Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

98 4.0 4x4 thumping/shuddering under acceleration.....help please.

removed the front driveshaft u-joint and it moves freely. I assume it is good. while leaving the front drive shaft connected to the transfer case but disconnected from the diff, I can swivel the shaft and there is hard spot. not terrible but noticeable. this looks like a CV type setup. could...
  2. S

still trying to figure out how to describe this thudding/thumping sound.... maybe similar to that of rolling over very rough rumble strips ??
  3. S

hey guys - I have a issue and its driving me crazy not knowing what it is. it seems intermittent and by no means am I a mechanic but when I have one ride with me, of course the problem won't show up. I recently purchased a 98 XLT sohc 4x4 (auto - 4lo - 4 hi). two owner truck with 72,000...
  4. S

has my sohc had a replacement timing chain?

let me know if you have any luck getting your service records thanks
  5. S

4.0 SOHC Thermostat housing

two days ago i noticed this exact same leak on my 99 eddie. im hoping my thermo housing isnt craked and its just the gasket. my local advance auto parts has the felpro replacelment and a stant thermostat for about $16 ill be following this thread for any advice/info
  6. S

sure hope i have the same luck as you
  7. S

message center: how accurate is it?

cool. ill try that tomorrow. thanks man
  8. S

1999 xls 4wd 4.0 old guy in e. tn.

welcome from another east tennesseer ! ...im a noob also
  9. S

maybe its more accurate than i think it is
  10. S

im going to keep pussyfootin' it around. at any rate, it'll use less gas that way :)
  11. S

awesome! other guys on here get comparable mileage?
  12. S

Newbie Here. Just bought my 1st Explorer

thanks for the compliments and welcoming guys - much appreciated !
  13. S

thanks for the welcomes. heres a crummy pic from my cell
  14. S

i searched the threads but didnt really have any luck. if theres one out there on this, i apologize in advance for starting this one. just picked up my 1st explorer. 99 EB 2wd 4.0 with 169,300 miles. truck runs great. maintenanced well and kept clean. my message center has been continually...
  15. S

just picked up a 98 EB explorer with the 4.0. truck has HIGH miles at 169,300. its clean, runs great and shifts good. got to doing some reading on these sohc motors and about the big TSB on the timing chain. now im paranoid. i'm hoping mine has been changed (all 3 ). i called my local ford...
  16. S

Is this a good buy?

for $200 i dont see how you could go wrong. worst case if you bought it, decided it was more trouble than its worth - sell it and make money. i know theres people out there that would pay that for it. very worse case, take it to your nearest scrap yard and get your money back. last week the...
  17. S

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

98 Eddie with 169k just bought it 4 days ago. runs smooth/quiet. shifts smooth. maybe it wont blow up on me for a while :)
  18. S

one thing i noticed about mine is how quiet and smooth the engine is. no ticks or noise at all. ac compressor clicks now and then but seems normal. maybe mine is ok or has already had the timing chain issue addressed
  19. S

thanks for the welcome guys. ill post some up thru photobucket when i get home. work filters out photobucket and such :( these sohc motors seem to be pretty tough?
  20. S

hey guys- name's jeremy. just picked up my 1st explorer 2 days ago. thought i may be able to pick up some useful knowledge here with all you explorer experts. heres the info on my new ride- 98 EB 4.0 sohc 2wd 169,200 miles little nervous about the miles but the truck seems to have...
Back