Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

V6 vs. V8: MPG

When I was buying my 07, V8s were hard to come by. It seemed only about 10% of the fleet came with the 4.6. I went with a nicely equiped v6 w/tow pkg. Our milage on the low side of what's reported here. My wife drives a lot of short trips which really hurts milage. I came from a V8...
  2. S

Anything to be worried about?

I tow the boat less than 500 miles a year and generally short distance on fairly flat terrain so, I haven't been following the 'exteme conditions' maintenance schedule. The trans fluid wasn't changed as part of the 30k service because it isn't called for under the standard schedule. You are...
  3. S

Anything to be worried about?

I've got an 07 V6 EB 4wd with the factory tow package (including the trans cooler, gear ratio and class 3/4 hitch) and about 35k on it. I was towing my boat home on a hot (100+) afternoon. The trip was about 3 hours and included some pretty steep inclines but, was primarlily down hill -...
  4. S

235/65R18 Cooper CS4's or BFG Long Trail

I Like the BFG I don't know much about Cooper but, I have the BFGs and like them on my Explorer. I've got about 10k on the set and they are the same size you are looking at. They are quiet, seem to be wearing slowly and evenly, and provide great traction on wet/dry and even snow. I'd buy them...
  5. S

Best tires?

BFG Long Trail TA Tour We've got about 10k on a set of these (in 18") and there is hardly any visible wear. They are quiet and work well in snow, rain and fire trails and, of course, pavement. They are WAY cheaper than the Michelins. Here's road test from Tire Rack...
  6. S

Towing

That's a BIG, HEAVY boat. I think you are going to be outmatched in just about any Explorer.
  7. S

3rd row seat broke?

That handle's purpose is to collapse the folded seat a bit and make a flat load floor. It only works when the seat is already folded. There's a red strap at the base of the seat accessable from the 3rd row. There's also a lever on the side of the seat accessable from the seat or outside...
  8. S

4.0 or 4.6???

Congrats, nice looking ride! Nothing wrong with being a V8 guy. I just wanted to add my perception as an owner. I've driven both and, for me, driving around town and even on the hwy, the V6 has plenty of power. Contrary to the EPA sticker, the V8 will give you better milage on the hwy but...
  9. S

4.0 or 4.6???

I too had trouble tracking down a V8 used. I was surprised at how rare the V8 really is. I bought an 07 v6 EB 4x4 with the tow package and 3.73 gearing. It has been a great truck. It pulls my 4000 pound boat/trailer just fine. I've got a good friend with a V8 LTD and his real world...
  10. S

Buying my first explorer .. looking for opinions

I've got an 07 EBauer v6 4wd and love it. What do you want to do with your rig?
  11. S

Max towing capacity for 2000 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC.

It really is juist too much weight. Your engine, tranny, suspension, brakes and steering aren't up to the task. If you are committed to the trailer, you are going to need a new tow rig. Maybe you can find an older pickup that's up to the task. If you are committed to your Explorer...
  12. S

Max towing capacity for 2000 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC.

You could get a V8... Actually, that wouldn't even do it. According to the Trailer Boat's Tow Vehicle Database, the 8 is only rated to 6620 http://www.trailerboats.com/towrating/ That's just too much weight for your rig. Even an Expedition would probably not be happy towing that much...
  13. S

Yet another Towing Capacity ?

So.. I bought an 07 V6 Explorer with the factory class 3/4 tow package. It's a pretty decked out Eddie Bauer with low miles and the price was right. I towed my boat a couple hundred miles this weekend, much of it in the mountains. There were 5 people, a canoe, the boat and a bunch of crap...
  14. S

Roof rack bars.

They are a dealer installed option and cost about $100. They should be the same for all 06+ Explorers so, don't limit your junkyard explorations to just 07 rigs. I spent the money on a Yakima instead. I only had to buy the towers because the cross bars from my previous vehicle (Durango)...
  15. S

The tow rating on the base Exp with the class 2 hitch is 3500lb regardless of engine. If your truck has a V6 and the class 3 tow package with the 3.73 gears (apparently discernable via the factory 2" receiver and 7pin electrical connector) you can pull about 5200lb. With a V8 and the class...
  16. S

The link didnt work for me, thanks for inserting the image. I understand that the tow rating of a current 4x4 v6 Exp with the 3.73 rear end is 5000+. That gives me plenty of overhead. I find the rear end ratio hard to spot as i peruse ads on the web. Is there a vin code or visual queue...
  17. S

I am looking at 06-08 used Explorers and am having an awful time getting a feel for a vehicle's tow rating. Is there an easy way to, at a distance or over the web, determine an Explorer's tow rating? I've got a boat that weighs 3500 on the trailer with gas and moderate gear load. I know...
  18. S

New 07?

Thanks Thanks for the replies guys. I just spoke to the dealer again and, he's still looking for $29k which seems pretty out of line, even for a decked out Ltd. He didn't seem at all interested in low to mid $20K range. I get the feeling it's going to be sitting at this dealer a while too...
  19. S

New 07?

Hi all, this is my first post. I love this site, I get the feeling I'll be spending too much time here. I am considering buying a new 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8/4WD. The truck has about 200 miles on it and was part of a bankrupt dealer's inventory that's been moved to another dealer. They...
Back