Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2000StreetRod

2003 Centennial 4.6L Engine Removal

Unfortunately, I purchased a 1 ton crane for removing and installing the 4.0L SOHC V6 in my 2000 Explorer Sport. At the fully extended boom position the boom was too short to reach the engine center of gravity. I ended up having to remove the front bumper to get the boom chain where it needed to...
  2. 2000StreetRod

ATF to Fluid Cooler for my 2003 Centennial

My 2003 Centennial (Ford 100th anniversary Explorer Limited) is equipped with an ATF to air cooler located behind the A/C condenser and in front of the radiator. The stock ATF cooling is adequate for normal driving on moderate days. According to my Scan Gauge II the external cooling loop opens...
  3. 2000StreetRod

DTCs P2197 & P2198?

2003 Explorer Centennial (Ford 100 year anniversary Limited) with 4.6L V8. Began dying at closed throttle so I replaced spark plugs and then IAC valve. At half full fuel tank added bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner. Tank now at quarter full. Engine no longer dies but still rough idle...
  4. 2000StreetRod

4.6L DOHC head cooling and crossover delete mods

I purchased a 2003 Aviator 4.6L DOHC V8 long block to eventually install in my 2003 Explorer Centennial (100th Ford anniversary special edition Limited). The driver side head casting has restricted coolant flow which was corrected in 2005. So I installed a modification to increase the coolant...
  5. 2000StreetRod

4.6L Dies at Closed Throttle

Last month my 2003 Centennial (Limited) with stock 4.6L V8 starting stalling when I released the accelerator. Since I have no past maintenance records on the vehicle I decided to replace the spark plugs. The old plugs looked good (no signs of detonation or fouling) other than having an excessive...
  6. 2000StreetRod

SOHC V6 - replace, rebuild or remanufactured?

In my opinion, except for three design flaws, the 4.0L SOHC V6 would be a well built, rugged and reliable power plant that could last 300K miles before requiring a rebuild. The block that is reinforced with a cradle (upper oil pan) is strong as is the crankshaft. The connecting rods, pistons...
  7. 2000StreetRod

Motorized pre-oiler

The Eagle rotating assembly for my 2003 Aviator engine is supposed to ship in a couple weeks. I want to install a motorized pre-oiler before I crank the rebuilt engine installed in my 2003 Limited. There are numerous turbocharger oil scavenge pumps available with a range in cost from $40 to more...
  8. 2000StreetRod

2003 Centennial Last Project Vehicle

Today I took possession of what is probably my last project vehicle - a 2003 Explorer Centennial with a 4.6L SOHC V8, 5R55S automatic transmission and rear wheel drive. The following threads are related to this vehicle: Next project vehicle? DOHC 4.6L V8 build Motorized pre-oiler 4.6L DOHC head...
  9. 2000StreetRod

5R55S/W Rebuild/Enhancements

The 2003 Explorer Limited I'm buying has 180K on the odometer and the 5R55S transmission has never been rebuilt. The only thing the seller remembers being done to the transmission since the vehicle was purchased new by her parents was fixing the overdrive when it quit working. She thinks that...
  10. 2000StreetRod

Evaluating 5R55S/W to 6R60 upgrade

It is commonly recognized that the 5R55E/S/W transmission series is significantly less robust than the 4R70W. The stock 5R55S/W has marginal reliability when coupled with the stock 4.6L V8. Since I'm planning to increase the flywheel horsepower (fhp) of a 4.6L by replacing the 2 valve heads with...
  11. 2000StreetRod

Supercharging a 2003 Explorer w Aviator DOHC Heads

This is a discussion thread regarding modifying the stock 4.6L SOHC (16 valve) V8 in a yet to be purchased 2003 Explorer with the heads from a 2003 Aviator 4.6L DOHC (32 valve) aluminum V8 I purchased and eventually installing a supercharger. The Aviator engine had two spun rod bearings that...
  12. 2000StreetRod

Cologne V6 Castings Research

I've started researching the castings incorporated in the V6 engine manufactured in Cologne, Germany with emphasis on the 4.0L SOHC V6. The information I find will be documented in this thread to keep it organized. I encourage others to add to it and mention any errors. The 4.0L OHV V6 engine...
  13. 2000StreetRod

