Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

coolant EVERYWHERE!

Fill it up and get all the air out, if it does'nt display any leak warmed up. You may need to use a pressure tester to get the hose, seam, seal, gasket, etc. to leak again. If you were off road it might twist or work harder than in traffic so you suddenly saw a coolant loss earlier than normal...
  2. A

Should I buy this ex?

You'll like this, I hate waiting for buyers too. So did this seller I called once, to look at his boat. His ad gave no clue to location, when I called he asked roughly where I was, and inturn asked if I knew where a major highway entrance was. When I said yes, he replied that he would be...
  3. A

Hey new guy here and in need of some help..

the best bet would be to find the repair description on this forum. They have described and pictured how and where to cut an access door on the lower left section. I don't imagine the case can be split with all the vehicle components in place and the cost and labor to make it accessable...
  4. A

Power Converter question?(pics)

Check online, Maybe WestMarine for connections of that inverter. You might be able to tell if that pigtale sticking out was original or added- Maybe open it up. ( and maybe the spec sheet, output type etc.) There are basically two types of 115 vac outputs available from inverters. True...
  5. A

2005 Sport Trac transmission dipstick?

Good point, maybe the engineers thought it safer to keep their own people out also. But then again they 'invented' the oil pressure gauge operated by an on/off switch. Is that an industry trend to delete the dipstick on the trans?
  6. A

Hey new guy here and in need of some help..

Welcome! If the system is actually getting as cold as it should, and the blower is functioning well you should look at the following: The evaporator core(inside the A/C heater box behind the glove compartment) may be dirty preventing air flow thru it. The 'blend door' (same place) might...
  7. A

2005 Sport Trac transmission dipstick?

I don't know if this has been discussed before, maybe someone will know. In reference to the later sealed transmissions, is that an attempt to limit non-dealer interaction (and possible contamination of the factory spec. fluid. It seems like somthing that might be done to see if less...
  8. A

First wreck ever tonight

If I'm not mistaken, Ford had some recalls-and or law suits- related to sudden acceleration like you described. As I remember it occurred on some Crown Victorias and might have been an undesired cruise control engagement. Dry pavement will cause torque wind up of the front and rear...
  9. A

I need to know about how much (HELP PLEASE)

Call around to used auto parts places in your area, last time I paid $350 for one that was like new. All depends on what's around.
  10. A

Frustrating transmission problem.

Since you drove the doner vehicle, the trans was 'known good' but now shows the same problem as the old one. Make a list, don't check the item off untill you are sure, then put that one out of your mind, then move to the next. 1st - when you moved the trans/ converter, from the donor to your...
  11. A

Fuel pump / Fuel tank - Tips and warnings

When changing tank, pump, fuel filter, etc. with special factory fittings- they sometimes are in need of replacement but it is part of the whole factory installed line. Depending on the auto parts stores in your area, and the willingness of the counter person you are working with. There are...
  12. A

Fuel pump / Fuel tank - Tips and warnings

To those in here experiencing a no hot start condition, and thinking it is a fuel pump problem ie: starts fine cold, drive awhile, run in somewhere, won't restart (pump sounds different) let sit and or flip the key alot to build up some pressure- restarts maybe rough at first. I had this...
  13. A

$725 to replace fuel pump?

since you have it apart, you could check the sections of the motor armature for continuity and shorts, to see if it has a dead spot. ( ohm meter or battery and bulb, test light) I think some years regulate fuel pressure by controling fuel pump power. Also the power to run the pump has been...
  14. A

$725 to replace fuel pump?

Nice Pics, hard to tell- do / did the brushes want to stay down in the recessed guides, or was there some spring tension remaining. While some might go further, I think it's a safe bet to change at around that mileage if there is an excuse to go near it. ( not that you were putting that...
  15. A

5R55E lock up - what controls it?

I understand your not working under the best of circumstances there. re: lock up, it sounds like some here have done it with an external input. My experience with a totally different brand, was that in some cases the lock up solenoid would work with external power and or ground thru a switch...
  16. A

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

The switch and pigtail look like the ones used on a REVERSE light sw, for a Ranger 5 speed. - They may have the pigtail at NAPA or others, if you ask for it as a REVERSE light.
  17. A

5R55E Transmission Questions

When you say LUCAS oil product, I'm guessing you mean the one intended for Automatic trans. -I've used their products and usually have good results with them, improved shift etc. - But not for the symptoms you described. I have had extremely good results on several vehicles using the SEA FOAM...
  18. A

2wd quiet tires

I would highly recommend NOKIAN VATIIVA, excellent wet. I think there are also VATIIVA II more highway, but with the same haka sips to shed water.
  19. A

How to: Make Oil pressure gauge perform like "real" gauge

That's really annoying that they would go to the trouble to design the Gauge circuit to work like a light. They must have had too many low oil pres complaints somewhere along the line, so this was the answer to cut down on complaints. SAD! At the arcades and amusement parks, they just paint...
  20. A

Stalls when you put it in gear

Give this a try, I've had that exact condition and corrected it on several vehicles. Call around and find a can of SEA FOAM Trans Tune - pint can I think 8-10 dollars. Pour it in, drive around for 1/2 hour or so. Anytime I've done this the results were dramatic and almost immediate. I...
  21. A

How to: Make Oil pressure gauge perform like "real" gauge

While looking thru some of these oil pressure gauge posts I see similar conditions on other brands also. All the technical differences aside, The sender has oil pressure on one side of a sealed chamber - exerting pressure - causing movement. For some reason many sending units end up...
  22. A

need help please..

Check all of the basics first, make sure the brakes are not draging. If you have caliper assembly or piston that is not working properly it will act like the brakes are partially on all of the time. Probably worse as it warms up and starts to expand. The same goes for the parking brake...
  23. A

Quality Paint Cheap PICS

Looks nice. Just to be safe- is that the right mask for the paint you are using? Many of todays coatings require a 'fresh air mask' with an air feed. Just asking. Good Luck Really nice job around the doors,jambs, etc. - Sorry to hear you are having exposure problems, I did a quick search...
  24. A

Trailer lighting connections on 2000 EB

Welcome, If you search for you specific vehicle, you should run across the correct specifics. There are two basic options not knowing what the wiring kit you purchased includes. Typical trailer light kits tap into vehicle tail, L turn, R turn, ground wiring. extending those circuits into...
Back