Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Explorer bits to a good home

Hi All I have had a clear our in the garage and have collected a box of explorer bits which are going free. included are the following IAC Valve TPS sensor rear anti-roll bar repair kit (new) set of brake caliper seals, bolts and nipples (new) Good set of used upper manifold seals...
  2. J

Faithful Explorer for sale

Hi All So the time has come to sell my faithful Explorer, we have had a lot of fun together and I want her to go to a good home. Mileage is now 180k but as you can see below she is has had a lot of work done to her. I used her as my company vehicle so I have spent a lot of time and money...
  3. J

Free on-line manuals - any year!

Hi Guy's I found this on-line resource for tech repair manuals, go to this link: https://elibrary.mel.org/validate?ur...ch%3Fdb%3DCHLL When it asks for the login just type any letter and any 12 digits ex. a123456789123 (Michigan state drivers license number) on the left you choose...
  4. J

Looking for a 'new' Explorer

Hi all Looking to upgrade my ride and I'm faced with with two Explorer options I'm considering 1 - My current 97 is like a fathful hammer, it's had 2 heads and 2 handles but its the same hammer :) - if I keep her I need to go for a recon engine and gearbox (she is still strong on both) and...
  5. J

1997 - where is the anti-theft system

Before I start ripping the trim out of the rear quarter please can someone tell me where it is and what it looks like, All I can see is the rear washer, relays, switch and jack. if you dont want to post it please PM me with info cheers Jim
  6. J

rear gearbox rubber mount

I know I can get one at Rock autos for £7.50 but the postage is £25 on top, other than Ford dealers, anybody found a source of these in the UK (tried US Auto's no luck) cheers
  7. J

big discounts at Rock auto

I had an email today from Rock Auto, they have a closeout sale?? anyway if you follow the link below, there are some big discounts on quite a few parts http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1119675&m=wc&l=en&html=true cheers Jim
  8. J

Hot Conditions testing in Warwickshire

I've waited for weeks for a day like today- 32 degC at the weekend:D I've wanted to test the additional cooling on my autobox that I fitted last month. So I woke the kids up early this morning, loaded the truck up to the roof and connected up the folding camper. whilst Warwickshire is...
  9. J

band adjustment

I don't know why I was so worried about doing it, but this morning I did the brake band adjustment on the autobox. I had been planning the job for 2 weeks, have read every post on this forum, including the very good sticky http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160 but...
  10. J

normal operation or developing problem?

I'm not exactly looking for jobs to do on the Ex, but I want to know if i've got a developing problem. 1997 4.0 SOHC So this is what I'm seeing. With the OD off, cruising in top gear (about 50mph) I can feel the 1:1 clutch engage (which is good) and if I increase throttle the 1:1 holds...
  11. J

Wanted: to borrow or hire....

Hi All I realised recently that I have never adjusted the brake bands on the transmission (at least in 100k miles), and as I do a lot of heavy towing I figured I had better do it. to do this I need a 1/4" drive, inch/lb torque wrench. does anybody have one in the midlands I can borrow...
  12. J

1997 wiring diagrams

Does anybody have a pdf for 1997 4.0 SOHC wiring diagrams they can share? cheers J
  13. J

what transmission?

Starting to plan a transmission rebuild for the Autumn so need to be very sure of what auto transmission I have, which set of codes from my rating plate under the bonnet refers to the autobox, and are there any more interesting info on here? cheers Jim Code ...
  14. J

return from a road trip

Just back from a week long camping trip to Cornwall, the EX was fully loaded again as you can see from the pictures with the camper chocked with gear, the roof box full and the back to the roof (oh and 3 kids and the wife :D) we did a quick 900 miles including a few 25% hills. The additional...
  15. J

Roof Mounted TV/DVD

Well I have finnaly achieved peace in my Explorer! peace from my 3 children on a long trip that is! I bought a 14" flat screen TV/DVD combo for £135 from Amazon It fits behind the sun roof between the front seats. To mount it I had to but 2 strips of 1/4" ply behind the roof lining...
  16. J

Spark Plug Choice

As I described in a recent post I changed my plugs last week, Well I had to do it again today as I've had a week of misery and back firing. I normally fit champion NY12's but for the last change I could not get any so I went with the NGK PIR5D double platinum equivalent. So I replaced...
  17. J

Front crank shaft seal

To keep my wife happy I am systematically tackling the various oil leaks that keep my EX from rusting :) I have noticed that for a while now I have had a slight leak from the front crank shaft seal. it accounts for one drop overnight, between oil changes (7000 miles) I add about 1/2 litre...
  18. J

New spark plug record

Lovely sunny day so I decided to change the plugs - Set a new personal best of 35mins for all 6 :D my method only involves a stubby 3/8th ratchet, a 3" and 6" extension and 2 inches of gaffer tape. all plugs with the exception of the front left hand plug can be reached with the short...
  19. J

alloy wheels

I descided not to try and refurb my steel wheels so I'm picking up from Chris tomorrow a set of Northface Alloy wheels. I've found a local company to refurb them at £30 each inc tyres off and on and balancing, is this a good price? Also their web site has opened up my thinking as to what...
  20. J

understanding the ARC

Last weekend I replaced among other things the rear shocks, the old ones would sag if load was applied in the boot and the compressor would kick in and pump them up (with the load in the back it would cycle the compressor every 20 seconds. So after fitting the new back end (i.e. shocks) the...
  21. J

Help Identifying a cooler

I'm planning the fitting of my new Mocal Aux transmission cooler this weekend so started to have a look at the pipework I need to chop into tonight. Please can someone confirm my thinking and assumptions? At the left hand end of the radiator there is a water to oil cooler, it has two metal...
  22. J

Oil change Sucks

Last week I invested in a vacum oil changer from Machine Mart (£150) so first weekend I did the smart car, my wifes Trajic and the my fathers Fiat, very good, no mess and with a 16 litre capacity only one trip to the dump to empty. I came to do my Ex today and I can't get the pipe more that...
  23. J

free to a good home

So the back end change is going well, everything is off. Does anyone want the old back axle? I did the drive shaft bearings and seals last summer, at the same time I fitted new handbreak shoes, discs and pads (included) it runs fine but it will need new LSD clutch linings and the pinion...
  24. J

Rear end Rebuild

Over the past 3 weeks I've been collecting parts from all over to replace and rebuild the rear diff and suspension. So last night I finished the rear diff rebuild, with the good used item coming from chris, you would think that a rear diff for a car would fit across the width of the same car...
  25. J

steel wheel refurb?

I've given up trying to find a set of alloys and I'm too tight to buy new ones. So I'm thinking of sorting out my steels, the chrome on them is shot and won't clean up. Looking at them, the chrome covered steel looks to be a pressed and fixed somehow to the steel wheel. Does anybody...
Back