Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Symptoms of a skipped timing chain 4.0 SOHC

Hello, I've got a 2002 Sport, 150,000 mi and with the 4.0 SOHC in a No-start/crank condition. The shop I took her into thinks it's a skipped timing chain, and if it is I want to avoid putting anymore money into it and just send this girl to the junkyard. They say they can't confirm it is timing...
  2. W

stock 01 explorer, issue with the tach needle bouncing ????

I have the same problem, wish I had a solution for you!
  3. W

led dash light swap?

There is a pretty good discussion on this topic here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/headlight-head-light-switch-knob-turns-and-turns.488575/ I was looking at the philips 194 LEDs today, a bit pricey, but looked really nice. I understand there are 6 194s and 8 37s required. Mine...
  4. W

headlight head light switch knob turns and turns

Thanks J_C. Found the Philips 194LL locally on the shelf for about $1/ea in packs of 2, so cancelled the LEDs and just did that as you suggested. They had the Philips 194 LED there too, but at more than 10x the price didn't go for that. The remainder of 6@194LL and 8@37LL will arrive Monday...
  5. W

Thank-you Rick. Those look good.
  6. W

Thank-you. Since I certainly do not enjoy R&R'ing my instrument cluster (thanks for asking though :)) I had just bought a set of the LED 194s, and the LED 37s, was planning on replacing them all at once to hopefully be done with it. I think what you (and J_C) are saying is that you feel the...
  7. W

Good idea, thank-you, the lamp for the fuel gauge is actually already burnt out...
  8. W

The headlight switch has started to overrotate - still allows turning on and off (for now), but is rotated way out of position (pointed to 8'o'clock instead of between 12 and 2). There is a bit of springiness on the rotate (possibly like I'm twisting a wire bundle). I found threads on how to...
  9. W

Ford Dealer Diagnostic Fee - Flat Rate means ???

Will do. Sounds like I should have another look at that thread, it was a good one...
  10. W

Hi JD, In your experience does the "flat rate" apply to a problem diagnostic (telling the customer what the problem is)? Or is that different?
  11. W

Ok, thank-you very much for the replies, I guess I better tell the whole story, I was trying to avoid for the sake of brevity... 1. Original issue was quickly flashing anti-theft light (no-start). I tried to fix it myself (using the "everything you needed to know about PATS" thread), but...
  12. W

Ok, thank-you for the replies.. In my case the technician returned saying the diagnostic says replace the PATS (anti-theft) module. But the advisor said that can't be the problem, since it was just replaced less than 100mi ago.. So they need to do more diagnostic work.. I guess I need to...
  13. W

I wonder if someone could enlighten me on what the "Flat Fee Diagnostic" means, from Ford Dealers. My dealer told me there was a flate fee of $91 to diagnose the issue, but then called me back and told me that after spending that (??) they still couldn't find the issue, so I would either need...
  14. W

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

I don't believe it is a PATS problem. For PATS problems the theft light blinks rapidly (like 4x a second) and never goes off. I think it would be better to start a new thread for this issue...
  15. W

98 Explorer suddenly won't start - doesn't fire

that sounds like a different issue... Is the anti-theft light blinking rapidly (like 4 times a second) or is it behaving normally? If it is blinking rapidly, you can get the code to tell you why, and you don't need any tool. You just need to wait a minute or so, then the anti-theft light...
  16. W

glad it is useful.. Are you also getting a code 1-6 from the anti-theft light?
  17. W

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Just a little more detailed post on the codes is here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2077855&postcount=3
  18. W

Update, dealer came down $90 in their price to replace the PATS module, now $320 total. I'm glad I pushed them on the price! I hope this is the end of this story from my side!!! Thank-you to all who contributed, I really appreciated the support on this nasty one!!!
  19. W

Dealer confirmed it was the PATS module.. Second dealer wants $414 total to fix. 3 hours labor!!! First dealer wanted $270 including only 1.5hr labor. Called the second dealer, we'll see if they can come down on the price any.
  20. W

Update: Now after tow number three, it is back at another Ford Dealer... This time I checked to make sure it wouldn't start after it got there... :rolleyes:
  21. W

Yes, just the transceiver. The PATS module is behind the passenger airbag. But they shouldn't have, in the notes from Ford it says that code 1 6 CANNOT (and it is in all caps in the Ford info) be the transceiver. So the locksmith gave me part of my money back after I pointed that out...
  22. W

Hi, I did research this in the manual, there is bus communication (SCP bus) between the PATS module and PCM.. I checked that neither bus line was grounded.. thanks for the suggestions...
  23. W

I did unlock the PCM connector and check power and ground to all connectors on the harness side.. all good.. and from what you said above, as long as the "check engine" light stays on, the PCM has powered up fine, do I understand correctly? One thing I learned from this (and will add to the...
  24. W

Update I got a tow from the service station to the Ford Dealer. When it got there, it started up fine for them, no codes. The guy said there was only one code in the system, from a wrong key, and that is expected since the PATS transceiver was replaced.. But it was misfiring, which...
Back