Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Ilikemice

Free: Front Diff

Good point... It's 3:73
  2. Ilikemice

Free: Front Diff

From a 1999 XLT. The pinion seal went out and I thought I could fix it on the vehicle but couldn't re-torque it properly so I threw a junkyard diff on instead. I was going to learn to work on them, but life got in the way. It's taking up space and needs to go! It's free for collection around...
  3. Ilikemice

Ilikemice's 1999 "Meerkat" registry

I went on a road trip to the US a couple months ago and managed to find the location of the photo the previous owner sent. Setting Hen Butte, Valley Of the Gods, Utah. Recreated with our rental Jeep that broke down twice.
  4. Ilikemice

Still going

Hi all! I haven't been very active here because frankly my Explorer hasn't been used much. I got a new job about 6 years ago which needed a more economical commuter car so the Explorer didn't get driven a whole lot, but that's now changed! I moved closer to my office recently so I can daily my...
  5. Ilikemice

Front pinion bearing replacement - I think I messed up

Hi, it's been a while since I needed help, but today I screwed up! My front pinion seal was shot ('99 XLT Dana 35) so I figured I'd replace it. I ordered some crush sleeves too, but then after taking the yoke out realised the crush sleeve was behind the bearing, which wouldn't come out at all...
  6. Ilikemice

Front Suspension Corrosion

I tend to use Rockauto. It's American I know, but it's not so bad. Is it upper arms or lowers it needs?
  7. Ilikemice

Can't start 96 Explorer - Only key fob broken

I think I tried doing it with the tank in place but space is tight. It really didn't take long to drop the fuel tank. I did it in a very short evening in the driveway as I didn't fancy walking to work the next day!
  8. Ilikemice

Can't start 96 Explorer - Only key fob broken

If I recall the ignition wire is hot until it gets to the top of the fuel pump, which is where the immobiliser interrupts it (can't remember how exactly. relay perhaps?). All I remember is in an emergency dropping the tank and bypassing the immobiliser on top of the pump/sender. It was pretty...
  9. Ilikemice

Wiper arm wanted

Hi all, long time no see. I switched jobs so no longer daily drive my Explorer :( I do need a windscreen wiper arm or spring. One of my springs lost its tension recently which is super annoying! Cheers
  10. Ilikemice

For Sale: Genuine Motorcraft Muti-Function Switch

Hi, I believe there's a difference between UK and US multifunction switches... I had problems with my US Explorer and a UK switch didn't fix it, however a US one off Ebay did. I have a couple of UK ones kicking around if you'd like to buy/trade for your Rockauto one if you still think that's the...
  11. Ilikemice

My newly-bought Explorer is.. Alive, just. It has issues.

Hi, I might be able to lend you an engine crane, I'm kinda local Nuneaton/Leamington
  12. Ilikemice

Sad News

I'm sorry for your loss, Howard.
  13. Ilikemice

P0171/174 and P0442

Fair enough. I’ll keep looking into it! I’ve had a couple of moments where I thought I’d fixed it only for the light to come on after a few hundred miles which is slightly frustrating :D
  14. Ilikemice

P0171/174 and P0442

Hi, thanks for the replies! I wasn't able to purge it manually but I know the thing under the battery (Think that's the evap purge stuff) can get corroded but mine looks okay and didn't seem to leak from there. I've not seen the evap code since so it may be a red herring, and I certainly have...
  15. Ilikemice

Heater core fun

Aaaaaand it's all back together. Wasn't too bad really... would have been a long day or an easy weekend's work. You don't have to take the dash and steering column out entirely but it kinda helps :D
  16. Ilikemice

Heater core fun

You can't get the centre console out without one! :D Inlet gaskets were replaced, then re-fitted again after seeing the codes again... I'll try the fuel filter, but it's not super old.
  17. Ilikemice

Heater core fun

Hey all. I'm still kicking about with my XLT. Did a nine hour round trip and my heater core decided to leak! Also I'm getting the lean codes both banks. Checked all vac lines, did smoke test and saw no leaks. Think it might be fuel pressure. Anyone got a tester to check it? Could be leaking by...
  18. Ilikemice

Confirming leaking heater core

Hi all, i did an 8hr drive and the cabin started to smell like coolant. It's worse when the fans/heater are on. No leaks under the dash, but there's an open pipe on the passenger side sticking out of the firewall that now dumps a bit of liquid onto the exhaust when stopped. I'm ready to pull the...
  19. Ilikemice

P0171/174 and P0442

So I hooked up a crude smoke machine to it and put smoke through it at 2 bar. There was a tiny tiny leak from the line going from the valve cover, and (I think) a tiny leak from the main gaskets, but I reckon 2 bar is way too high of a test (is it?), and I ran out of smoke pellets :( The next...
  20. Ilikemice

P0171/174 and P0442

After a bit more research, could it be my EVAP purge valve lines? It might explain the vapour and vacuum leak codes. I'll have a look when I get home
  21. Ilikemice

P0171/174 and P0442

Hi all, long time no see! My US spec 1999 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 SOHC engine started showing a P0171 code. I changed the upper+lower intake gaskets but then it started showing both P0171 and P0174 codes! After clearing the codes it seems it will come back if I drive reasonably hard (For...
  22. Ilikemice

Ilikemice's 1999 "Meerkat" registry

This just squeaked through its latest MOT (stupid parking brake). Unfortunately due to a job change it's no longer my DD :(
  23. Ilikemice

Only RHD v8 2004 explorer limited in UK?

Welcome. Rockauto adds VAT onto orders so they sail through customs. You get items within days. I saw a third gen Explorer at Stoneleigh a while ago. Looked really good!
  24. Ilikemice

Modifying 2001 northface

Our trucks are the basically the same as the US ones apart from standard air shocks at the rear and being RHD. You can use longer shackles in the rear to get about 2" of lift and it's possible to adjust the torsion bars at the front to give them similar lift.
Back