Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

It sits in front of the radiator and the fluid is cooled by the air passing through it.
  2. H

Transmission fluid.
  3. H

I'm so stoked, I started this thread years ago and it's up to 25 pages! Wish I still had my Explorer... Dumb move selling it. Kind of funny as I'm putting this filter setup on my Astro Van this weekend. There is not a lot of space so I might have to go with the Magnefine inline filter.
  4. H

91 3.73LS on 33's blue 16 tooth other speedo gear options?

Can't recall, that post was almost 4 years ago. Basic advise is to use the formula above and get a couple of gears close to where you calculate you need to be. The gears were not that expensive back then. Install was quick, only a few minutes. Put one on, drive at various speeds with the...
  5. H

91 3.73LS on 33's blue 16 tooth other speedo gear options?

The gray one. It was real close to the GPS
  6. H

cold air intake or mod airbox?? Read this 1st.

Yep, shoved the snorkle in. Never got over 73 this afternoon... My Ex pinged after drilling the airbox out. Usually when you tried to accell at 45-50 while the TC was locked. Never got rid of it.. Astro exhibited the same behavior. Assmuming the Ex was the same problem. All the best.
  7. H

Got some PM's from some nice folks. I should have posted this. The software is from www.hptuners.com They are working on more support for Ford and Dodge right now.. Don't hate me for running GM these days :) Can't wait till they get Dodge support so I can tune my wife's Caravan :eek:
  8. H

Even though I no longer have the Army Bauer, I thougt this info would be useful to you guys. Once I get the lift kit on the Astro, one of these days, I'll post picks. I've been dinking around with engine programming and tuning lately and discovered something interesting. Since the Ex always...
  9. H

Hey, just fyi on this. I tried a small cartrige filter on my PS pump and after about two weeks it clogged up and exploded all over the engine compartment. Think there are some details on this very early in the thread. Never tried it again.
  10. H

Intermittant, on start only, black smoke, low power, good idle, CEL with no codes.

Follow up post. Looks like it was a flakey fuel pressure regulator. Never failed completly but was bad. This and a number of other odd issues were solved by replacing it.
  11. H

Popping, arcing sound, smoking. Top of motor wet.

Going to chalk this one up to a bad pressure regulator. Still no clue on what the fluid on the intake was. Idles a little better, too soon to tell about gas mileage improvement. Tasted a little gas in the vacuum port on the regulator.
  12. H

I did some more explorer popping searching and am going to replace the fuel pressure regulator this weekend. Heck it is 15 years old and I have had other unresolved engine issues with no error codes in the past. Will probably replace the original fuel filter also..
  13. H

Nope those are fine also. Can't be cooland as I have leak dye in the system. Stuff shows up like radioactive waste. Found this on a news group.. Found this on a newsgroup. Possible flakey fuel pressure regulator?? No blown vac lines though.. I bought a 1994 Explorer in July 96. That...
  14. H

Nope, brake system is new including RABS, master and superlift lines. Also tasted the fluid and it is not brake either. Also no brake lines run that direction. Made it home with no problems, drove the living daylights out of it on the way home. WOT, hard starts hard stops. no problem...
  15. H

Well I've moved all my gear and personal items to the back cargo area and am going to drive it home. If it burns up, guess I'll go get a new Toyota FJ.
  16. H

Came back from lunch and just about the shut of explorer when a number of fast loud pops, hisses and smoke began. Could be best described as a loud arc welder sound. No funny gauge behavior, quickly opened hood and saw smoke coming from the top drivers side of the motor underneath the...
  17. H

'91 Single miss 20-40 seconds after stopping

About 99.8% of the time. I had a car with a bad key switch once, you could be driving along and all would go dead, including radio. Go figure..
  18. H

'91 Single miss 20-40 seconds after stopping

Got another odd one I can't figure out. Occurs cold or hot, in or out of gear. About 20-40 seconds after coming to a stop I get one big engine miss/studder. The Volt meter and the fake oil pressure gauge peg down to zero and then pop right up. RPM's dip also. But it does not stall...
  19. H

No offense, but as the originator of this thread, let me say. "Holy Crap" that thing is 175 bucks!! That had better come with an "auto-suck" feature for that price.. :o I did mine for about 40.00... Don't care how good they claim it is, it is all in the filter.... I've been running...
  20. H

A4LD WOT upshift and kickdown control

Update, still confused. Trans is working better than ever, no idea on what happened. With the second click on the kickdown cable and backing off the modulator 1 turn the thing is behaving almost the way I want it. Ford ordered the wrong speedo gears, will be another week before the right...
  21. H

How did skiing go? No, have not touched the bands at all. Recall, as I am sure you get a lot of trans questions, I only did the TC, seals and valve body. I'm starting to think that the mud caused the kickdown cable to slip... I'm sure it has never been adjusted prior to that point..
  22. H

Update, totally confused. First a summary of the problem: Since the trans work I have always been able to bring it into the rev limiter on hard accel. Other than that the trans has been great. Went wheeling last weekend. On the drive up all was fine. Did some low temp wheeling and some...
  23. H

Thanks, I hope the trip was a blast. I can't ski anymore... trashed knees... :( Anyway morning update and recap. Speedo gears on order. Modulator adjusted outward, loosened, 1 turn. Drive to work this am. No real differance that I could tell. Perhaps shifting a little earlier...
  24. H

Checked my notes from the work I did on the trans. My bad, did not check/adjust the bands. Will have to get under it this week. I also backed down/out the modulator one turn to bring the shift points down a little bit. Have not driven it to tell anything yet. Speedo gears on order...
  25. H

Modulator good, fluid fresh and proper. When wheeling last weekend and trans is acting differant. About the best I can explain it. Yes, changed fluid and filters after wheeling. Thinking about dropping the pan and checking torque on the VB but normal shifting and driving is good...
Back