Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Gas guage quite working

I don't remember which one was empty/full. If you are able to get gauge deflection by grounding the lead, then I would say its in the sending unit. When I was trouble shooting my system, I received no deflection when grounding and traced it to a fried resistor on the board I mentioned. Have...
  2. E

Gas guage quite working

I had the same problem when I bought my 94 Ex. It had 93K on it so replacing the pump was essesntial for reliablility on the back roads. However I found that this DID NOT fix the fuel gauge. If you pull the instrument cluster, you will see a small printed circuit board. This board monitors...
  3. E

Don't Buy Skyjacker Brake Lines

C.N It isn't from too much travel. It's because they point back, they hit the base of the shock when in a tight turn. I had the same problems, and they were installed the only possible way. It is a design error, get your money back. Joe
  4. E

?? Skyjacker extended brake lines ??

I Installed these lines on my 94. Under a turn in either direction, to the stops, the line hits the shock. I had one of those brass block crack on me leaving a parking lot. Do you have any pictures of that mod you did to the banjo fitting? Joe
  5. E

Snapped Brake Line!!!

Its a design issue. I too have those lines installed and they rubbed on the Skyjacker "Nito" shocks that came with their lift kit. I lost brakes coming out of a parking lot. I took some digital pictures and plan on calling skyjacker tech. assistance to see what they offer up. A local shop in...
  6. E

A4LD w/ no torque converter lockup at Altitude?

If your torque converter is not locking up, be careful. I don't know if you can monitor your trans temp but mine hit 230 before I would pull over to cool trying to make it to Gallup (counting on my mobil 1 trans fluid to hold up, still smells and looks like a peach). granted, I live in a...
  7. E

Excellent, I was unaware of a speed sensor being figured in on my 94. I thought that was used only by the trasfer shift computer. I knew that the computer controled lockup, but never thought of the increased TPS due to the higher load. I know that I have a Mechanical speedo, will changing the...
  8. E

So here is a question for all the A4LD guru's out there. I leave Phoenix for Colorado and find my T.C won't lock up north of Sedona. I am in the mountains, stock gears now running 33's (just a day old). Figured its a final drive ratio thing slowed down to keep it cool and pushed on. Hit 40...
  9. E

A4LD #2 Selective thrust washer

O.H you are exactly right, I was talking about the #4 Selective thrust washer. Steve, you tought me a good lesson. I bought the revised version and was told it contained "everything". I specificly asked about the update and he said "This is the revised one, you don't need the udate". I...
  10. E

A4LD #2 Selective thrust washer

My question is to all those who have rebuilt an A4lD. The trans is from a 4x4 Ex w/ 4.0. It had 120k miles, no previous rebuilds. During disassembly, I noticed that my ASTG manual mentioned a thrust washer located over the shaft on the back side of the intermediate support. My trans did not...
  11. E

Extra Clutches in A4LD O.D

I still toyed with the idea. I was thinking about having it surfaced 0.10, cutting it in half and then recessing the outer edge for the snap ring to ultimately aquire my clearence. Nobody was willing to chuck it up in a lathe because it was too hard. The reason why I wanted to beef up the...
  12. E

Unfortunately, cutting down the pressure plate for the O.D. clutch in the 94 A4ld won't be possible. The pressure plate only measures 0.2" thick, I would have to cut 0.118" to allow an extra plate/steel and maintain my .055 gap tolerance. I don't want to cut it down by over 50%. The good new...
  13. E

Ball Joints!

I just had a Ford dealer tell me my ball joints were bad. I have 115,000 on it and figured it was possible, but no way in hell was I going to pay the $900 they asked. Well, I jacked the front end, gave the wheel a good tug and I have no play in the front end.. This little check has always...
  14. E

A4LD question

Well, I know its a little late, but I had my trans flushed, by a FORD certified tech. when I bought my vehicle. It was "recommended". I walked away with that stupid happy grin on my face. By the way, my A4ld failed at 4200 miles after the flush.. The fluid was anything but red. Smelled like...
  15. E

Thanks for the quick post, it looks like you were right on the money. I will be calling them Monday. Thanks
  16. E

I can swear that I read a comment in one of the 5000 A4ld post that a company is making a kit to increase the O.D clutch/steel series from 3 to 4.. I think Opera House may have been involded in the post? Can somebody point me in the right direction? Joe
  17. E

please i need help.

Well, here I go. I am making a few assumptions here. The first is that with the headlights on, and you attempt starting the engine the lights do not go dim. I am also assuming that for every attempted start cycle (turn of the key), you get only one click (If either of these two point are not...
  18. E

please i need help.

We just need a little more info. If the engine doesn't crank and you hear a click or a repeating click, Check your battery connections and the ground cable first, that includes cleaning the terminals. Try cranking with the headlights on... What do you get? If the engine cranks, do you hear...
  19. E

A4LD Removal

Thanks Opera, I have read a lot of your posts regarding the A4LD. I have a Snap On dealer that I am going to try for the socket and a few longer extensions. I was wondering if you had any suggestions other then the ones you covered concerning the rebuild, yep you convinced me. If all goes...
  20. E

A4LD Removal

Go figure, I am in the process of removing my A4LD from my 94 4x4 Explorer. I was wondering if I had to remove the cross member for the radius arms up front to pull the trans.
  21. E

A4LD "Bump"

Alright, I started looking into the trans, dropped the pan and found that the fluid looked more like used motor oil then trans fluid. I filtered the stuff that stayed in the pan and found a lot of very fine metal particles. A mechanic has told me that some Ford toque converters were know to...
  22. E

A4LD "Bump"

The bumb is most easily noticed when at a complete stop with the truck in gear. If I put the truck into park or neutral the noise stops. I can only describe the noise as metalic in nature. After placing the car in gear with the e-brake on, I am almost positive the noise is originating from...
  23. E

A4LD "Bump"

I have found so many answers here, but not for this. My 94 X (with the A4LD) has a weird little thump to it. If I am stopped in any gear, I get a clunking sound and an occasional bump through the driveline. In park or neutral, you don't hear/feel it. I have noticed it while driving, only...
  24. E

Fuel Guage

Fuel Gauge There is a possible third problem. I have a 94 X and the fuel gauge read empty 95% of the time. I have had similar problems with much older cars and the problem was always the sending unit. I dropped the tank and checked the sendiong unit and it was fried, it read eratic unless...
  25. E

Explorer Heart Transplant

Beer, I'll give ya hand. This will be my first Explorer, but I've done my share of Fords. I'm also not too bad inside the engine. Also, If you just blew a head gasket you have some other options. Just let me know were you are in relation to Phoenix.
Back