How to: SOHC V6 Primary chain tensioner replacement

Background There are multiple possible sources of rattle for vehicles with the 4.0L SOHC V6. See Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6 . Sometimes the location of the rattle source can be detected by using a mechanic's stethoscope or a length of flexible hose. However, internal...
  14. 2000StreetRod

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

Recently there's been several threads about members purchasing a 3rd Generation Explorer with the 4.0L SOHC V6. I'm sorry if my advice offends any existing owners but I advise against purchasing one unless the original timing chain components have been replaced. Even though the timing chain...
  15. 2000StreetRod

How to: 2002 Explorer Radiator Removal/Installation

1. Remove the upper air deflector. 2. Detach the A/C tube from the retainers. 3. Remove the inner air deflector. 4. Remove the bolt and screws from the left side of the fan shroud. Discard the screws. 5. Remove the bolt and screws from the right side of the fan shroud. Discard the...
  16. 2000StreetRod

How to: 2002 Explorer SOHC V6 Front Cover Removal & Install

Removal 1. Disconnect the battery ground cable 2. Remove the radiator. See 2002 Explorer Radiator Removal/Installation 3. Remove the power steering cooler bolts (if so equipped) and position the cooler aside. 4. Remove the crankshaft pulley. CAUTION: The pulley retaining bolt is...
  17. 2000StreetRod

How to: SOHC V6 Heads removal/installation

The following applies to my 2000 Explorer 4.0L SOHC V6. Other years should be similar. Removal (Both heads) 1. Remove the lower intake manifold. 2. Remove the roller followers. Note: It takes a special tool to compress the valve springs enough to remove the roller followers. If the...
  18. 2000StreetRod

DOHC 4.6L V8 build

I bought a 2003 Aviator long block to install into a 2002 or 2003 Explorer that I hope to purchase in the future. See related thread: Next project vehicle? The Aviator was brought in to a tune-up shop because of a bottom end knock and the engine was swapped out to fix the knock. The mechanic who...
  19. 2000StreetRod

Next project vehicle?

I want a mid-size 4 door SUV to drive when my 2000 Sport is being modified. I was planning to purchase a 2000 4 door Explorer with the SOHC V6 to take advantage of what I've learned, spare parts and my SCT PCM programming software package. However, I realized that at my age my next project...
  20. 2000StreetRod

4.0L SOHC V6 performance heads?

I'm starting to investigate the availability of performance heads for my 4.0L SOHC V6. Morana Racing with a $300 core charge (for a pair) offers three options: Stage 1 for $700 includes rebuild, 3 angle valve job, match ported & lightly polished around the intake/exhaust ports. Stage...
  21. 2000StreetRod

How to: SOHC V6 Block Cradle removal/installation

1. Remove the oil pan. 2. Remove the oil pump pickup tube. 3. Remove the bolts. 4. Remove the rear lower block cradle bolts. 5. Remove the 8 inner bolts. Discard the washer shields. 6. Remove the outer bolts and nuts. 7. Remove the ladder frame and the gasket.
  22. 2000StreetRod

Decreasing IAT on my Supercharged SOHC V6

I installed a Banshee M90 supercharger kit on my 2000 Explorer Sport with the 4.0L SOHC V6 engine. The intake air temperature (IAT) climbed to 174 degrees during my last set of of pulls on the dyno. As the IAT increases the PCM reduces spark advance to avoid detonation. Max power is...
  23. 2000StreetRod

Wanted 01-03 Sport/Sport Trac 2WD spindles

I want to purchase OEM left and right 2WD front spindles/knuckles off a 2001 thru 2003 Explorer Sport (2 door) or 2001 thru 2003 Explorer Sport Trac (2004 thru 2005 Sport Trac may also be compatible). I may also be interested in front rotors and wheels off the vehicle. I'm not interested in salt...
  24. 2000StreetRod

two red SUVs

My plan was to sell my Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon, purchase a 4 door Explorer and fix it up enough for my wife to drive, sell the 2006 Highlander and then purchase a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee after the bugs were worked out their new 8 speed automatic transmission. However, last week while the...
  25. 2000StreetRod

How to: Self Tuning My Supercharged 4.0L SOHC V6

This thread will document my effort to tune my 2000 Explorer Sport powered by the 4.0L SOHC V6 with a modified Banshee M90 supercharger kit installed. The disadvantages of generating my own custom tune: (1) No previous experience in calibrating a PCM; (2) Long learning curve: (3) Risk of...
Back