Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Brandons

F150 - warranty, tranny problems, what to do..

After a few days of trying to figure things out I have taken my truck back. The dealership I bought it from which is about twice as far away says they can do a lot more with it without as much hassle. I got a call from Barrie Ford telling me they will have to change parts in it however Ford...
  2. Brandons

So far I have towed once, a 5000lb trailer (this truck is good for about 11k lbs), otherwise it never tows anything except me. It has 84,600km on it or 52,500 miles. Ive read those transmissions can handle around 450hp :S
  3. Brandons

Last time I checked the fluid during the last oil change it was full and darkish red. didnt smell any funnier then tranny oil smells.. that was 5000km ago, the problem occured shortly after the oil change (maybe a few weeks). If they rebuild it and replace parts, thats fine with me they can...
  4. Brandons

Hey Brooklyn, I have been incredibly busy lately with the gf living almost 2 hours away and the new job. Everything is good next to the truck situation.. how have you been? They say it was just determined from a test drive, did not mention anything about codes and I have not had a CEL yet...
  5. Brandons

I bought an 06 F150 back in march and I dropped it off today for service (a few issues ive noticed, including a clunk when the torque converter comes out of lockup when passing someone on the highway). Ill mention it is under warranty until sept 2011. The tranny guy drove it and said it has...
  6. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

Changed the transfer case fluid and the problem is still there. Checked the front right CV shaft, appears to have some play (about 1/8") at the joint at the spindle. Not sure if its enough to cause issues...? I never drive this one, so I cant tell if there was noise before it really started...
  7. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

Came home tonight to an issue while turning. Seems to bind / shudder while turning, put it in 4x4 while turning at idle, and its enough to stop the truck. Checked the transfer case fluid, was not up to the filler and the residue was beige. Drained it and to my surprise it was purely light...
  8. Brandons

Brandons 95 XLT

Yeah I will likely just do that, the chances of me getting them off though are pretty slim.... rusted on baad
  9. Brandons

Brandons 95 XLT

Just installed new exhaust Wednesday night, Magnaflow stainless steel muffler. Passed its etest after sitting for 2 years :) Engine is acting ok, next to desperately needing plugs and an oil change, after putting the new muffler on.
  10. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

Added a K&N air filter using a custom made adapter on the MAFS. Still running well as far as I can tell (never get to drive it..). Power steering was acting up but is now ok.
  11. Brandons

Brandons 95 XLT

Well an update.. Got the trip permit on it so I'm now working on getting it ready for a safety and e-test. A small list of things to fix - E-brakes seized - 3rd brake light - One shackle has a hole in it.. welding a plate on it - Drivers door hinge loose - Check engine light, high-ish idle...
  12. Brandons

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild"

If there is power to the ballast and the fuse is before the ballast, then the fuse is good.
  13. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

Also previously added 2 extra leafs to each side. It was sagging to much for my likings, brought it up just perfect.
  14. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

Got an aux trans filter and cooler, and installed it, it was a ***** to figure out were to put it, make brackets, etc etc... But all done! The cooler is good for 24,000 lbs, not that it will ever see that, but this weekend it will have to tow 5000lbs (not including people, camping stuff...
  15. Brandons

How do I convert my 2004 4.6L engine to 2003 4.6L engine? I know weird question!

I wonder if you can just use an ignition and a working key with it (with PATS), leave the key in and hide it somewhere, then run the required wires to the ignition switch your using.
  16. Brandons

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild"

I just had to do this last night... safety is today and i forgot all about the 3rd light. Used 4 of the smaller light bulbs mounted in the dash light screw in things and glued sideways into the 3rd brake light mount.
  17. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

Ok found the 3rd brake light was toast and then discovered it was neon.. after some research and being out of bright-ish LEDs, I grabbed a few of those dash light clips and lights, and wired them up. also added a wire (to the outside of the truck) to open the locks since i havent fixed them...
  18. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

After around 10-12 hours of work on it, its on the road again! Coolant leak was the result of a blown lower intake gasket. Had to also replace the ebrake pads and disk rotors at the back (to safety it, which is friday). The parents want to tow their 5000LB trailer with it may 15th, i...
  19. Brandons

How to: Parking Brake Removal and Installation (with pictures)

Great write up, will probably be doing this tonight!
  20. Brandons

front wheel bearing help

Im probably going to be changing bearings soon in my 97, good to know Timken is what to look for :). Were using Timken bearings to replace all the old bearings in a Case loaders transmission :)
  21. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

5 speed auto :). As for 4x4 it acts like AWD which was apparently unavailable on the XL.
  22. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

K, ill keep on the look out for one. So far i can visibly see were the leak is coming from, however im only 70% sure of it.. waiting for the snow to stop and the warmer temperature to go back out and tackle it, partly because I dont plan to waste rad fluid testing it :)
  23. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

Still have the 94 on the road :). Still working on getting the 95 on the road (some issues changing the ownership over since i didn't get a receipt for it..). This one is leaking coolant down the side of the engine, so I'm afraid it may be a cracked block but ill be digging into it when its...
  24. Brandons

Brandons 97 XL

So I stumbled into another Explorer, this ones a 97 XL. Info - 4.0L OHV - 5 Speed Automatic - 3.73 gearing - Bridgestone Dueler tires - 4x4 - Aux Trans filter and cooler - Added leafs to the rear springs List of stuff to do - Change plug wires - New spark plugs - Touch up paint - Check out...
  25. Brandons

pulling tranny?

I would say you don't absolutely have to, at least in the 94 with auto. However it is so much easier when you do remove the Y-pipe. Managed to force it around the y-pipe every other time i replaced mine, but the last time I was using the new y-pipe that came with the headers and would not...
Back