Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Mustang Steering Wheel Conversion

Lol. Maybe a viable alternative. But my way worked flawlessly for 8 years.
  2. B

List of Useful Threads Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M

BM1354M transfer case (with full shifter assembly) is still for sale as well as the APC clear tail lights. Email me at bonesdt@gmail.com if you are interested.
  3. B

I just checked the Centerforce DF clutch disc I got for my 89 Dakota. It has segmented pucks on both sides of the disc. I understood this was normal for all applications. The pressure plate is installed, so I couldn't check it quickly, but I understood the weights were application specific if...
  4. B

IIRC, I believe both sides of the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch disk looked the same. "Dual" Friction actually means it has HALF the amount of friction area, putting more pressure in certain spots (I never understood the physics of this ... but whatever). Never heard anything about the two...
  5. B

Guys, I'm donating my Explorer to Kars4Kids. The BW1354M transfer case is out of the truck and for sale separately. The ultra rare FX4 transmission shifter is available too. If you are interested in the M5OD-R1HD 4x4 transmission (with the t-case shifter bolt bosses), you have to take the...
  6. B

I'm still running solenoids perfectly. Only other way I could imagine is getting a flash chip made to deactivate auto codes. I forget the company but call a flash chip company that knows Explorers.
  7. B

Find a real 4x4 transmission instead. To convert a 2wd trans to 4x4 is unreasonable. You'll need at the very least a 4x4 tailhousing and 4x4 tail shaft, not to mention probably new bearings/seals, etc. Where are you going to find a 4x4 tailhousing and 4x4 tail shaft? Well, on an existing 4x4...
  8. B

Ford Technical Service Publication Software for 64-bit & Win-8

I have a nice collection of '90's Ford Truck Service Manual CD-ROMs. You have to install the software from one of the CDs as a one time deal for each computer. The software is called "Ford Technical Service Publication System". I used to view these on Windows XP back in the day and recently...
  9. B

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Thanks Thallarsen!!! Just fixed mine! I don't think I would have figured this one out myself.
  10. B

You should have a M5OD-R1 in your Ranger. As far as the differences with the M5OD-R1HD, I have no idea. All I know is that 1st gear is apparently a lower ratio than the non-HD R1 and all the other gears are the same. This could simply be the only difference making it "Heavy Duty". It's...
  11. B

I'm a little confused what you're trying to do. I'm assuming you currently have an auto transmission with an electric transfer case with an automatic option (4405). Are you trying to go manual transmission manual t-case or both? If all you want is a strict 2wd option on the 4405, the Brown...
  12. B

The electric version of the BW1354 is likely the same length as the manual BW1354 (1" shorter than the auto electric BW4405); so if you originally have the 4405, then your going to run into the driveshaft problem when swapping in a 1354, be it manual or electric. Don't be discouraged. The...
  13. B

Close. You will need the spacer or LENGTHENED rear driveshaft. The Mustang spacer only lengthens the ds by 11/16", so it's recommended to have the ds professionally lengthened by the full 1" instead. I'm still just running the spacer AND I have the 1.25-1.5" Warrior lift shackles (so...
  14. B

Airbag light

It should be on the back bottom of the passenger seat. If you move the seat forward and sit in the back seat and look right under the passenger seat, you should see it. Are you sure you don't actually have side air-bags in your seats? They yellow connector end cap is for those who DON'T have...
  15. B

Slightly Longer Lift Shocks

Rancho now makes official slightly longer shocks for the Ex ... but too pricey for me. For the record, Energy Suspension 9.8101 polyurethane shock tower bushings is the correct model number for our Ex's. They are cheap, so I bought two sets and doubled up the bottom bushing on each shock tower...
  16. B

That's some crucial news! Did you actually have Ford reflash your computer? I would have dropped that $150 a long time ago!
  17. B

It's alright. It works perfectly well. I still have to make a bracket to lift the shifter higher for my 3" body lift as well as move it inwards slightly to fit in my full console. Honestly, I miss my 4405. 4wd High combined with my TT lift makes even moderate turns grind the CV axles to...
  18. B

Be wary of sites like fordparts.com. Just cuz they let you add to cart & enter your credit card and check out, doesn't mean they actually have the part. I've been there with dodge equivalent of sites. They send me an email later returning my money. The first step is to list out all the...
  19. B

Do you know where you are buying the actual transmission? Are you going to buy the smaller parts new from the dealership or do you have a donor Explorer?
  20. B

Adding Defroster Mirrors

I really wanted to add pins to the plugs, but couldn't think of a good way. I searched junkyards for the 7-pin female (car-side) connector, but couldn't find any. I think you can purchase the Motorcraft pigtail, but it's $$$. I figure I would have to splice a wire anyway. You would have to...
  21. B

Adding Defroster Mirrors

P.S., the wire in question is the skinnier green wire on the bottom. The fatter Green with the yellow, black & red wires is something else (Superlift Speedo Controller). Enjoy.
  22. B

Adding Defroster Mirrors

Here's how I routed my wire through the D-Side dash. Route it around the radio & splice it into the exact same DG/VT wire on the Defroster Switch. Don't forget to plug the mirror in & test to make sure it gets warm to touch.
  23. B

Adding Defroster Mirrors

Peel the rubber hose off the male side of the huge connector & wire-hanger it through the kick panel. Seal up the hose again, make sure your new wire is sticking out of the flat side of the hose, where there is a natural gap, that way the round part has a tight seal.
  24. B

Adding Defroster Mirrors

Moving on to the driver's side. Do the same thing, shorting out the 2 ground wires on the MIRROR-SIDE. Splice in a wire to the Heater Power on the mirror. The driver side hose has a crazy box on it. Pop the plug off the top & use a 10mm wrench to undo the bottom connector. Peep under...
Back