Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Anyone solved the 4WD light flashing?

Well I ended up getting a new one at the $tealer, and it seems to have solved the problem, for anyone else who may have the same symptoms, it's an easy 30 minute DIY job.
  2. B

Thanks, but I think if yours is a V8 it won't work.
  3. B

bump. Anybody?
  4. B

I'm having the same symptoms as some members have had where the 4WD lights flash when you start the car, then the windows and wipers don't work. Sometimes it'll go away on its own, and disconnecting the battery doesn't help for long. I replaced the rear driveshaft speed sensor and ohmed out...
  5. B

Are the Tornado intake things any good?

If you put any stationary object in the stream of a flowing gas it will serve as a restriction. Study some fluid mechanics.
  6. B

CEL and O2s questions

Maximum... I used to have the exact problem you describe - high speed cruising leads to CEL. Replaced both o2 sensors and never had the problem again.
  7. B

Yokohama Geolander AT & Dunlop Rover RV

Lovin' the Yokos I've got the Geolandar AT+IIs on my X right now, in 235/75R15, and they are awesome. Once I aligned my front end, they were whisper quiet, and they are wearing really well - 14k so far and you can hardly tell, but that's probably 75% interstate miles. With all this snow...
  8. B

Anyone know the Drag Coeficient and Frontal area for Exploreres ??

Yeah, the beetle's not that great. Neither is the TT. You would think they would be good because they're all curved front to back, but that causes huge flow separation at the back and a lot of drag. Ask someone who owns a TT why they had to be retrofitted with that thin spoiler.
  9. B

The coefficient of drag is based on frontal area. So while a sports car may only have a .3 Cd, the frontal area is about half of an explorer's. What they do is put the car in a wind tunnel with the flow at a certain speed, and either measure the force on the vehicle directly, or use...
  10. B

Dude, I just posted it. It's .42.
  11. B

Late model explorers have a Cd of about .41 or .42, frontal area of about 31 sq ft.
  12. B

manual hubs on control trac?

I used to have the ABS going off when I came to a stop almost every time. They replaced the wheel speed sensors and it cured it.
  13. B

5R55E Shift Strategy Diagram.

Whoops, got mixed up in the terminology, I remember reading about this a while back and if you go Dead Link Removed and read the section about the a4ld, it also talks about the lockup in the 5r55e.
  14. B

5R55E Shift Strategy Diagram.

I think that's cause 2nd gear isn't actually a gear. It's created by locking the torque converter to create an intermediate ratio between 1 and 3. Pretty clever idea.
  15. B

Slight Clunking

Try searching the forum for the word clunk or clunk* and you will find lots of info. It could be a number of things causing the noise - ball joints, torsion bar adjusters, etc.
  16. B

Front left end thump/knocking sounds

Yeah, I just took the front left tire off, looking for the noise. When I grabbed the caliper and shook it, there was like 1/10 inch of play. So I felt around for the bolts that hold it on to the spindle, and one was not tightened down. I just got a socket and torqued it down. No more rattle.
  17. B

Front left end thump/knocking sounds

This exact thing happened to me, and it turns out they didn't tighten the brake caliper to the hub/spindle whatever. A bolt was working loose, and it rattled and banged like crazy.
  18. B

TACHOMETER

bump for help on the sticky tach. same here.
  19. B

Newest ebay ripoff?

"The Twin Turbo Zet is not designed to improve vehicle performance via "boost". " He he. Kinda says it all.
  20. B

Safety concerning Removal of sway bars

Having my rear bar removed on the highway was almost unnoticeable. Driving without the front bar, however, was kinda scary. I wouldn't want to have to swerve around something without the front bar attached. I do detach the front when offroading though.
  21. B

If your 4WD switch looks like this AUTO, 4HI, 4LO then...

topo, don't do it. Did you read the conversation between dogfriend and I? Constant 12V wont work because the GEM sends a pulse width modulated signal to the transfercase clutch. You will probably fry it with 12V.
  22. B

If your 4WD switch looks like this AUTO, 4HI, 4LO then...

I know one of those patent holders well. Roger Simpson was my supervisor at BorgWarner this summer. When I mentioned that I owned an Exploder, he went on to tell me about his involvement in that patent. He also said that the BW controls detailed in that patent are not the ones Ford uses to...
  23. B

95 X auto 4wd????

Check out Dead Link Removed where we talk about hacking the 4wd system with relays that interrupt the computer's signal. Pay special attention to the last two pages where Jason_25, Jefe, and I are discussing how to use a relay and 12v to lock the electromagnetic clutch which drives the front...
  24. B

95' Tranny Fluid Change. Please Set Me Strait...

Wow, that's good to know. There must be a lot of mixing between the old and new fluids during the flush.
  25. B

95' Tranny Fluid Change. Please Set Me Strait...

Yeah, you have the 4R55E, and I don't know who told you about the 19 qts. Owner's manual says the total capacity is 10, so you would probably have a good flush if you just ran 2 cases into it, plus the 4 for the pan drop.
Back