Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

My liftgate is opening while driving.

Came here looking for the same answer as everyone else. Since there doesn't seem to be a concrete answer, I'll probably try lubing the latch. If that doesn't work, I'll disconnect the rear latch because I use it maybe 3x a year and it's not worth replacing. I just had my '06 in for it's final...
  2. T

Exhaust flange broken behind the cat

I don't know if they increased the size in the later models. Remember, my 2006 was the first year of the generation so I'm sure there were several improvements as the years progressed. It's also possible I got a 2.5 and 2.75" flanges and don't remember exactly. Glad you got it sorted out...
  3. T

Sorry for the late reply. I used a split flange from Advance Auto https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/walker-flange-repair-kit-36132/26010005-P. I got both 2.25 and 2.5 inch ones and returned the one I did not use. Don't remember which now, sorry. The gasket was the OE donut gasket as my...
  4. T

How to: 2nd Gen Ford Explorer HID Projector Retrofit (FX-R)

Wow, nearly 5 years since I last replied to this thread. Time flies. I had picked up a pair of brand new take offs to do this project but never got around to it. I've now got twin toddlers and no time to even consider touching this project. If anyone's interested in buying them off me, send...
  5. T

Remote start installation

Any update on this LarryR?
  6. T

Looking through my files, your kit is the exact same model I installed on my mother's 2011 Milan! I've got the PDF that I used, but it only mentions cars, no SUVs or Trucks. My search suggested the kit you need is 9G1Z-19G364-A. I found the installation manual here starting on page 92. -...
  7. T

Auto-4x4 Disable(2WD Mode) The Complicated but Awesome Way!

Okay, you got another view from me. :thumbsup: Good video and good explanation. I had never realized (thought about) that the 4x4 was really on most of the time when there's a little slipping. I think it's worth doing this mod. Yours is super clean and easy for you and the wife to control...
  8. T

I installed two of these kits so far, one on my old 2011 Fusion (1-way) and another on my mother's 2011 Milan (2-way). I bought a kit (2-way) for my dad's 2005 F-150, but he has yet to install it. Anyway, you should be able to install manual online. I know, it sounds obvious. Too many sites...
  9. T

Auto-4x4 Disable(2WD Mode) The Complicated but Awesome Way!

Thanks for the write-up. I didn't quite follow (can't watch the video, I'm at work) as to how the toggle switch was activated by pressing the AUTO momentary button... or is it really activated by pressing the toggle switch in the other module?
  10. T

HOW-TO: 2006 Explorer Rear Gate Handle Sluggish

When I was away with the family on vacation over the summer, my 2006 Explorer rear door would not open. I'd hear it unlock/lock with the key fob, but when I pulled the handle, I'd hear it sound like it went back into the 'locked' position and the door did not open. I google'd and saw a...
  11. T

Update - I used a split flange as mentioned and had to increase the bolt length to 4" because it does not sit right at the flare. So far so good. I did not use a spring because the bolts I used (Grade 5) were 3/8" and the springs were way too large in diameter. Considering the length of the...
  12. T

Surprisingly, as the dealer told me the exhaust is regular mild steel, it looks to be in solid shape overall. Just this flange rotted off. That's why I'm trying for the flange replacement over cutting it off to put on a new stub with flange/flare. The new donut gasket arrived from RockAuto...
  13. T

Do I need a new spring kit? I was thinking I could use the old springs and just get new grade 8 or stainless bolts.
  14. T

The exhaust flange on my V8 just behind the cat is broken. The good news is that it is just a floating flange, not actually part of the pipe, so the pipe appears to actually be fine. I'd prefer to just replace the flange if possible, but it seems my options are limited. Either a split flange...
  15. T

what kind of explorer do you have and how many miles on it?

2006 Explorer Limited V8 4WD. 92k miles. Owned for 7 years now and put about 50k on it during that time.
  16. T

A/C only blows thru Defroster Vents

In my '06 LTD V8, on very hot days (90+ degree and black interior), I've noticed likely this door inside the center is not moving to put A/C out the main vents. It sometimes opens a little, causing the passenger far vent by the door to be cooler and the passenger side of the center to be a bit...
  17. T

4g Peeling Paint

So how to stop this from progressing, if possible. Thankfully, as originally posted, my locations are also fairly out of sight right now. I could hit it with a green scotch brite and paint it with something to try and keep the pain that's still in tact where it is. I'm still under the premium...
  18. T

4g Peeling Paint

Parked next to a 4g Silver (just like mine) at the playground yesterday. Spied some peeling paint on the top of their rear door, couldn't check the rain channels. It's at least a bad color, if not several bad colors.
  19. T

4g Peeling Paint

It sounds like both of you should vote yes then in the poll. Can you post pictures of your fender Trac? Do you think touching it up has slowed down its progression?
  20. T

4g Peeling Paint

Thanks Brian. I'm surprised by my being the only response about peeling paint. I'll try to post some pictures soon to see if anyone has any suggestions. I have a Premium Care ESP which will last me through December of 2018 but I will be forced to get rid of it if it's going to start peeling...
  21. T

4g Peeling Paint

I searched the 4g forums for peeing paint and did not find any threads. Hmm, is this just an extremely known issue to everyone that no one posts or is it just a "well, the vehicle's old so..." no one posted about it. My '06 LTD V8 has 89k miles on it now. I noticed last fall that my rain...
  22. T

Reposting with poll

Delete me
  23. T

Brake caliper seized

Dealer covered my front '06 calipers under the ESP but also forced me to change the pads/rotors while it was in there because the failed calipers caused my pads/rotors to be "unsafe to drive." See the link in my signature for details on that. Just goes to show that the Ford ESP can cover...
  24. T

New England Explorers - Still Active?

Central MA, Worcester area.
Back