Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

1998 Third brake light questions

1998 Model I noticed my third brake light was not working. Without diagnosing it at all, I ordered the LED replacement. It is my understanding that my "original" is florescent with a ballast. True ? Can anyone tell me if my new LED is just plug and play? or is there anything that I must do...
  2. J

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 LOWER RADIATOR hose

I just ordered and received a lower radiator (coolant) hose from Rock Auto. It is obviously incorrect. Upon looking at other on-line parts suppliers, they all seem to show the same hose (which is incorrect). My hose is definitely longer. It looks like the 1999 model year.. Has...
  3. J

Roush Supercharged Sport Trac Spotted . . . .

Roush Supercharged Sport Trac Spotted . . . . . Is this real ? Does anyone have any information on it ?
  4. J

I was going to buy an Explorer but I bot a 2016 F150 Lariat 5.0 . . . . . . .

I was going to buy an Explorer but I purchased a 2016 F150 Lariat 5.0 back in February 2016. During the six years and 130,000 miles I have had to replace the battery and tires. (each once) The brakes are still good, which is totally surprising to me. Can anyone say that about their Explorer ...
  5. J

Is Ford Motor Company in financial trouble ?

In the news: Why Bankruptcy Is a Forgone Conclusion for Ford Motor Company . Nissan too: Ghosn Predicted Nissan Will Go Bankrupt by 2022, Lawyer Says . Do you think this might be affecting Ford's quality and service ?
  6. J

Caption this

... Caption this ?
  7. J

AntiLock brakes cable connection problem . . . .

Passenger side front cable from the hub to the chassis connection is bad. The chassis (female ?) plug is damaged. Can I splice these cables together ? Is there an "easy" fix ?
  8. J

Speedometer stuck at 50

Can anyone recommend a mail-to business that knows how to fix this ? Odometer works fine.
  9. J

A/C compressors - are some better than others

1998 Mountaineer 5.0 I had a reputable air conditioner shop replace my compressor and just about everything else a/c related a few years ago. The compressor just failed. The same shop wants to replace everything again, and use the same brand compressor. It is a Global. They swear by them...
  10. J

Why is there no LIFETIME membership option on this site ?

Why is there no LIFETIME membership option on this site ?
  11. J

Right Front ABS sensor PLUG

I suspect the plug for the right front ABS sensor is bad . . . . the end that the sensor pigtail PLUGS INTO . . . not the pigtail (attached to the sensor) end. Can I cut and splice these cables together ?
  12. J

Side Mirror adjustment fix

My ability to adjust my side mirrors suddenly failed. I could adjust them "down only" with the toggle switch. I replaced the toggle switch with an OEM replacement, and it solved the problem.
  13. J

Any re-mfg engine regrets ?

1998 5.0 Mountaineer My engine and tranny are getting old (185,000 miles) I am considering replacing both with remanufacured and warrantied units. (3yrs on the engine, 1 on the transmission) My current engine does not burn oil, but I can tell that it is weak. My 4r70w has the shudder...
  14. J

Speedometer hangs at 50mph once warm

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 Once the vehicle has been driven for about an hour, the speedometer needle hangs at 50 mph. Odometer works fine Cruse works fine Overdrive works fine Whats broken or loose ? Also, I might have that cam position sensor squeak . . . are there any side effects that...
  15. J

Header Bolts for 1998 5.0

5.0 (302) engine. 3/8 X 16 ? or M12 X 1.75 ? 1 inch long or 3/4 inch long ? I Googled this and got conflicting results. Anyone know why ? Thanks !
  16. J

New Jeep Cherokee Model to Get 707-HP Hellcat Engine

Following the success of Fiat Chrysler's two Hellcat muscle cars - high-powered versions of the Dodge Charger sedan and Challenger coupe, -- the automaker is planning to put the 707-horsepower supercharged V-8 engine that powers them into a new model of its popular Jeep Cherokee, sources...
  17. J

4R70W Transmission shudder

170,000 miles AWD Shudders when shifting up into overdrive (4th) Replaced the valve body Flushed the fluid with Mercon V three times (completely) Tried friction modifier . . . it helped briefly What would you do next? 1. Replace transmission and torque converter with rebuilt and new ...
  18. J

F150 - Ecoboost vs. V8

First off . . . . Gas mileage and cost is not a issue for me ! I have been test driving the 2015 F150's recently. I have test driven them with the Eco-boost and the V8 engines. I have driven many, over the course of 3 months. It is my opinion that the V8 provides a much more enjoyable...
  19. J

GT40 vs GT40P Head / Engine / Manifold question

I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0. It was manufactured in 2/1998. It has the older style exhaust manifolds. Does that mean that I have GT40 heads and not GT40P heads ? What are the differences between pre-2/1998 and post 2/1998 5.0 engines ?
  20. J

$25 Ebay Steering wheel speed control buttons are crap !!

I purchased new speed controls from my 98 Mountaineer's steering wheel off Ebay. Boy are they sh!tty !!!! The damn things MELTED and fell apart. I am only posting this as a warning to anyone that needs new controls. I recommend that you spend the extra money and purchase Motorcraft.
  21. J

Wipers not working

1997 Explorer . Apparently there are 2 different wiper motors. One has a wiring plug that is larger than the other. This truck has the wider (or longer) plug. . I got a replacement, and if I apply 12v to the black wire and red wire terminals (there are many other wires) . . . the...
  22. J

Rubber finish on dash bezel & cupholder area

Is it possible to repair or refinish the "rubber like" finish on the plastic that surrounds the radio and cup holder area ?
  23. J

FOR SALE - KICKER WOOFER fits stock location

I have a 4 Ohm Kicker 8" woofer that will fit the stock subwoofer box. . http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad309/jcn30127/Kicker/ . $47 Shipped .
  24. J

Tranny Valve body replacement

Is there a step by step write-up somewhere that tells me how to replace the valve body ? . Typically, do the replacement valve bodies include everything I will need except the pan gasket, filter, and fluid? . I have read the thread on rebuilding the valve body . . . but I'd rather just bolt...
  25. J

Reinforcing a brush guard ???

After years of abuse, I'm about to remove my Rhino Brush Guard and try to straighten it out. This brush guard attaches to the truck with what I would say is a minimum of brackets and support. The brackets bend very easily. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do about it ?
Back