Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Disc brake anti-rattle clips...?

I think the reason kits don't come with the clips is that they usually give you adhesive to apply to the back of the pads before installation. It certainly doesn't hurt to reinstall the old clips if they're still in good shape. Ray S. in PA
  2. R

Help

Sounds like a leak in your intake system. You can locate this easily by using an UNLIT propane torch. First start the engine. Crank the torch up to release a sufficient amount of propane to enter a leak. Start by going around the perimeter of the intake gasket with the propane and work back...
  3. R

Flex Plate Broke

Flex PLate (and other) hardware One of the hidden bugs in replacing parts in a pre-owned vehicle (and sometimes factory stuff) is hardware. Quite often, a previous owner will replace a component with sub-standard hardware, particularly nuts and bolts that were rusted or damaged. This...
  4. R

Blinking CEL

CEL Blinky Define "blinking CEL" for us. Does the CEL stay on for any length of time and then go off? Or is it constantly flashing on and off, in which case I would suspect an intermittent wire or connection in the dash, especially since there is no trouble code stored. Also please be...
  5. R

93 owners manual online?

It's a good thing that J**P didn't have 110 volt hubcaps.
  6. R

Dump the stock fan for Electrics?????

It sounds good if you can find a blower that fits and delivers the same volume and velocity of air. Sorry about the joke, the devil made me do it......Ray S. in PA
  7. R

"Independant of Dealer" repair insurance?

There is so much fine print and "dealership interpretation" in these warranties it would take a good Lawyer who fixes cars (not very likely) to hash things out for you. By then, he's dug into your pocket deeper than the dealer would have charged. Auto repair insurance only insures one...
  8. R

Capless fuel system?

I used to live in NJ. Seen more big belt buckles and key chains on these attendants than I care for. I love the PA way; stick a credit or debit card in, select the octane and pump. Then go away.
  9. R

Capless fuel system?

They SUCK, too.
  10. R

How close have you been to running out of gas?

Just a reminder, guys,,,That fuel pump in the gas tank relies on the gasoline surrounding it to keep it cool. Running much below 1/4 tank takes away cooling for that fuel pump. Ray S. in PA
  11. R

stock sub 8 ohm or 4 ohm?

6 ohm stuff Try Crutchfield.com They're a mail order company that has a lot of automotive audio devices in their on-line catalog.
  12. R

Dump the stock fan for Electrics?????

Putting the fan in front of the radiator spreads the bugs out more evenly (that's a joke, son, pay attention). Putting a fan where it blows against the condenser and radiator probably won't gain you anything. Where the factory mounted it makes more sense.
  13. R

Hesitating

OBD Scanner If it's an "el-cheapo" scanner that only has blinking lights don't bother. Your "check engine" light or an ANALOG voltmeter does the same thing when you prepare the vehicle for code extractions. If the scanner you're buying is a numeric reader that's fine. I never used one, but I've...
  14. R

93 owners manual online?

They show up on E-bay quite often. If it doesn't show up just keep trying. A sure but expensive way to get one is buying it from Faxon.
  15. R

4x4 light but wont go out and wont work...

Click on the "4x4 Troubleshooting guide" above these threads. There is additional info in the threads about that bumper stop there...Ray S.
  16. R

Ladder rack

The rails on that roof rack are adjustable. You can loosen them to move the rails wherever you want them...Ray S. in PA
  17. R

Hesitating

Do a KoEo test using your "check engine light", read the codes and go from there. If you have a problem with this, reply and I'll tell you how it's done. The heitation sounds like a TPS with a flat spot in it. It's sort of like a volume control to let the computer know what position your gas...
  18. R

How to tell what series of heads from vin number?

10:1 compression heads require PREMIUM gasoline..OK if you can afford it.
  19. R

How to: 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement

Those ring shank fasteners always need the claw type upholstery removal tool to ensure a good contact around the fastener head area. Screwdrivers and butter knives suck for this job. The tool is too cheap to risk a butcher job. Ray S. in PA
  20. R

Brake Problems?

I agree with getting new or rebuilt calipers. Some years ago I had a hub fire caused by leaking power steering fluid leaking on the rotors. The fire destroyed the caliper piston boot and inside dust shield but nothing else. Easy fix! All I had to do was buy a $17 caliper kit from Ford and I'm...
  21. R

front brake question

Degrease the old snap ring and lubricate the spindle groove. A dry snap ring doesn't cause as many slippery problems that a greasy one does...Ray S.
  22. R

Brake Problems?

in April 2004 a similar situation arose with my '94 XLT. Those steel brake lines were rusting away. This suv is driven almost exclusively in Western PA and the PENNDOT crews use a lot of calcium chloride in their deicing mix. This stuff plays hell with steel. They use it because it is more...
  23. R

WTH is wrong with my truck?

I had the same problem 2 years ago on my '94XLT. Front U-joint was bad. Replace both of them while you're at it, and get the ones with the grease fittings on them so you can take better care of them.
  24. R

Battery Light On, Yet Alternator is Charging?

That's what it's all about...getting the problem solved. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Solutions are just as important as advice...Ray S.
  25. R

Battery Light On, Yet Alternator is Charging?

While it's true you can run a lot of vehicles from the alternator alone, it's not really advisable to do so for a long period of time. Yes, the battery provides the power to start a vehicle, but it also performs another function a lot of people don't realize. The battery also provides a...
Back