Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

It's possible. I am not familiar with the mustang other than I know they also use the same 4.6L motor. I'm sure it has a very similar wiring harness. The wire harness on the Explorer was chaffing on the cross member under the motor. The Mustang very well may have a similar cross member under the...
  2. K

Worst vehicle ever? 2002 Explorer according to CarComplaints.com

You guys have a point on the number of Explorers on the road. However, your statistics are also screwy. Not everybody that has had a problem with their 02 Explorer went to that website and complained about it. I had an 02 Explorer and while I never had any serious issues with it other than...
  3. K

Worst vehicle ever? 2002 Explorer according to CarComplaints.com

Has anybody ever checked out www.carcomplaints.com? It's a cool site where people can record their problems with their cars. Any car from any year. The site breaks it all down into statistics. You can select any vehicle from any year and see what the most common problem with it is. The...
  4. K

Compressor will not turn on. 2002 w/4.6L

If you have a 2002 to 2005 Explorer with the V8 engine, then you have this problem. Crawl under there and check it out.
  5. K

Wow. I'd imagine that every 2002-2005 Explorer with the 4.6 is having this issue or is going to have it. Glad I could help!
  6. K

What should I do about this rust? Pics included.

I have two rust spots on my 91 Explorer. One is on the passenger side, below the back door and just in front of the rear tire. The other is next to the rear window wiper. Keep in mind, I paid $800 for this truck. I don't want to spend two weeks making it look brand new. I just want to get...
  7. K

Ever seen a coolant leak from here? Pic included.

I did that both times. Still leaks. Ugh. I've never had this much issue with a water pump before. Anyways, this time, I'm going to apply a nice, thick bead of RTV, finger tighten all of the bolts, and let it dry for an hour. Then, I'll tighten it down the rest of the way with my socket...
  8. K

Thanks for the advice! It does appear to be coming from the crimp. I've never had to use stop leak on anything before. So, I don't want to start now. A new radiator is $130. I've gotta install a new power steering pump as well. I'm going to swing by O'Reilly's tomorrow and pick that stuff...
  9. K

My 91 Explorer has sprung yet another coolant leak. I replaced the water pump, both radiator hoses and both heater hoses. Now, I noticed this leak tonight. It looks like it's coming from the radiator. This is right underneath the radiator on the passenger side. I thought that this was just...
  10. K

Coolant leak. I can't find it!

Also, I don't know why, but it appears that I put this thread in the 95-01 Explorer forum. Mine is a 91. Can a mod move it to the 91-94 forum please?
  11. K

Well, I found the coolant sensors that you mentioned and they don't appear to be leaking. I wiped it down tonight and stared at the water pump for about 15 minutes while it warmed up. It appears to be leaking from the water pump gasket. It is a very slow leak and it doesn't appear to be...
  12. K

My 91 Explorer had a few small coolant leaks recently. One was the lower radiator hose, one was the bottom of the water pump gasket, and one was one of the heater hoses. I replaced both radiator hoses, both heater hoses and the water pump. After all of that, I noticed a small leak on top of...
  13. K

Cigarette smell. How do I get rid of it?

I've been trying to get rid of this smell for a week now. Spraying and scrubbing and cleaning. It's definitely better, but I could still smell it. So, tonight, I completely ripped the interior out of my truck. I removed all of the seats and all of the carpet. I then power washed everything...
  14. K

A/C clutch doesn't engage.

Your wire harness is probably chaffed under the oil pan. It seems to be a common issue on the 02 to 05 Explorers. I'd imagine that it is on the Mountaineer too. I had this same exact problem on my 02 Explorer with the 4.6L V8. The wire harness that contains the wires to the starter and the...
  15. K

A/C clutch doesn't work on 91 Explorer!

Okay. Here's how retarded I am. I was working on my A/C again tonight and getting nowhere. I was sitting in the drivers seat, frustrated. I was looking at the A/C control panel and noticed that it says "push of A/C". I just didn't realize that you had to push the fan knob in to turn the A/C...
  16. K

I put 12V directly to the clutch and it works. It's just not getting power for some reason. I can see no chaffed wires or anything. I've swapped relays and checked all of the fuses. Everything seems to be fine. This blows my mind.
  17. K

I bought a 1991 Explorer a couple of weeks ago. It's in really great shape and I've just been ironing out a few issues that it has. One is that the A/C compressor will not engage. The previous owner told me that the A/C worked, but it obviously doesn't. Not a big deal since I got this thing...
  18. K

Suggestions for $50 or less?

If you want to do something for the appearance, get a bug shield. Otherwise, get some good, Royal Purple 75W-135 gear oil for your rear diff. If it's not whining yet, it will be soon.
  19. K

Check out the sweet deal I got on my 91 Explorer!

The Febreeze seems to be working pretty good. It still smells a bit, but not like it did. The first couple of days that I drove it, I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. I guess that smokers don't realize that they smell like that. Anyways, it's doing better now. If the sun would ever...
  20. K

That 2nd gen is my neighbors truck. He bought it last year and got a good deal as well. I see a lot of Explorers here in Alaska.
  21. K

Cigarette smell. How do I get rid of it?

I just bought a 1991 Explorer that is in surprisingly good shape. The interior looks really good too. The only issue I have is that the previous owners were smokers. But for $800, I had to buy this thing. Everything works. What's the best way to get the cigarette smell out? Here is a...
  22. K

I had a 2002 Eddie Bauer edition Explorer with the V8, 4X4, etc. It was loaded. It seemed to be loaded with some silly problems too. So, I decided that since I was supposed to deploy to the Middle East at the end of this month, I'd put it on Craigslist. I didn't want to sell it too quickly...
  23. K

Good idea. I would definitely do something to prevent this from happening again. I wrapped mine in a thick piece of plastic and electric tape. Should hold long enough for me to sell this thing. :D
  24. K

Looking at buying 2002 Exp. Eddie Bauer

I have an 02 Eddie Bauer with the V8. I bought it a little over a year ago. It is currently for sale. Looking at it, it looks like a real nice truck. It only has 65,000 miles on it. But the transmission lags, the rear end howls on the highway, and I have a couple of other issues with it...
  25. K

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer edition with the 4.6L V8 engine. I discovered a problem, thanks to a couple people on this forum, that I'd be willing to bet others are having or are going to have. Especially if you have an 02-05 Explorer with the V8 engine! Recently, my A/C stopped working. I...
Back