Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

1st Gen SAS Toyota Steering Box??

Calling in the group on this one. I have a 93 with full width dana 44 1 ton steering with tie rod flip. I moved the axle forward a couple inches when building it a couple years ago. The 1 ton linkage is brand new. The problem is that because I have so little lift (~5" total) i'm smacking the...
  2. C

93 cranks no start code 14

I have a code 14 which is a circuit fault in the ignition... Where do I start looking though for the source? I can sas an explorer just fine but electronic issues are black magic to me. Just looking for a nudge in the right direction. Thanks
  3. C

Need An Engine Bay Ignition Switch

I'm alone trying to diagnose a no start condition on my 93. I really need a way to start the truck under the hood. I can't find what i'm looking for though. Any tips? Thanks
  4. C

5.0HO Resources/Advice

Hey all. I'm thinking about starting a rebuild for a 5.0 HO basket case I have sitting in the garage for the 93 expo. The heads have been stripped and I have no cam other than that though it's complete (in pieces). So I want to head to the pull a part yard and start getting some of the missing...
  5. C

Hand Throttle: HOW TO

Last night in chat I got a couple requests for pictures of my hand throttle setup. Thought i'd quickly do a writeup for those of you who would like to set one up. I had one on here a long time ago but no pics so it kinda sucked. My explorer: 93xlt, 4.0ohv, Manual transmission, electric 4x4...
  6. C

Fender trimming

Don't know where else to put it...Anyway I trimmed my fenders tonight. I like them :D I still need to trim the inner fenders and put the headlights back together.
  7. C

HF Winch Mounting Channel

Thought i'd post up the latest change to the explorer. Two years ago at a club run I won a 9000lb mile marker winch. Well since the explorer SAS wasn't finished until last fall and other delays I just now got it mounted. I used a harbor freight mounting channel, cut down to fit between the frame...
  8. C

Jegs Ranger Cage in Explorer

Hey been searching for awhile and haven't found much. Was wondering if a jegs ranger cage would work in a first gen explorer. I know it would need a a decent amount of modification but I can get it pretty cheap. From the pictures it looks like I could just extend it back and add some gusseting...
  9. C

93 xlt sas

I don't post here much anymore but since I got my start here I thought i'd post up. Got my explorer out of the garage finally. Still need to build a radius arm x-member, mount my winch, resolve a brake leak, and run rock lights/in cab winch controls. I currently have stock junk for the...
  10. C

Junk Yard Driveshaft

Hey, going to go to the junk yard this Sunday. I have an SOA w/ 9" and a d44 in the front (moved forward a couple inches). Curious for those of you who have similar swaps. Is there a good candidate at the junk yard for longer driveshafts? Just wondering.
  11. C

Tellico Action Alert Tellico Closed!!!

Time to put the pen to the paper guys! I'll be sending my this week. :thumbsup: Dear Interested Party: The USDA Forest Service is seeking comments on two proposals regarding management of the Upper Tellico Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) System: 1. An Environmental Assessment (EA) for the...
  12. C

Beefing Up My Crossmemeber

Hey guys, I don't post around here much anymore. But have a question that you all would be very able to answer. I need to beef up my tranny crossmemeber abit. I'm going to run a vertical piece up the frame rail starting at the tranny crossmember. The entire crossmember, including the RA mount...
  13. C

Boxer and McKeon Wilderness Bill

Hey guys, there's a bill that Barbra Boxer and Howard McKeon are sponsoring that needs shut down. We all like to go offroad, maybe you've been here, maybe not, maybe you're 2000 miles away like I am. It doesn't matter, our fight against trail closures and anti-recreation advocates can not wait...
  14. C

Dang, my driveshaft is too short

I went to start setting the pinion angle for my 9" yesterday and found that the stock explorer drive shaft is too short :( I screwed around with a few spares I had laying around but no way to build a longer one out of the parts I have on hand. For those of you who have done 9" SOA swap on a...
  15. C

Ford 9" Disk Brake Conversion

Well, since 8.8 brakes won't bolt onto a 78 bb 9" (even though they are "torrino" style flanges the bolt pattern is different). I started working on a custom swap. All in all it's comming in at less than 100 bucks too :D The mock up should be finsihed tomorrow. I am using .25" PVC sheets for the...
  16. C

8.8 disks brake converion for 9"

Ok guys, i'm really starting to get frustrated here. I have been searching for a definitive answer on this for months and keep getting jerked around. **Serenity now...serenity now** I need to know if a set of 8.8" backing plates and brakes can be adapted to a 78 9". I have heard "it's bolt...
  17. C

QA1 Heim Joints

Related to my last thread...kinda Any major issues with QA1 heim joints? I have read a number of threads at other places that mention nothing specifically negative. I don't really care if they wear out after a season or two, they are cheap enough to replace. I'm planning on doing my steering...
  18. C

Quick Heim Question

Thinking about ditching the TRE idea for a set of heim joints. Is there any problem with tapping the tubing directly for the heims instead of using inserts? Also, thinking bout this for the the trac bar, i'm not happy with the stock one at all. I'm thinking a 3/4" heim for everything?
  19. C

Fall Clean Up

Well...i think i need to spend a weekend working on the f150. It's black and is a pain in the butt to get looking the way I want. I use a decent soap and chamois to dry. The wax I use is zymol and it does an OK job but i still see water marks and very faint swirls. Would a clay bar help me with...
  20. C

Belly Pans

Hey, done alittle searching and not come up with much. I'm in the home stretch of finishing the fabrication for my SAS, going well, simple and well thought out (at least I think so lol). Anyway, after this i'm going to finish building the axle, but I'm also thinking about a belly pan for the...
  21. C

CP's SAS

Have a long running thread on another site but since the number of offroaders there is very limited I thought I could start one here as a clearing house of my work thus far and questions. I'll be kinda breif... SPECS (SO FAR): Dana 44 Ford 9" 3.5" wild horses eb coils Full spool in rear open in...
  22. C

'79 F150 Frame Width

Ok all, picking up the steel to build my crossmember/ra mounts tomorrow. I need to figure out the frame width of the 79 F150 that my axle came from. I have found online the number 34"s but I need to confirm it. Can anyone help a guy out :D
  23. C

Dumb Materials Question

Hey all with sas's. I'm going to build a new crossmember that will allow me to outboard my ra brackets. My question is very simple...is .25" wall thickness going to be enough? Lots of stress in this area I know so I would rather overbuild than underbuild! Planning on using 2x6x0.25 rectuangular...
  24. C

Rear 9"/CV Question

Couple quick questions. I want to rotate my 9" up to keep the pinion out of the rocks. I know that I need a cv at the x-fer case end to do this though. I have a spare front shaft with a CV...can I use it that?
  25. C

Final Axle Position

Hey all, i'm wanting to determine the final axle postion for my sas. I'm using a 79 D44, full width, stock 79 radius arm. I want to move the axle up as far as I can without changing any steering components. It'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of the picture below but as yall know this is...
Back