Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Rear suspension options? 12"-16" travel, 6"-8" lift

I want to look in to options for my rear suspension so I can get it caught up to my front suspension. I think I am at about 6"-8" of suspension lift from stock. My front is running 12" of travel (6 up/6 down). I think the up on the rear can go probably about 10" up before the 35" tires start to...
  2. B

Android Auto head unit?

I have been reading thru similar threads, but they were all pretty old so I decided to start a new thread. I am looking in to getting a Android Auto head unit. Right now I am using a top of the line Sony single din unit, a tablet and my cell phone, but I am leaning towards the simplicity of...
  3. B

4R70W - upgrades for towing?

I figured this would happen. I recently replaced my 5.0 with a 331. Figured the 100K miles plus (previous owner had rebuilt) trans wouldn't survive long. It no longer has 2nd or 3rd after a very mild local off-road trip. I think a bit of the trail cruising I did in 2nd gear finished it off. I...
  4. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

My new motor is leaking oil where the heat exchanger is sealed to the block. Anyone know where I can get a new seal for this?
  5. B

A pillar gauge pods?

What options are out there for mounting 52mm (2 1/6") gauges to the A pillar? Does anyone make an Explorer specific triple pod?
  6. B

What PN Walbro 255LPH fuel pump?

I am looking to replace the fuel pump in the tank of my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 with something that can handle the 331 stroker engine I am installing. The engine tuning person I am using suggested installing a Walbro GSS307 or GSS315 or GSS317 255LPH pump in conjunction with an adjustable...
  7. B

cam synchronizer gear material?

Does anyone know what the normal material is for the cam synchronizer gear? This is for a 1997 5.0. I was working on the final details with my engine builder and he mentioned that I need a melanized or steel gear for the cam he used. Defiantly not a cast gear. I tried looking on the auto parts...
  8. B

Best radiator for 5.0 (347)?

I am in the process of having a 347 built for my 1997 Mountaineer. I figure while I am in there, I would replace the radiator with the best possible option I can find. I have seen the all-aluminum radiators on Ebay and I am wondering if that is as good as it gets. What’s everyone say...
  9. B

GT40P headers on GT40 heads?

Does anyone know what happens if you use Torque Monster GT40P headers on GT40 heads? Is there a spark plug wire problem with this combo?
  10. B

347 in 1997 Mountiaineer, what do I need to know?

My 5.0 has seen better days (212K miles) so I am looking to build a new motor for it. Since I do ALLOT of towing miles with it, I am considering building a 347 stroker for it. I believe that what I am after is an “off-idle” torque motor. All in by 5000 RPM is fine. It needs to be smogable in...
  11. B

How to troubleshoot P0308?

First off, I know that P0308 is a “misfire detected on number 8 cylinder”. My rig: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 AWD with the EGR port on top of the passenger side exhaust manifold/header A couple months ago I did a bunch of stuff to run my Mountaineer thru smog: Replace hoses that run from...
  12. B

Cold Air Intake CAI that has CARB Executive order number?

So, My MAC air cold air intake system does not appear to have an E.O. number so for the first time in 10 years, it is failing the visual inspection. To be fair, the last couple times I had it smogged (always at the same place) they warned me that regulations are getting tighter and they would...
  13. B

Upgrade to power steering pump?

A while back I added ram assist to my steering. This went mostly very well but the stock power steering pump isn't really quite up to the task of providing enough volume to allow for rapid/high energy steering. Basically, when I am U turning in the cul-de-sac I have to wait for the pump to catch...
  14. B

For Sale 200A alternator from? $20 in Los Angeles CA

I bought this from a guy who was parting out a limo. I'm never going to use it so it's up to you to put this to work.
  15. B

For Sale 2002 Ford 4.7 clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, $100 in Los Angeles CA

This was a Ford production line take off. It is exactly what Ford had installed on the production line. It came with a motor I bought. It is the Clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel from a 2002 Ford mustang GT 4.7l
  16. B

For Sale 5x7 H4 Hella headlights (pair) $40 in Los Angeles CA

These are a great upgrade. Low beam has a sharp cutoff like projector headlights. Comes with 60/80 watt bulbs...
  17. B

For Sale Early Bronco Yukon Dana 44 & CTM axles $300 in Los Angeles CA

These 4340 chromoly axles also have virtually indestructible CTM u-joints installed in them. The long side are brand new unused, un-assembled. The short side have been assembled and run, but are in great condition. I ended up getting a set of RCV axles instead.
  18. B

For Sale Early Bronco Ford 9" 31 spline Yukon axles $180 in Los Angeles

These axles are for the 11 x 1.75 drum brakes. I ended up going with disk brakes and had to change axles to do it. One axle is new, never installed. Comes with new Timken bearing and seal. The other has been ran for a while, has Timken bearing and seal installed.
  19. B

For Sale One (1) CTM u joint for Dana 44 $150 in Los Angeles CA

I bought this as a trail spare. Since these are so dam tough, I never used it. This will work on any Dana 44 front axle shaft that would use the 5-297X u-joints. These sell for $285.
  20. B

For Sale Spal pwm fan controller. $40 in Los Angeles California

This controller varies the speed of your electric radiator fan so that it only provides the amount of speed needed to cool your car. This also means that is doesn't have the strong current surge from turning the fan instantly on. It is not compatible with the Taurus fan though. Anything with...
  21. B

(SOLD) 2 inch receiver hitch from 1996 Explorer $20

This was installed on a 1996 Ford Explorer. Pretty sure it will work on any 1996 thru 2000 explorer or mountaineer. Bit Rusty on the bottom, but just cosmetic. Should be good for its purpose. $20 I could ship this at your cost.
  22. B

AC vent blower motor runs after ignition turned off

My vehicle: 1997 Merc Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AT with normal/manual climate control with knobs and dials, not the fancy digital one with all the push buttons. I had an issue where the blower motor for the AC and vents in the dash would continue to run after the ignition was turned off. Several...
  23. B

Where to put a secondary transmission cooler?

I have started doing allot of towing with my Monsterneer. The limiting factor for towing (heat wise) has started showing as the transmission. I have a pretty tired 5.0 (190K miles) in it now, but in the next year or so I am looking to put a hopped up 347 in it. That will really heat things up...
  24. B

For Sale SOLD! Stock Ford/Dana 44 locking hubs $20 for my time

SOLD! These are left over from several Fords I have previously owned. Nothing really wrong with them, they just were not compatible with the stub axles I ended up going with. They are made to work with 19 spline stub axles that most stock Ford ½ ton, Bronco or F150 applications use. Give me $20...
  25. B

For Sale Dana 44 Axle set $100

This is a pair of stock axle shafts in good condition. They came out of a 1979 Ford Bronco so they should fit any full size F150 Dana 44 ½ ton or Bronco application. They have 19 spline ends on the stub axle which is normal for most stock Dana 44 applications. These were removed from the axle...
Back