can't wait, they say snow in the hills here this week so I'll be up there after work!
  17. G

Eddelbrock, not what I expected

I also spent $300 on Edelbrock shocks. I hoped they would help on the washboards on gravel roads because the factory ones would rattle ya pretty good going real slow. I was disappointed in the Edelbrocks because they didn't improve the washboard effect, and the road ride wasn't nearly as...
  18. G

Light bulb part# cross reference charts?

I'm trying to find a brighter bulb for my car's parking lights. It's a Sylvania bulb and I can't find any cross reference charts. The original is marked as a whopping 5 watts. If anyone knows a link to a chart I'm looking for, please let me know. (I tried searching this site and can't find one...
  19. G

body lift tech help

section525, just curious... I did a body lift on my V8, I'm wondering why you asked if he had a V8. Is it more difficult to do one or the other? Thanks....
  20. G

Ceramic Coating Recommendation

Okay, I'll bite, why would you need to coat a stainless steel header? Better flow? Heat retention? Looks good? Thanks!
  21. G

What do your personalized plates say and mean??

My old one was FASRNU (Faster than you)
  22. G

Weird wiper problem

I had the mysterious wiper turn-on problem twice, they replaced the GEM module twice. Been okay for a couple years now. Bending the wiper arm solved my rear wiper problem too. Rear wiper motors are a fairly common problem.
  23. G

ICE ICE ICE ICE !!

It does flash for only 1-2 minutes. You can always press the button and turn the temp/compass display off if you like. But no, it is not annoying, in fact I miss it sometimes. With auto climate control, it's difficult to tell if it's getting colder outside, it just cranks up the heat more inside...
  24. G

91 xlt wont turn off?

Sounds like it may be "dieseling" on you. This is when it's running but you turn the key off, and it still "kinda" runs. I've had them actually run backwards for a short burst at the end and gasses/smoke comes out the intake. Ignition timing, idle settings, fuel quality, and the amount of carbon...
  25. G

Crutchfield support told me this.....

I have the Mach with RDS and subwoofer in my '99.
Back