Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Front end clunking

I replaced my control arms and sway bar links, which needed to be done having 111K miles, but still had a minor clunk so I replaced the sway bar bushings(Left and right sway bar bushings are different from each other). Problem solved. Hope this helps you. Doug S.
  2. D

Recent Aftermarket Stereo Install?

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/ilx-407.html PM sent. Doug S.
  3. D

Center Console latch problem

This is the long term answer to fix the problem. Doug S.
  4. D

Suggestions of Tint? 15% All Around?

I added the minimum percentage, I think it is 35%, all the way around on my 2008 Limited. It darkened the back sections up that were already smoked from the factory, but living in Texas, you are crazy if you do not have tint. The tint reflects the sun and harmful UV rays that fade and dry out...
  5. D

20" Tire Suggestions

Well, the search is over. I went with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas. After latching on to the last set in Texas through Firestone, I know I will be pleased with these as I have had them before on a Gen 3 Explorer. Discount Tire searched throughout the US to find a set and came up empty...
  6. D

20" Tire Suggestions

I am considering a set of Hankooks. Anyone have any experience with this brand of tire? I personally have been a Michelin and Firestone/Bridgestone man myself. The deal being offered on the Hankooks are almost too good to pass up. I read somewhere that they earned a Q1 award from Ford for...
  7. D

20" Tire Suggestions

How many miles have you driven out of your Pirelli's?
  8. D

20" Tire Suggestions

Does anyone in Explorer Land have any 20" tire recommendations? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  9. D

A/C smell? Drain clogged?

My 2008 is doing the same thing. Where is the drain line located for the front A/C and Rear A/C?
  10. D

2002 Parchment(tan) Leather Driver Seat Cover

Does anyone know where I can get a descent replacement leather seat cover for my 2002 Explorer? My car is really clean with the exception of the leather splitting like crazy on the sides of the seat. I am only looking for the bottom cushion cover. I have tried Tasca and they sent me the wrong...
  11. D

20" Tire Suggestions

I have an 08 Limited that has the P255-50-R20 Pirelli tires. I have a little over 20K on them and they are getting down to the wear bars already. Not impressed with the performance of this Pirelli tire. Any suggestions for replacement tires? I am considering a set of Michelin Latitude...
  12. D

2005 Ford Explorer cabin air filter location?

There is no cabin air filter in the 02-05 Explorers. As far as the fan blowing but no air moving, it sounds like your fresh air door is broken and has dropped down t the bottom restricting the air flow through the fan, happend to a friend of mine. Open your glove box all the way to look into...
  13. D

Best tires?

I have run several tires on my Explorers over the years on the Gen 2's and 3's and have had a wide array of experiences with several brands. Firestone tires were descent, back in the recall days with the ATX's and Wilderness tires. About 60K mile tires, so long as you kept them inflated around...
  14. D

Dash gauge cluster problem.

I had a similar symptom, only the air bag light came on and stayed on until I turned the key off and waited a few minutes to reset. Bad instrument cluster. Below are the links to the threads I started. It ended up being the same issue...
  15. D

2002 Explorer black pillar trim

I am in process of replacing them all. I have done the doors and planned on the rear hatch, but they sent me the wrong ones. I am waiting for the rear hatch's to arrive. Piece of cake to replace. 4 screws on the doors behind the rubber molding the window slides in. The rear hatch is riveted...
  16. D

Thanks Merc02 for the link for Tasca. They were wonderful to work with and I have added them as a favorite for future purchases. Pillars look great, my car is almost new again...without the payment!
  17. D

Need new front brakes

Motorcraft from the dealership is all I will ever buy. I have tried ones from the autoparts stores and the dusting that occurrs drives me crazy and has led me back to the Motorcraft pads. THe money I saved cost me more in replacing back to Motorcraft. No squeeking and a heck of lot less dusting.
  18. D

2004 Explorer driveline noise @ 66 MPH.

I agree with Brooklynn Bay, it sounds like wheel bearing. I had a similar issue with my 02 and it was both the front and rear bearings on the driver side that were bad. Had them changed out by Ford, quiet as a mouse now.
  19. D

Heating & air problem!!! Help!

Your blend door control box(acutuator) is broken. I have an 02 that I have had to replace the one for the rear air controls 2 times already. Bad design in my opinion.
  20. D

Thanks for the links and clairification. How they have the description worded was confusing. My Explorer will look new again once those flaking clearcoat trim pieces are changed out.
  21. D

Thank you for the link. Can you explain which ones I need. I have a key pad on the driver side of the car. They make mention to with and without a key pad and right and left. Is the with keypad right and left the drivers side of the car and the without keypad the passenger side. Can you...
  22. D

Does anyone know where I can buy replacement pillar trim for the doors and on the rear corners of the vehicle between the windows? I have done some serious seaching and am only finding CHROME crap. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. I have thought of just repainting, but figured I might try and...
  23. D

tires and optional sizes?

Had the original BF's, only got 30K out of them, put on a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L's, crap tire like the BF's, only got 30K out of them, pro-rated tire, so applied 1/2 the cost to a set of Bridgestone Alenza's. The Alenza's are not a bad tire for the money, got 50K out of them, proving...
  24. D

4.0 or 4.6???

I have owned 5 Explorers and have 2 currently, all with 4.0L V6's. I drove a V8 looking to replace my 02. My 08 seems to be louder than my 02 V6, however driving the V8 down the road, it was hands down quieter than my 08 V6. It was definately quicker too, however the 4.0L had the options we...
  25. D

2002 Air Bag coded 42

The airbag code lied in my situation. Ended up being a fault in the instrument cluster, requiring replacement of the entire cluster. May save a few headaches for you down the road. Good Luck.
Back