Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Before I buy

Hopefully 01strunner and/or offtrac will chime here. I had the pleasure to wheel with both of them at Gulches back in 2012 I Believe. They both run 35's with minimal lift and still average around 15 mpg IIRC. With smaller tires like you're talking about you should be ok provided you keep your...
  2. R

metal shavings clean out?

Forgot to mention, a broom handle works great for pushing the rag through.
  3. R

metal shavings clean out?

Take a rag and fold it into a square and soak it in brake cleaner or gas, start at outer end of axle tube and push it through towards the diff. Might take a couple tries folding the rag to get a tight but not so tight you can't push it through. Check rag after each push so you're not just...
  4. R

What is the correct name and I need a source

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=227373&cc=1137912 Aren't these what he needs right here? Unless they don't have them and you don't know until you check out...had that happen before.
  5. R

Mile Marker or Warn Hubs?

Generally yes. My u joints are my weak link. I see you have a 99 so Idk if you're familiar with the ttb setup on the first gens and rangers up to 97. The only reason my shaft actually broke was because my u joint failed and snapped the shaft ears off. It also happened to be the slip joint shaft...
  6. R

Mile Marker or Warn Hubs?

Blew a miler marker going down the road on ice. May have been due to loss of traction gain of traction during a turn with a little throttle but not hammering on it. Switched to super winch premiums, snapped a stock axle in half on a trail rated 3-4 out of 5 no problems with the hubs though...
  7. R

94 Explorer 4WD issue

Need to check the front driveshaft after attempting to put it in 4 wheel drive to make sure it isn't in 4 wheel drive and the lights just aren't working. Not very likely imo but still possible. If this checks out have someone push the 4 wheel drive button while you tap on the shift motor with a...
  8. R

Clunk in front axle??

Ditch the auto hubs and get manual. I vaguely remember my auto hubs popping when offroad.
  9. R

help with my 4 wheel drive not engaging

My guess is the motor. Search on here for shift motor rebuild and it has good information. I couldn't get mine to work right after the rebuild so I bought one from napa for like 70 bucks. Worked great since replacing it.
  10. R

Need advice on this lift kit

No links or pictures? Can't really help without info.
  11. R

lift help/ question

You are correct as to where the adjustments are made, but to my knowledge the axle pivot bolt is a part of the alignment system. It's mainly for the caster though. When the pivot postion is changed (top or bottom hole) it allows for more or less caster. It all depends on what you need for...
  12. R

lift help/ question

35's require constant wheel bearing maitenance especially off road. Also really depends on what kind of driving and your driving style. Would 38's be ok if it was only a mud slinger? MAYBE. 38's on a crawling rig? I wouldn't do it by any means. I have broken a shaft with 35's.
  13. R

lift help/ question

I'd do a body lift and keep the 33's. Just a heads up though, keep an eye on where mud gets into on your truck. Axles, bearings, brakes, etc.
  14. R

lift help/ question

If you're happy with the quality of the lift you currently have and are just looking for more clearance for bigger tires how about a body lift? Unless you already have one. Also remember that with any lift the springs will settle over time. How much will they settle I don't know because I bought...
  15. R

front shock mount bolt or stud?

I believe it is a stud. Look on the back side and if theres a head try to unbolt it. If theres no head it should hammer out unless it has been welded. I haven't personally had to replace this so I'm not 100% sure. I have seen somewhere on here where someone broke it just like you have and...
  16. R

Axle shaft play

x2
  17. R

Project Green Hornet '01 Sport SAS

The search button is very helpful. Just a pet peeve of mine but I'm not a fan of seeing good threads get filled with questions that have been answered many many times throughout this forum. Also it seems like you didn't take the time to read 1-MEAN-X's first response to your question as you...
  18. R

Project Green Hornet '01 Sport SAS

You can say that again. I'm slowly working on my SAS and I've spent an easy 800 dollars. All I've bought so far is FW dana 44, gears, spool, and install kit. Plus the small stuff from parts store like brake cleaner and what have you. First I've seen of your build and its looking good. Maybe...
  19. R

Gulches ORV in SC (was Durhamtown)

Unfortunately I couldn't make it this weekend due to work. I'm definitely gonna keep an eye out for future trips there and other parks that aren't to far from me. On a side note how was the trip? Take any pictures?
  20. R

As of right now I'm looking like a no. What I'm hoping for is that we finish our current job tomorrow and boss man decides to start next job Monday rather than Saturday.
  21. R

I plan on coming but my weekends are never set in stone with work since I work construction. I'll know probably the Wednesday or Thursday the week of. I dont think I'll make the Friday but Saturday and Sunday should work.
  22. R

Fixed it today actually. Shaft got here Tuesday and I went today to pick up a u-joint, installed and ready to wheel. I plan to try that trail again and possibly the one shooterdude's friend tried in his jeep......tried being key word lol. :D
  23. R

Easy on the breakage comments ;)....been there lol.
  24. R

Another auto hub question.

Also make sure after you clean them you don't pack it back with grease, a mistake a lot of people make with auto hubs. I have manual hubs now but even with them I put a LIGHT coating of oil in the hub just to keep them from rusting. Grease does a good job holding on to dirt and other junk which...
  25. R

Keep me updated on this as I would actually like to wheel gulches for real lol. I am going to run that trail until I complete it even if it breaks the truck :D
Back