Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Puddle lamp/courtesy light bulb listed wrong

The courtesy light on the underside of the driver's mirror finally went out on my 2004 XLT. I googled and searched and found quite a range of suggestions for how to get access to the bulb. Everything from popping the lens off with a screwdriver to taking the entire mirror off the door and...
  2. J

Does CEL go off automatically if you correct the problem?

Thanks all, after a couple days I did not want to sit around and wait for it to go away so had the autozone guy clear it, even though he said they are not supposed to. Now I will wait and see if it comes back.
  3. J

Does CEL go off automatically if you correct the problem?

On my 1996 Explorer I got a CEL for a bad 02 sensor. I replaced it, and after about 2 hours of driving the CEL went away. Now my mom's 02 4.0 has the CEL on for P0401 EGR. I replaced the DPFE today as this is the cheapest/easiest/most likely culprit. I would prefer to let the CEL self-clear...
  4. J

Noisy Travel

Wheel bearings- it sounds like a warbling noise. I thought it was my new tires... turned out to be a wheel bearing. Now my new tires are nearly silent.
  5. J

AC only cold on half the vents

Just saw this thread again... I haven't been on the board for a while. Get this... my truck has gradually corrected itself. Originally only lukewarm air out of drivers side. All winter I did not use the A/C obviously. This spring the A/C would get pretty cold on all vents but only after 20...
  6. J

5w-20 dealer oil change

Normally I do my own oil changes but due to my current living situation I can't right now. So this morning I took the 04 Ex 4.0V6 in for an oil change at the local Ford garage and they had me ready to go in about 20 minutes. But then I noticed on the ticket that they put 5W20 in my Ex. The...
  7. J

What came stock, green or yellow coolant?

My 04 came with the yellow coolant. I should probably be thinking about changing it soon...
  8. J

lower ball joint replacement

20mm!! I hope this is a typo. At 20mm the ball would be departing the socket. The job is quite a PITA. You have to remove the driveshaft, press the old joint out, press the new one in. The press from autozone didnt work on my old '96 so I resorted to the BFH. Jot the job done but it...
  9. J

Switched power for satellite radio

To the Yellow and black power wires for the stereo. This way it's switched with the key. Jason
  10. J

Switched power for satellite radio

I have mine this way and I haven't noticed any drain.
  11. J

ebrake re-pad

I did it without taking the axle apart. It was pretty frustrating but I managed to stretch the springs on using a skinny screwdriver. Then it takes one or two test-fits of putting the disk back on to make sure you have the little adjuster set in the right position. I went with Raybestos shoes...
  12. J

Will 255/70/16 fit in stock spare holder?

Yes no problem, just did it myself
  13. J

255 70 16 on a 3rd gen

Hi all, Just wanted to post a quick note to let all the tire shoppers out there know that the 255 70 16 fits very nicely on a 3rd gen with no rub. These tires are an inch taller than stock, plus the height of the new tread compared to my worn out tires :) I went with the Michelin Cross...
  14. J

Trip/ODO Display Switching Back and Forth

Same thing here with my 04. Haven't figured out why it does it. Slightly annoying but I can deal with it.
  15. J

Sound from rear wheels

If you get the Raybestos brake shoes and the hardware kit from RockAuto its about $60. If you get the Ford parts they are $120 or so. Then it takes a couple hours to do both sides, at garage rates that's roughly $150- so thats how they get to $300. It's somewhat tricky to do since the brake...
  16. J

'02 XLT tire tips

Michelin Cross Terrains. Smoothest, quietest, longest wearing tire I have ever had. I have 63k on them now and will get 70. I only rotate them about every 15k miles and run them at about 36 psi. They cost a little bit more but you get what you pay for. You can spend $120 and go 45k miles or...
  17. J

Sound from rear wheels

It's the E-brake. The pad falls off the metal backing and slaps around inside the drums at slow speeds. The good news is your rotors will come off nice and easy since this piece fell off. It's not too bad of a job.. about $60 in parts and a little cursing trying to put it all together.
  18. J

2002 - Horn chirps twice but no doors are open

You are right, the radio and windows are supposed to work after you shut the car off until you open either front door. So it would have to be an issue with one of the front two doors. If I open the door and then turn the car off, obviously the radio and windows stop working as soon as the...
  19. J

Tornado Air

Please....If you are one of those people that see the Tornado and actually think it will give your engine more power and better fuel economy, you really need to evaluate your shopping habits. This is common sense folks... if a $2 twisted scrap of aluminum could give a $40,000 SUV better gas...
  20. J

12V line for the stereo

I'm pretty sure it's yellow. But do a quick check with the DVM just to be sure.
  21. J

Going to replace my tranny fuild..need help

Ghoster, you don't have a tranny dipstick. Sorry to break the news to you. Welcome to the wonderful world of sealed transmissions.
  22. J

a/c temps different passenger vs driver

I have the exact same problem, except its the passenger side vents that are cold on mine, the drivers side is warm. The system used to blow ICE COLD on all 4 vents up until a couple weeks ago when I asked the dealer to look into my compressor which was making a fast clicking noise. They...
  23. J

Component Install pics

Yes, they run down the passenger side floorboard right next to the speaker wire. I haven't had any issues. Twisted pair RCA's should help with this. Generally amp wiring kits come in 8 guage or 4 guage. It is important that both the power AND ground wire be the same thickness, so at a...
  24. J

Thanks but no, I have the manual control with no separate driver and passenger temp controls.
  25. J

I used to have ice cold AC on all 4 front vents. My compressor was making a pretty loud clicking noise so I asked the dealer to check it out under warranty. Well they didn't do what I asked and just assumed it was cycling.. so they "sucked it dry and refilled it". Now my AC is only cold on...
Back